2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2011 12:52 PM by UbuntuPenguin

Handling Super Large Images in Flex

William Spence

I am making an AIR application for a client whose users are mostly professional photographers.  These guys shoot on high end Canon and Nikon DSLRs that shoot in the range of 24MP images.  I need to create thumbnails in my application so I am using bitmap and bitmapData objects a lot, and the program works fine until you try and upload a really large image.  Apparently, bitmaps can be as large as 8191 pixels in height or width, but the total pixels cannot exceed approximately 16million, but these guys have images in the 22million pixel range.  Does anyone know if there is a way to get around these limitations?  Maybe a way to resize them before import, or using Pixel Bender, or any homemade Matrix solutions at all?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Handling Super Large Images in Flex
          aktell2007 Level 1

Hi there,

First up I like to mention that I do these kinds of things for Artists, Models and Photographers for some time now, but I had never such problems because there is no need to show that kind of pixel resolution - admirable, but totally unnecessary even for a DeskTop App!

I would recommend to you before you do anymore work in that direction to install into your AIR App. a Memory Monitor which will be a bit of a eye-opener to you when you run your AIR App. especially with using and loading Images with or without GC.

Regards aktell2007

• 2. Re: Handling Super Large Images in Flex
            UbuntuPenguin Level 4

The only way I know that this is handled is through image tiling. You would chop the image up into various tiles and only display a few at a time.  That way you stay below the max image size limit.  I think there is something out there that already does this but I can't recall the name.