Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to move profile to new location

New Here ,
Jun 03, 2011 Jun 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I use Robohelp 9 as a domain user with a roaming profile. Unfortunately the profile size is limited and can't be changed in size (IT limitation).

Is it possible to move the profile (C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Adobe\...) to a deticated other location (outside the roaming profile)?

Many thanks in advance & regards,

help.less

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check with your IT people but my understanding is that the profile will only be seriously inflated if you keep My RoboHelp Projects in the default location AND use it to store your projects, otherwise it shouldn't contain too much.

You can store your projects anywhere on your C drive (or other local partition) so that fixes that.

RoboHelp also keeps copies of the sample projects in My RoboHelp Projects but you can move those too. RoboHelp of course will always look there for them so you will just have to remember you moved them.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for you fast reply!

Adobe takes ~48MB, the (not changable) limit of the profile is 30MB 😞

(Robohelp Skin Gallery is already larger than 30MB...)

My RH projects itself are stored on a network drive already, RH samples are also already moved...

Any other idea?

Thanks again & regards,

help.less

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me you are not working on projects on a network. It is a known cause of project corruption. It's OK to store them there, just not to work on them there.

I haven't looked but I thought the skin gallery was part of Program Files and not in your profile.

Regardless though if IT are going to impose the limit it's for them to see what is causing the size. We may then be able to help with likely results.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying I should not use network drives storing and working on my RH projects? We are working on network drives only to avoid any security risks by storing confidential data on local discs. In my opinion it is a serios issue (bug) if RH can't deal with network drives! :-((

In my (standard) RH instrallation the skin gallery is located in the profile space. What would happen if i remove or move the skin gallery to a different location?

Thanks again, regards & have a nice weekend,

help.less

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

help.less wrote:

...In my opinion it is a serios issue (bug) if RH can't deal with network drives! :-((...

If you poked around on the web a bit, you would likely find the same issue occurs with other applications. I know Adobe Captivate is another application that doesn't deal with network drives well. I might imagine *ANY* movie editing software would as well. I've also seen the same advice WRT Microsoft PowerPoint. And when I was in the corporate support world, Microsoft Access databases were forbidden from network usage by our LAN admin folks because of all the issues they caused. We also saw issues with Microsoft Word that way.

The underlying cause is the network itself. When you try mixing an application that has lots of activity between the application and its data, problems ensue. Particularly with busy busy busy network servers. The servers are like an extremely busy intersection.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you move the gallery RoboHelp will not automatically go to it. Instead you will have to browse to the new location.

I don't know how your gallery got there as I have always found it in Program Files which is not part of your profile.

RoboHelp has always required its projects to be worked on locally. If networks work for you, go ahead but many folks who have not heeded the warning later come back with some form of project corruption. I would have thought backup is more the worry and that can be handled quite simply by zipping the project to the network each day. See Snippets on my site.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp