4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2011 11:23 AM by pebblestream

Transparent background, SWF file

jakeflaherty

I am using Flash Catalyst to create a text box that expands and collapses with the press of a button. The SWF file works fine in a browser but I am trying to place it into InDesign and export it to an interactive PDF. I wish for the box to expand in front of the other elements on the page. The SWF file has a white background that does not allow for the other elements on the page to be visable when the box is collapsed.

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks

Jake

• 1. Re: Transparent background, SWF file
          RandomBrad

Just a thought. If you optimize your graphics in FC as .jpgs, there will be no transparency. Keep images as .png files. I'm assuming the original file you brought in to FC was transparent where you wanted?

• 2. Re: Transparent background, SWF file
            jakeflaherty Level 1

Thanks for the idea. The catch is that there are no raster graphics in my file; just text and a rectangle vector shape. I'm trying to make the white background of the stage transparent. This way the user can click on the small rectangle and it will enlarge in front of the other elements on the page.

Any other ideas?

• 3. Re: Transparent background, SWF file
              RandomBrad Level 1

Found this on kirupa.com but it won't work in all browsers.

1. To make your movie transparent, add the following                        parameter tag along with the other parameter tags listed                        in the HTML:

<PARAM                        NAME=wmode VALUE=transparent>

2. Now, find the <embed> tag and add the                                following tags along with the other embed tags:

wmode="transparent"

Other than that, is there a way to bring a FC project in to Flash and publish from there? Flash has a pulish option to have a transparent stage. Not sure

why FC doesn't, or at least I couldn't find one.

• 4. Re: Transparent background, SWF file
                pebblestream

Don't know if you've solved this already, but since FC is so immediate (and therefore primitive) you may consider cheating by using part of your destination file's background as the background to your text box. This way, it will "look" transparent.