5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2011 12:13 PM by Peter Grainge

RH9 hangs on folder operations in big projects

Gravenstein Level 2

RoboHelp HTML 9.0.1, trial version. Windows 7 (32 bit), 4GB RAM. Projects local on C: drive.

I've been testing/evaluating RH9, and everything was going uneventfully with the smaller RH8 projects that I upgraded. However, when I brought in our two largest projects, I ran into a serious problem: I was unable to add, rename, or move folders without hanging the application. The status bar just toggled back and forth indefinitely between "Ready" and "Loading topic list" (the topic list was blanked). In each case, when it hung I would trash the cpd file before opening the project again. I also tried removing all PDFs from the project, but that didn't make any difference.

Any thoughts or suggestions, anyone?

Thanks,

G

• 1. Re: RH9 hangs on folder operations in big projects
          RoboAsh Level 2

Hi G,

Hopefully the Project you are working on is on the same machine and not on a shared drive (network)

Ashish

• 2. Re: RH9 hangs on folder operations in big projects
            Montage9

Robohelp 9.0.1.232 Win 7 64-bit

When we moved our project from version 8 to version 9 (over 1000 topic pages) there were problems. I forget now exactly what we had to do and even why we had to do it.... something to do with topics being in the project, but the project manager didn't display any topic files (or was it image files). We were advised to delete the .cpd file, re-open the project to re-build this file. When we first did this it appears as if the PC was hanging, but careful observation revealed that the hard drive light would flicker every 30 seconds or so.

I finally took the PC home, copied a complete set of project folders to play with, and left the PC to its own devices when re-opening the project to rebuild the cpd file. Some THREE TO FOUR HOURS LATER the project finally opened, with all file references rebuilt. I was then able to go to the live project folder and repeat the process - needless to say it was very frustrating to spend sooooo long on this, but it was infinitely better than re-writing the whole project from scratch.

Hope this might help.

Regards

Montage9

• 3. Re: RH9 hangs on folder operations in big projects
              Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

Lynn

Has this been resolved?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 4. Re: RH9 hangs on folder operations in big projects
                Gravenstein Level 2

Ashish, Montage9, thank you for your suggestions, but that's not where my problem lies. My project is on my C: drive, and conversion seemed to go fine. (BTW, Montage9, it's possible that your conversion was slowed down by your anti-virus software.) I am able to perform some functions in the project, just not the folder operations that I mentioned.

Peter, thanks for checking back, but it's not resolved. I filed a defect with Adobe, and have gotten an initial response from them requesting some further info and a copy of my project. I'll post back when I have news. In the meantime, my ears are open to more suggestions!

Thanks,

G

• 5. Re: RH9 hangs on folder operations in big projects
                  Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

Lynn

I cannot find it but I'm pretty sure this problem has been posted in the last few months. Maybe you can trace it.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge