5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2011 3:01 AM by John Hawkinson

Printing problems with Magicolor 8650DN

David Lee - Mac Support

Dear All,

I am having difficulty printing to a Konica Minolta Magicolor 8650DN using a Mac running Mac OS 10.6.7 and Indesign CS4.

The issue is on at least two of our projects we cannot print the document as spreads on A3. It will print as single pages, it will print as spreads A4!

- I have tried printing using different transparency flatteners.

- I have downgraded the drive to the Mac OS 10.5 version.

- I have tried it on different Macs.

- I have tried it in Adobe Indesign CS5.

- I have tried it on a different Magicolor 8650DN at another location.

- I have connected the printer direct to the USB port on a MacMini server and shared it out using Mac OS X Server printer sharing (with the 8650 driver).

- I have removed all fonts and replaced with Myriad Pro.

- The same documents work on two different Cannon copiers with built in Fiery (all postscript 3)

Other notes:

- Printer has 1GB Ram

- CUPS print jobs show jobs at around 400mb

- Other 400mb+ documents print fine

- Using the PS driver (not PCL on mac)

My feeling is that it must be a driver issue that is tripped by some conditions in the document. I have tried removing images from the documents to work out if it is a bad eps or something but I just cannot figure it out!

Has anyone got any similar issues or know of any troubleshooting techniques that I have not already covered?

Many thanks for any advice anyone can give.

David Lee

------------------------------------------------------------

Freelance Mac Support London

• 1. Re: Printing problems with Magicolor 8650DN
          John Hawkinson Level 5

So, you don't have the problem with small documents, only with large documents?

Have you looked at the PPD file CUPS is using, in /etc/cups/ppd? Is the current one for your printer? Or are there other choices?

The PPD file specifies the kinds of control information that InDesign sends to the printer.

There is probably a lot of debugging you can enable in CUPS, and you should ultimately be able to get the PostScript (or whatever) data that is being sent to the printer for inspection. That's going to be a huge pain at 400mb, but not so bad if you have a small reproducible test case...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Printing problems with Magicolor 8650DN
            David Lee - Mac Support Level 1

Thanks for your quick response John.

I will dig around in cups some more and check out the things you mention. It is not always big documents so I should be able to get a 20mb one to examine.

The Mac OS X Gui Printer Preferences pane displays the correct driver but I will have a look a the http://127.0.0.1:631/ for more info.

Thanks for you help,

David Lee

---------------------------------------------------------------

MAC SUPPORT LONDON

• 3. Re: Printing problems with Magicolor 8650DN
              John Hawkinson Level 5

So huge? You can't reproduce it with a few characters or a single

image on a single page? That bodes ill for getting it fixed...

• 4. Re: Printing problems with Magicolor 8650DN
                David Lee - Mac Support Level 1

No the documents print without a problem.

My initial thought was that it would be a document problem but the documents print fine on other printers.

It is really odd. The same document can be printed as spreads scaled to A4 but not A3. In this example the job is the same size!

I have checked the PPD in the /etc/cups/ppd directory and it is listed in there correctly.

In the past I have been able to turn on postscript error printing where the printer will print out a page or sometimes replace the bad bit on a page with a block of postscript error code but this does not seem to work!

• 5. Re: Printing problems with Magicolor 8650DN
                  John Hawkinson Level 5
                  I have checked the PPD in the /etc/cups/ppd directory and it is listed in there correctly.

But have you actually looked at the contents of the file? You may not have the latest version of the PPD file for your printer. Or the latest version may be problematic. PPD files are human readable (well, sort-of), so check them out.

In the past I have been able to turn on postscript error printing where the printer will print out a page or sometimes replace the bad bit on a page with a block of postscript error code but this does not seem to work!

Well, this only works/happens for a fatal PostScript error. It sounds like that is not what is happening.