4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2011 7:52 AM by Trevorׅ

Can't Find Crash Reporter application

Trevorׅ Adobe Community Professional

As the title sums it up I can't find the Adobe crash reporter application.

I have looked at the http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/508/cpsid_50879.html  page

"To reset the Crash Reporter in Windows, open the Crash Reporter application, and change your preference:

1. Locate your application's folder under the Program Files/Adobe folder, such as Program Files/Adobe/Adobe Dreamweaver CS4/.
      2. Open the Support Files/Contents/Windows folder.

3.     Double-click on the CrashReporterApp.exe file (depending on how your  operating system preferences are set, you may not see the .exe  extension)."

I have Indesign Cs5 on windows, I can't find any Support Files/Contents/Windows folder and  have done a search for the CrashReporterApp.exe with no luck.  I can't find it anywere.

With thanks

Help!

• 1. Re: Can't Find Crash Reporter application
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've been running a search for about 20 minutes, and so far come up with 11 copies of CrashReporterApp.exe, 10 of which are for CS4 and only one on of those is in a path that includes \support files\contents\windows, and that's in Illustrator. The ONLY CS5 copy that has turned up so far is in Adobe OnLocation CS5 folder, and if you don't have OnLocation, that folder won't be there. I don't know if the CS4 version will work for CS5, and quite honestly I've never seen the crash reporter active in Windows.

Search just finished, and that's all there are...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't Find Crash Reporter application

Thanks for the search.  I only have ID.

I have tried the replace preferences as per your recommendation but to no avail and was hopeful when I heard of the crash reporter application, Is there any other way of getting information out of the computer on why it crashes?

I am not keen on uninstalling all my fonts without some form of indication that I have a font problem.

• 3. Re: Can't Find Crash Reporter application
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The Windows crash report sometimes has useful information. You can find that using Event Viewer, which in XP is in the Control Panel under Adminitrative Tools, and I think should be in a similar location for Vist or Win 7 (though you may have to switch to classic view to find it).

You say you've already tried replacing the prefs, but you haven't mentioned what you are doing when crash occurs. If we know that, we might have some more ideas. Also, which version and build (patch number) of ID and of windows are you using?

• 4. Re: Can't Find Crash Reporter application

Thanks I found the event viewer on windows 7

I have to go now so I'll provide the details on Sunday.

P.s. congratulations (if that's the word) on your 24,000th post