15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2011 1:02 PM by ~graffiti

Enable Reader users to save form data

ibacrobat Level 1

We have created an Acrobat form that enable reader to save form data, however, it does not work for everyone. When they receive the form, they have a message stating that this cannot be save and can only be printed. Do they need to enable something on their reader? Any known reason for this? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Could be that they are using an older version of Reader. I think they need 7.5 (possibly 8) or later.

Without more info, it's hard to say but that would be a common issue.

• 2. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data
            ibacrobat Level 1

Thanks for the response. We all have Acrobat version 9 Standard version. Some can save the change others cannot save but print only.

• 3. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data

How are they accessing the PDF's? Are they on a shared drive on a server...etc?

The reason I ask is becuase whether the file is enabled or not, Acrobat Standard users would be able to save filed in forms. Enabling the file only helps users that have the free REader. I'm suspecting a permissions issue somewhere.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data
                ibacrobat Level 1

Each one of us have Acrobat installed locally on our PC. We use this form to send to customers. Some can fill the form and save others are get the Cannot save message. Our company does require licensing. But not sure why it would work on some and not on others. Is this a permission that must be enable during the installation or after installation? Basically, we want to use this feature and have it work for all customers. Thus, you believe that this may depend on their licensing? Thanks.

• 5. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data

Again, it could be that they are using an older version of Reader or perhaps a third party PDF viewer. There's not much you can do about that other than let them know that they need to have a newer version of Adobe Reader.

One thing that you should definitely take note on is that there are limitations to this type of use of enabled forms. You'll want to take a look at section 15.12.3 of the End User License Agreement to be sure you are not in violation of those limits. Mostly, enabled forms are intended for very small usage amounts. Be advised that Adobe will prosocute violations.

• 6. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data

One other thing, how are you enabling these forms? As far as I know, you cannot enable them using Acrobat 9 Standard. It sounds like we are missing some information here (or I missed something that you've written which is a possibility).

• 7. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data
                      ibacrobat Level 1

We have all our licences in order for multiple users. The feature "Enable to save form data" was found from the help search which I assume we did for the form we created and was not aware to any limitation as you mentioned (Mostly, enabled forms are intended for very small usage amounts. ) . Not sure which version was done to create this or if this was the method used. Everyone is using Acrobat 9 at least and some Acrobat X. We'll fruther review the End User License Agreement.Thx.

• 8. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data
                        ibacrobat Level 1

Could you direct where to find the section 15.12.3 of the End User License Agreement section? Search did not yield much. Thanks.

• 9. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data

ibacrobat wrote:

We have all our licences in order for multiple users.

That wouldn't do anything for an enabled form. The usage amount is per form rather than per license.

ibacrobat wrote:

Not sure which version was done to create this or if this was the method used. Everyone is using Acrobat 9 at least and some Acrobat X.

Acrobat X Standard "may" be able to enable forms. I don't have it so I'm not sure.

ibacrobat wrote:

We'll fruther review the End User License Agreement.Thx.

You can find the agreement at http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/. Scroll down to 15.12.3.

• 10. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data
                            ibacrobat Level 1

Good information, thanks. Reviewed the agreement and up to 500 recipients is allowed, which we're well under. However, this still not resolve the issue as some of them were unable to save regardless. We've only tested on half dozen people and 4 out of 6 have already informed they cannot save but only print. To recap, then, it could be a licensing on their side? or they are running an old version of Reader or Acrobat? We will try to have them check their version, update or if they are running the latest free Reader version or have licensing conflict.

• 11. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data

ibacrobat wrote:

To recap, then, it could be a licensing on their side?

No. Not a licensing issue. They don't need any licensing. That part is all on you, the creator of the form.

ibacrobat wrote:

or they are running an old version of Reader or Acrobat?

Not Acrobat. If they have the full version of Acrobat, they can save a form whether it is enabled or not. Enabling the form is for Reader users only.

Older version of Reader? Possibly. That would be the most common issue. That or like I mentioned, a different PDF reader altogether (like Mac Preview).

How are they getting these forms? Are you sending them the forms, a link on a web site...etc? If a link on a web site, if they save the PDF to their computer (rather than filling it out within the browser) can they then save it?

• 12. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data
                                ibacrobat Level 1

The same form was emailed to them.

• 13. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data

If you want, you can email me a sample of the form or post it somewhere so we can take a look.

Email to agdesignteam<at>gmail<dot>com.

• 14. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data
                                    ibacrobat Level 1

Thanks for the offer. Our team decided to create a web base format instead. Based on the feedbacks we received from customers, it is not a dependable way for us to use. Thanks again.

• 15. Re: Enable Reader users to save form data

ibacrobat wrote:

Our team decided to create a web base format instead.

I think that's a very good decision.