13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2011 4:13 PM by E Baldwin

Premiere CS5.5 % VST plug-ins

E Baldwin Level 1

I have installed Izotope RX2 plug-ins (64x and 32x) nad they are recoginzed and functional in Audition CS5.5  but not by Premiere Pro CS5.5. I could not find an option to scan VST folder so I assume that the dlls are not loaded in the correct lcoation for Premiere to find them. Help appreiated.  OS win7 64x.

Ed B

• 1. Re: Premiere CS5.5 % VST plug-ins
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

The first question is, will PrPro be able to work with Izotope?

In general terms, there are three types of VST's:

1. Those that PrPro can work with
          2. Those that PrPro cannot work with, but can safely load
          3. Those that cause PrPro to hang/crash, and these need to be "blacklisted," which happens on launch attempts, one VST at a time.

I could not find a list of host programs on the Izotope Web Site, but perhaps you have that list. Is PrPro listed?

If PrPro is not listed, but Soundbooth, or Audition are (you mention that AE is compatible), those programs might be needed to apply the VST.

PrPro is pretty vigorous at finding and loading, or attempting to load, VST's. That can be a bit of an issue, with the "type 3 VST's," and why it can take several launches to fully popluate that "blacklist." Still, this one might be installed in a folder that PrPro is just NOT looking in. Where does it install (full Path please)?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere CS5.5 % VST plug-ins
            E Baldwin Level 1

Bill,

I don't have a list of compatable hosts except RX2 Spectural Repair and Premiere is not listed. I have asked Izotope support about Premiere but have not recieved an answer. Since Audition and Soundboot both show the RX2 filters there is no real problem.

The RX2 filters are stored C:\Programs Files\Vstplugins folder and C:\Program Files (x86)\Vstplugins for the 64x and 32x respectively.

Thanks.

-ed

• 3. Re: Premiere CS5.5 % VST plug-ins
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Thanks for that Path info.

It could be that PrPro is not a viable host, but Izotope would be the source of that info. Glad that I was not the only person, who could not find a list of host apps.

I wish that I had a definitive answer for Izotope w/ PrPro, but ask that you post an update, when Izotope gets back to you. In the Audio side of the forums, their support normally gets good comments.Hope they keep that up.

Good luck, and glad that your audio-editing programs DO see the VST.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere CS5.5 % VST plug-ins
                Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Hi Ed,

We were just working with iZotope back in March on this issue.  With their 2.0.1 update, they've made some changes so that they work in Premiere Pro:

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/rx/

Version 2.01 released March 16, 2011

Host compatibility changes

• Added support for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

• Added VST 3 support

• Improved compatibility with Ableton Live

• Added 64-bit VST 2 support in Reaper under OS X

Enjoy,

Zac

• 5. Re: Premiere CS5.5 % VST plug-ins
                  E Baldwin Level 1

Hi Zac,

Thanks for the reply. I am running RX2 v2.01 and Premiere Pro CS5.5 does not 'find' the RX2 VST plug-ins. Do you know where Premiere expects to find the RX2 plug-ins? Audition CS5.5 and Soundbooth CS5 had no problem locating the RX2 VST Plug-ins.

-Ed

• 6. Re: Premiere CS5.5 % VST plug-ins
                    Zac Lam Adobe Employee

If you already have an audio application installed, there should be a VST plug-ins location in the registry stored here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VST\VstPluginsPath

Premiere Pro should use the path specified by that registry key.

It should be set to something like this location:

C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\

• 7. Re: Premiere CS5.5 % VST plug-ins
                      E Baldwin Level 1

I already have RX2 2.01 installed. I checked the Registry and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ and there is no VST entry. The RX2 plugins are located in C:\Programs Files\Vstplugins folder and C:\Program Files (x86)\Vstplugins for the 64x and 32x respectively.

-ed

• 8. Re: Premiere CS5.5 % VST plug-ins
                        Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Do you feel comfortable creating the reg key yourself?  Create a new key named VST, then create a new String Value named VSTPluginsPath, and set that to your 64-bit VST plug-ins path, in your case:  C:\Program Files\Vstplugins

• 9. Re: Premiere CS5.5 % VST plug-ins
                          E Baldwin Level 1

I don't have a problem creating/editiing reg entries but I do not want to make a change that may conflict with a subsequent update/patch to fix the problem. I have submitted a support request to iZotope and waiting for a response. Since Adobe worked with iZotope to support RX2 maybe you folks could inquire about a solution.

-ed

• 10. Re: Premiere CS5.5 % VST plug-ins
                            E Baldwin Level 1

I have received a response from iZotope technical support with the same recommendation of creating a new key named VST and and a string value of C:Program Files\Vstplugins - the path to the 64x plug-ins. After editing the registry as recommended I still did not see the iZotope VST plug-ins in Premiere Pro CS5.5.

-ed

• 11. Re: Premiere CS5.5 % VST plug-ins
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Dang. I thought that Zak and iZotope were on to something there. At least you heard from iZotope, so they might have other ideas to share with you.

Please keep us posted, and good luck!

Hunt

• 12. Re: Premiere CS5.5 % VST plug-ins
                                Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Hi Ed,

Actually that's different from my recommendation above:

Create a new key (in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\) named VST, then create a new String Value named VSTPluginsPath, and set that to your 64-bit VST plug-ins path, in your case:  C:\Program Files\Vstplugins

As you know when it comes to registry keys and code and such, one slight difference is all it takes to make or break a feature.  Please try it out, be careful with the spelling, and hopefully that will work for you.

Zac

• 13. Re: Premiere CS5.5 % VST plug-ins
                                  E Baldwin Level 1

Hi Zac,

Actually both yours' and Izotope's were exactly the same. The problem was me. I read  the VstPluginsPath in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VST\VstPluginsPath as a placeholder to be replaced with the path to the 64x VST RX2 plug-ins ie C:\Program Files\Vstplugins.

Many thanks.

-ed

PS:  It would be nice if the search path for VST devices was user accessable as in Audition...