11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2011 4:26 AM by Ted Smith

Desperately need help

MrsHenry44

I've had problems with premier

elements 9, being slow to load, but I've not worried about it too much. Now I have a bigger issue. First, I had a project

ready, but while trying to go online and do something while waiting, it closed and stopped the burning process. Now, when I try to load that project, it says it's not compatible with adobe premier elements. So I started a new one, and now, when I click and drag the menu templates, I get nothing...they won't go over to the menu screen. I click, drag, it shows me dragging the template, then shows the blue circle that indicates it's loading, then back to the white arrow, and nothing...absolutely no menu template is there. What the crap? Can someone help me? I'm about to make a stink about getting a full refund if I can't get these issues fixed.

• 1. Re: Desperately need help
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As we point out regularly on these forums, there are so many possible causes that we can't help without more details.

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get  it into your computer? When you started your project, which project  settings did you select? If you selected the proper project settings for  your camcorder, there should not be a red line above the clips on your  timeline until you add effects to them. Is that the case?

When  clips do have red lines above them, do you press Enter to render them?  (They will turn green and your computer's performance will improve  greatly.)

How fast is your processor and how much RAM do  you have? Which operating system are you using? Have you ensured that  you have even the non-critical updates as well as the latest version of  Quicktime?

How much free, freshly defragmented space is on  your C drive? Are you working with more than one hard drive? If so, are  all of your drives formatted NTFS rather than FAT32 (as they come from  the factory)?

• 2. Re: Desperately need help
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>while trying to go online and do something while waiting, it closed and stopped the burning process

OK... when you get things working again, you need to not touch your computer while PE is working with the hardware

An "abrupt" close like that could have corrupted your preferences file

Reset Preferences = Press/HOLD Ctrl+Alt+Shift while starting program

Premiere Elements Hang/Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Desperately need help
              MrsHenry44 Level 1

Ok, well, I'm not very technologically inclined, so some of your questions are another language to me, lol.

I can tell you this : it's a sony hd camcorder, but the clips were already loaded onto my computer...I just added to premiere elements through the computer, from my files. They are m2ts files. The first time, everything went beautifully (aside from extremely slow opening of premiere, but once it's up, everything is fine), it's just that the burning stopped when premiere shut down b/c I minimized and went online. I won't do that again, but it's irritating that I can do nothing else while something is burning. But no biggie. Anyway, it's this new project that I'm having issues with (since now that the older one was stopped during burning, it won't take that project anymore). Everything is fine, till I get to the menu template. Like I said, the menu won't appear in the window, and I've tried several different ones, clicking and dragging, and trying just to click on it and hit apply. I can't get a menu whatsoever. I did upload quicktime player (assuming that's what you meant), but it didn't seem to change anything. As to product settings, I can't tell you...I looked at that just now, and I don't understand ANY of it...I just used what was already there. I did render all the clips (didn't know anything about that) like you said. My computer is an acer 5515 laptop, 2gb ram, and I have windows 7 home premium. I know nothing about defrag space or drives, I'm sorry...I just don't even know how to answer that. I'm just frustrated, b/c the first one was fine, no menu problems, and now I can't get a template to work with at all. Thanks for any help you can give...hope my answers help you a little to understand.

• 4. Re: Desperately need help
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are able to do something one day, but not the next, then something has changed. The trick is to find out what has changed.

It could be as simple as your system's Hard Disk Drive(s) getting filled to near capacity, or something else.

The more that you can tell us, the easier it will be to rule things out, and investigate others.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Desperately need help

As Bill says, we unfortunately can't help you without knowing the answers to my earlier questions. Have you contacted Adobe Tech Support?

• 6. Re: Desperately need help
                    Ted Smith Level 3

Being not "technology inclined" has nothing to do with using a computer any more than needing how to repair the engine of your car being necessary to drive it!

All the things suggested are no more difficult to understand than learning how to DRIVE a car properly or use a mobile phone.

Anybody can get behind the wheel of a manual car and drive it away but you dont get very far if you dont know how to use the clutch or brake! (but you don't have to know how the clutch and brake work except it's handy to tell when they are about to wear out!)

Take some time to get to know the basics of a computer, like defragging and above all how to understand the HELP that Windows and all computer programs provide - that few people ever read.

I leant by looking at icons and menu items and if it wasn't obvious, I would search Help until I found what it was for

There is nothing 'technical' or really hard about any of it. It's a USER thing.

These forums are great for finding out things you didn't know existed - if you take the time to read old posts.

Incidently I always make a second copy of my project with a different name (Save As) after I have made a complicated edit during the course of a project because I have had power failures in the middle of an operation corrupting a project. PE9 does this anyway but at random times.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Desperately need help
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

The use of Save, Save_As and Save_As_a_Copy (plus the AutoSaves) is great advice. Were I writing a book on NLE (Non Linear Editing) work, I think that I would lead off with a discussion on what each can, and cannot do, how they are similar, but how they differ, and how to incorporate their use into editing a Project. I might loose a lot of readers with that opening, but for those, who get past it with an understanding of the operations, there will be great benefit.

Thanks for making mention of Saving.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Desperately need help
                        Ted Smith Level 3

I find it hard to believe that anyone who had ever written a letter on Microsoft Word wouldn't know what 'Save As' was for or would get lost or confused by it.

Then I forgot about my 74 year old younger brother who wrote and published 5 full book novels with it before he discovered it painfully, by having to rewrite half a book!

Some people have what they think is the inability to understand 'technoplogy' but I find that after they rid themselves of this phobia, anyone can understand it.

Other are convinced that learning the technology will somehow clog up their minds from the real task of creating content when it has been shown that learning anything increases the available neurons in the brain at any age, not just using up the available ones.

Now, where did I put my crossword?

• 9. Re: Desperately need help

You have a 74 year old YOUNGER brother, Ted!!??

• 10. Re: Desperately need help
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

I do not see it so much nowadays, but going back a bit, there was a widely held belief that using a computer was too hard for many. Back then, I used a technique that almost always worked. Most of the folk, with whom I dealt, were friends, family or good acquaintances. I'd spend some time finding out what there interest was, and then find a game, that had some similarity of theme. With the game, they became familiar with some actions, like mousing, or keyboard input, and soon learned that the computer was not going to bite. Usually, by the time that they had mastered that game, all fear was abated, and we could move on to word processing, or some other "real" task. One friend was heavily into military things, so he got F-16 the battle flight sim. Another was into heavy partying, and he got Leisure Suit Larry. On it went. When my nephews and neice were old enough, I introduced each to the computer via custom adventure games, that I wrote for them, often populated by family members and other personal touches. With the kids, who had zero pre-conceived notions, they took to the computer instantly, and those games got they fingers moving on the keyboard and the mouse. In no time, they each surpassed me!

With Save, few every get beyond the Ctrl+S (straight Save), and never explore Save_As, and even worse for Save_As_a_Copy. Those are features that most never bother to explore, and the assumption is that the latter two are just not needed.

If you asked general computer users to write a short paragraph on what each of those functions do, how they are similar, but how they differ, I doubt that 20% could get it right. They just have never investigated, and just do not know. The majority will learn just what they think they need to get by, and never bother with much in each program. Heck, though I have been a power Photoshop user for decades, I still learn new things, almost weekly in the PS forum, and I'm not talking about things new to a version - many have been around for a very long time, but I was too busy making money with the program to ever sit down and learn everything about it. Even an old dog, like me, can learn a new trick, and often one that's been on my very desktop for years!

Hunt

• 11. Re: Desperately need help
                              Ted Smith Level 3

I'm afraid we have completely strayed off this track!

Yes, I I'm 75 but I feel like I am 40 and can still run just as far.

I had a career in TV broadcasting engineering, starting in 1956, the year that TV broadcasting commenced here in Australia.

Those were the days you had to do everything by the 'seat of your pants'

No black boxes to plug in when something went wrong in those days!

Everything was live so you HAD to know how and why things worked otherwise a million people would would see your stuff up!

(I was always interested in film and video editing. I actually made the first videotape frame by frame animation sequence in the southern hemisphere on an Ampex 2" tape - another hollow victory!)

Back in the 80's I used the first Premier program capable of editing 320x240 pixels from a video capture card before Adobe added numbers to their versions.

Today I am still writing special quite complicated networked computer programs for our State Government, play the violin in an orchestra and currently singing and dancing in one of our State Opera companies.

That's why I still haven't got around to video editing my last two holidays in Turkey and South America.

Life is boring isn't it?

Ted