4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2011 2:34 PM by ladyathena598085

Hyperlinking to Text Anchors

ladyathena598085

Hello!

I'm wondering if there's some minor but important thing I'm missing because none of my text anchors are showing up when I try to create a new hyperlink and choose the Text Anchors option.  Sometimes I would like to link to Text Anchors in the same document, sometimes other documents.  I've checked several documents and nothing shows up. 

I'm not creating Text Anchors separately from what's created when I bookmark.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you so much!

• 1. Re: Hyperlinking to Text Anchors
          Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Although it sounds like you have created text anchors correctly, you may not be using the text anchor in the correct way. When you contextually select a button, don't go to the "New Hyperlink" or "New Hyperlink Destination" options. Rather go to the "Button Options". From there you want to define the Behavior of the Button, and then you assign and pull down from the list "Go to Anchor" option. With "Go to Anchor" selected you will see below that "Anchor:" and all of the Text Anchors that you have created.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hyperlinking to Text Anchors
            ladyathena598085 Level 1

Thank you for your response!

I'm actually working with just text, which is why I was using the Hyperlinks option.  I looked into buttons a little and it looks like a potential option, though if I can hyperlink to text anchors just by selecting text and creating the hyperlink, that would be optimal.  I'm creating an interactive Table of Contents where the user can click on the title of the article and be taken to the related article.  If I had to create a new button for each entry (thus a new text box from my understanding)...hmm, quite a bit of work.  Currently, I'm just linking to page #s rather than Text Anchors or Paragraphs.

• 3. Re: Hyperlinking to Text Anchors
              Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

I'm creating an interactive Table of Contents where the user can click on the title of the article and be taken to the related article.

Sorry about that suggestion, I assumed you were working with buttons.

Here is what I suggest to accomplish an interactive TOC: Note, this method does not require you to create text hyperlinks, they will be created automatically. If one does not exist, create a paragraph style for the article heading, and apply to each. Then create a TOC: Layout >  Table of Contents. Under Other Styles, add the paragraph style you created for the article heading. At the bottom under Options, select Create PDF Bookmarks. Then you will have a loaded text cursor to place on a page. Once you place the TOC, each entry will populate the Hyperlinks panel. And when you are ready to export to PDF, in the window at the bottom of the general tab, make sure to include Hyperlinks.

• 4. Re: Hyperlinking to Text Anchors
                ladyathena598085 Level 1

I'll give that a try, thank you!  I think I need to look into formatting

ToCs more.  More work now, much less in the future.

Thanks a lot for all of your help!