7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2011 2:27 PM by newbologist

Compatible with eSATA drives/cards?

newbologist Level 1

Hi all, so I guess the short version is 'anyone using this with an eSATA drive running into a PCIe eSATA card"?

Longwinded: I have a brand new video drive, however since my audio interface hates other things to be on the firewire bus, im thinking of just getting an eSATA card (this 1tb external drive has that multiple connections).

So im wondering if Adobe Premiere Pro has approved functionality when using eSATA protocols, and if so,

can I expect smooth operation when running sessions off the drive, and also when capturing thru Premiere, live into the drive?

Thanks for your anecdotes and advice folks!

• 1. Re: Compatible with eSATA drives/cards?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are some people here who use eSata... you might read in the hardware section

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum

>(this 1tb external drive has that multiple connections)

Well, without knowing the details of the brand/model of "this" I don't think anyone can give a detailed answer

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Compatible with eSATA drives/cards?
            Averdahl Level 3

I use this one without any issues with Premiere Pro and external HDD's: www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_e2p.html

I have also used their old 4-port PCI-X eSata card with no issues.

(I use an external HDD-bay and insert standard 3.5'' HDD's.)

/Roger

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Compatible with eSATA drives/cards?
              newbologist Level 1

John and Averdahl, thanx!

John i will check that forum, good call. Indeed, the drive is a Rocpro 850 (1tb with FW800/400, USB2.0 & eSATA connections)

Averdahl I really like this idea of the eSATA drive bay with swappable drives.

I will check with adobe and in the forum john mentions, to check with compatiblity for my drive...

Averdahl, btw what kind of CPU are you running?

thanks again folks!

• 4. Re: Compatible with eSATA drives/cards?
                Averdahl Level 3

Averdahl, btw what kind of CPU are you running?

2 x Intel X5670 in a HP Z800.

/Roger

• 5. Re: Compatible with eSATA drives/cards?
                  TradeWind Level 3

Generally speaking, when it comes to eSATA compatibility, you can expect eSATA to work almost identically to SATA.

That's the way it was designed....I suppose there are implementations of it out there that do not strictly conform to the specifications.

As for me, my eSATA ports are on-board and pass through (2 of them are on-board eSATA ports from the mobo, and 1 is a passthrough from a SATA 6Gbps slot to a connector on the front of my computer tower).

I didn't need a special card myself, and you may not need it either if you happen to have any currently unused SATA ports on your motherboard.

• 6. Re: Compatible with eSATA drives/cards?
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The E-Sata controller cards are more for Multiplexing support than anything else unless you just dont have onboard E_Sata ports. If you have a Multibay E-sata unit then you more likely than not will need an E-sata controller card since many onboard controllers wont handle the MultiPlexing. Also the mroe expensive E-Sata cards such as the Sonnet will give you better performance with the multibay units but not with single drives.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Compatible with eSATA drives/cards?
                      newbologist Level 1

Christian and Eric, these responses are extremely helpful, thank you kindly!

Christian: your post got me pumped at the prospect of not using up a PCIe slot for the eSATA card.

It may still be necessary to get the card, based on the maximum limit on the internal SATA bus in my mac.

I run a Mac Pro Xeon quad 2.66ghz and allegedly this system will only run optimally with a max of 2TB internal bus drives.

With three in the bays totalling around 1.3tb, using the new external 1 tb on the bus chain would put it over the top, possibly causing problems.

Could be a non-issue though, so I will do some digging. Might get the card Eric suggests regardless,

in case I'd like to expand to a multiplexing bay in the future.

Thanks again for reading and much oblidged for giving me these tips folks!