11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2012 6:15 AM by Peter Spier

INDD5.0 aborts when I try to delete index cross-reference

LucieHaskins

I have a partial cross reference (there is nothing in the Referenced field). I tried to update (add text in the Referenced field) and it accepted the information but when I update the Index Palette the Referenced field is still empty (all that shows is See ... and then nothing after that)... I then regenerated the index itself, thinking it might be a phantom entry and not really there... but the partial entry shows up in the index itself.

I then tried to delete the cross-reference, thinking I'd just recreate it. And every time I try to delete it in the Index palette (by dragging it to the trash can), INDD shuts down/crashes/aborts).

I tried going into Story Editor to delete the index entry that way but I can't find it... Since cross references aren't tied to pages in the material, I don't know how I can find that marker to delete it another way.

Does anyone know how to delete it from the Index palette... and if not there, how to actually FIND the cross-reference ... wherever it might exist in the book (it's one big INDD file)... and perhaps I can delete it from the Story Editor.

Thank you.

Lucie

• 1. Re: INDD5.0 aborts when I try to delete index cross-reference
          macinbytes Level 4

If you are referring to index's version of a cross reference, they show up as a hidden character. You can also find them via the @ Markers > Index Marker ( ^I in your search works too). It isn't very visual since it is a thin mark but you can do a find near it and then slap a CMD/CNTL + 7 and edit the cross-reference from there. From the story editor there is an easier marker to grab that is visually similar. You should just be able to highly it and delete it if you don't want to edit it. You could also always highlight the entire text to both sides and set the text over.

Screen shot 2011-06-02 at 10.26.21 AM.png

If you mean the wacky cross-references thing in the hyperlink panel those are indicated differently. In that wacky example the two dots that are slightly offset are the target. If you delete just the dots or the crosshairs in your story editor that should kill the cross-reference and allow you to convert anything that referenced it that will now be indicated with a red flag into text.

Screen shot 2011-06-02 at 10.27.49 AM.png

The latter type of cross-reference I avoid at all costs since it has been pretty crashy for me with indesign.

• 2. Re: INDD5.0 aborts when I try to delete index cross-reference
            LucieHaskins Level 1

Macbytes... thanks for your detailed explanation. The cross-reference is an INDEX cross-reference... so it's the first example you mentioned.

I went through the find (thank you for the explanation to do a find on @ Marker... index marker... very helpful)... I did a complete search... that is, I started at page one and went to the end of my document... I found each index marker one by one... and I had my Index Palette open at the the same time. As the Find feature found each index marker, it jumped to that corresponding entry in the Index Palette, so I got to see the index entries being found in page number order... very nice... but it did NOT pick up ANY index entries that were cross-references... so the index marker I'm trying to lost was not "found"....

no joy....

It appears that InDesign stores the index cross-reference markers differently than it does index markers with page numbers. That is, once an index marker is created for a cross-reference, I don't believe it exists on a "page" that you can go to... For example, for a "regular" index marker with a page associated with it, I can click the bottom leftmost icon (Go to selected marker] to go to the page where the index marker resides.

But if I click on the "Go to selected marker" for a index marker that is a cross reference, it goes to the index marker in the INDEX PALETTE that is being referenced. It does NOT go to the location where the index marker was originally created!

So, if the trash can doesn't work in the Index Palette for this "broken" index marker that is a cross-reference, how in the heck can I delete it?

As an update, I contacted Adobe support, they have no solution at this time but they did get to see the abort in action and asked for the INDD file that was causing the problem. We'll see if this is something that is quickly fixed or something that I just have to watch out for.

But right now it appears that I just have to live with that broken entry and manually delete it from the index every time the index is regenerated.

• 3. Re: INDD5.0 aborts when I try to delete index cross-reference
              macinbytes Level 4

You get a crash when you try to trash it? Are you trying both to delete the reference instance or the upper level of the reference with the disclosure triangle?

Have you tried to export your layout to IDML and then pull the document back in? That could be  potential source of joy.

• 4. Re: INDD5.0 aborts when I try to delete index cross-reference
                LucieHaskins Level 1

Yes I tried to trash the entry at its topmost level AND also at its

lowest level. Always aborts.  I also tried to remove it as an unused

topic and it still remained.

I also tried to export the file to IDML and it aborted. This project is

one huge file (over 77 meg).

It's not broken out into separate chapters as my typical INDD projects

are. I'm a freelance indexer and I can't control how I receive the files

so I work with what my clients send me.

Anyway, I can still work on the file and I need to finish the project

today... so I'll let the client know the problems I've encountered and

that they'll have to manually delete the entry from the generated index

every time they generate it.

Based on Adobe not having an answer when I contacted them this morning

(they are working on the problem... I ftp'd the file and the error

report), I really don't seem to have any other choices right now that I

can see.

Thank you!

• 5. Re: INDD5.0 aborts when I try to delete index cross-reference
                  macinbytes Level 4

That's a whole lotta ouch. What you can do that may bring you some joy but isn't for the feint of hearr is get Either WinZip, 7Zip or something to that effect that allows in archive editing. BetterZip on Mac works if you are on a mac.

• Change the reference that you can delete to something unique and not found elsewhere in the layout. (something like FPODELETE, you'll probably want to do this anyway so your client can spot it).
                  • Export the layout to IDML
                  • Open the IDML in your preferred in archive zip editor.
                  • Find designmap.xml which is on the top level of the archive and open in your plain text editor of choice
                  • Do a find in your text editor of choice
                  • Delete the XML tag that has your ornery topic from <Topic   to  </Topic>

<Topic Self="uecTopicnFPODELETE" SortOrder="" Name="FPODELETE">

<CrossReference Self="u108" ReferencedTopic="uecTopicnnot" CrossReferenceType="CustomCrossReferenceBefore" CustomTypeString="FPODELETE"/>

</Topic>

• Save the text file
                  • Save the zip (IDML) file
                  • Open in InDesign
                  • Hope for joy
                  • 6. Re: INDD5.0 aborts when I try to delete index cross-reference
                    LucieHaskins Level 1

Thanks Macbytes for the idea... it sounds very interesting... the only

problem is that the export process to IDML also aborts ... so I can't

take advantage of this idea.  but I'm going to save it in case I need it

in the future.

I'm just going to bite the bullet, finish up the index, and submit the

file back to my client tomorrow, with my explanation of what's been

happening.

Thanks again...

• 7. Re: INDD5.0 aborts when I try to delete index cross-reference
                      John Hawkinson Level 5
                      Thanks Macbytes for the idea... it sounds very interesting... the only

problem is that the export process to IDML also aborts ... so I can't

take advantage of this idea.  but I'm going to save it in case I need it

in the future.

Are you running 7.0.4? It fixes some bugs that cause IDML export to fail.

Recognize that IDML export failing is bad bad bad. It means something is deeply wrong and internally inconsistent with your file. It may behave in other unpredictable ways and break when you need it most. So panic now.

Probably you can use Move Pages to move most of the data into  a new file. But make sure to try 7.0.4 first.

• 8. Re: INDD5.0 aborts when I try to delete index cross-reference
                        LucieHaskins Level 1

Thanks John...

I finished the index and have sent the file back to my client... so

it'll be up to her to figure out what's going on.

• 9. Re: INDD5.0 aborts when I try to delete index cross-reference
                          LucieHaskins Level 1

Sorry I didn't answer one of the questions earlier... yes, I have 7.0.4.

• 10. Re: INDD5.0 aborts when I try to delete index cross-reference
                            poslfit

FWIW, I'm having the same problem, with INDD 6.0.6.

• 11. Re: INDD5.0 aborts when I try to delete index cross-reference
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Please start a new thread, include your platform, and version numbers for both the OS and ID, and describe in detail exactly what you are doing, step by step, and what happens, including the exact wording off any error messages.