6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2011 8:14 AM by Peter Spier

Master Pages and Body Pages

harishkumar09 Level 1

Guys, I have inserted text frmaes in Master Pages. But when I go to the Body Pages, I am not able to enter any content. I have to once again insert text frames in the Body Pages and then enter the content.

I expected that if we insert text frames in the Master Pages, it would be available in all the Body Pages, and I dont have to manually insert them in all the (100 or so) Body Pages. Am I wrong?

• 1. Re: Master Pages and Body Pages
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have to unlock the text frame by holding down CTRL/CMD Shift and clicking the frame on the body page.

Once you've done this - insert your text. You will get a red overflow box - from here click that and insert a new page

and Shift Click on a new body page to populate the frames with text.

• 2. Re: Master Pages and Body Pages
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Eugene Tyson wrote:

You have to unlock the text frame by holding down CTRL/CMD Shift and clicking the frame on the body page.

Once you've done this - insert your text.

There's no reason to overrride a master frame unless you plan to type into it. If you have text to import use the Place command and position the loaded cursor inside the empty frame area (you'll see the cursor change to be surrounded by parentheses) and click. This will flow the text into the frame and override it in one operation. Holding Shift will auto-flow all the text into threaded frames, adding pages as necessary. Holding Alt/Opt will flow the text into just the first frame, but leave the cursor loaded and active so you can pick another frame to flow the balance of the text -- useful for layouts that have different structures on differnt pages.

You sound like a former Quark user, and one of the major differences you will notice is that ID's master frames are not as easily accessible, but you also don't actually need a frame in most cases. ID will create a frame on the fly when you place either text or images and click or click and drag on the page with the loaded cursor. Master text frames are often actually a detriment to efficient layout in ID and most experienced users add them only when requiring specialized text flow patterns (parallel text threads, for example, or a magazine layout with several different page grids) or when it would be useful to have several differently styled frames on every page that you would override, type into, and adjust for size and position.

When flowing text from the loaded cursor, ID will always use the margin and column guides to create the frame on the fly if there is no existing frame or if you don't drag a frame as you place. If you click and relaes the loaded cursor, the frame will start at the point where you click and run to the bottom margin (filling the width of whatever guides are in place), and if you use autoflow, subsequnt frames will run from the top margin to the bottom margin.

• 3. Re: Master Pages and Body Pages
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It was unclear in what way they wanted to insert text.

I thought from reading their request was that they wanted to type into the frame.

But you're right, if you're placing text then there is no need to override the frame.

• 4. Re: Master Pages and Body Pages

I had the same impression, and the answer really is that master frames are not suited, in general, to use for typing text.

@ the OP: my number one rule about master page objects of any sort is that if you find you need to override them manually onto a document page to work with them, 99% of the time you don't want them on the master page at all.

• 5. Re: Master Pages and Body Pages
                  harishkumar09 Level 1

Thanks Eugene Tyson and Peter Spier. So, if I am right, text frames in Master Pages are used to hold text or graphics content which you want to appear in all Body Pages, rather than to automate having a text frame in all the Body Pages.

• 6. Re: Master Pages and Body Pages

harishkumar09 wrote:

So, if I am right, text frames in Master Pages are used to hold text or graphics content which you want to appear in all Body Pages, rather than to automate having a text frame in all the Body Pages.

Generally, speaking, yes. As I mentioned before, there are times when a master frame makes sense -- the magzine example or a book with two languages running in parallel on opposite pages, and I've used them on occasion in art exhibit catalogs where every page will have an image and several text frames, each styled differently, for the artist name, the title of the work, and a caption/description for the image. In the last case putting them on the master page is a very slight timesaver since there are multiple styles involved and I can apply the styles to each frame once, then override and type the text in each frame on the live page, but if I'm importing exisiting text I probably would not use them.