8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2011 3:30 AM by Eugene Tyson

Why do pdfs sometimes print darker?

Nicelodeon

There are some expected answers to this question but I would love to get a whole lot of input to cover all my bases. Why will some colours print out darker or differently do the work file or PDF? Is it due to the paper type it is printed on? Or that the images have not been converted to CMYK? ....

• 1. Re: Why do pdfs sometimes print darker?
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well what are your colour profiles in the images, what are your colour settings in InDesign, what colour destination are you converting to when making the PDF? What printer are you printing from (same both times) and what paper (same paper both times)?

Lots of reasons, none of which are easily explainable on a friday night at 8.00

• 2. Re: Why do pdfs sometimes print darker?
            Nicelodeon Level 1

Well i try to convert all the images i use to CMYK in photoshop before placing them in inDesign - will this actually make a major difference to the printed out colour?

When i PDF from InDesign my colour settings are - Document CMYK U.S. Web coated v2 (this is in the "DESTINATION" toggel. The fact that the word "web" is in the name makes me wonder if this is correct? I am working in another designer's template and this is what the previous designer must have used. I print to PDF/X1a. If possible guide me on what and where i should double check on.

The paper it is printed on makes the colours automatically darker since it is "newspaper" quality paper. The thing that bothers me is that only some images will come out a touch darker than they should be, because all the istock photos i use come out fine. Anyway I woould love it if someone can give me som guidelines as to what my colour profile need to be in my Indesign file... there are so many options.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Why do pdfs sometimes print darker?

Not really answered the questions I asked... oh well.

"Web" in the PDF dialog stands for WEB PRESS, which is a continous roll fed printers they use for newspapers, as opposed to SHEETFED that a litho printers would use.

I'm a bit lost as to what you're trying to achieve. You'll have to answer the questions I already asked.

• 4. Re: Why do pdfs sometimes print darker?
                Nicelodeon Level 1

The colour setting in indesign – North America General Purpose 2
                The images used in the document are converted to CMYK before being placed.
                Colour Destination – Document CMYK – U.S. Web coated (SWOP) v2
                We send the document to printers – they print major magazine so I guess the problem cant be there, have not confirmed what printer they use yet.
                The paper thickness is 48.8g – Newspaper type matte.

Hope this makes more sense?

• 5. Re: Why do pdfs sometimes print darker?

Change your colour setting in InDesign to US Web Coated SWOP v2

then go to Edit>Convert to Profile and choose the same

Although by your spelling of "Colour" I imagine you are in Europe?

So why use American Profiles, like North American and US Web Coated?

And before you convert your images to CMYK in photoshop what Colour Settings are you using there?

Seems to be like you're converting between CMYK profiles 3 or 4 times.

• 6. Re: Why do pdfs sometimes print darker?
                    Nicelodeon Level 1

Ok I will do those changes! I am actually in South Africa, I am new with this mag so I am just trying to fix up the last profiles that were used by the previous designer.

The images colour setting in photoshop is North America General Purpose. Is it necessary that I convert the images to CMYK before I place them in inDesign? Is it not enough that InDesigns colour setting are corrected as you have instructed me to do?

Sorry this colour stuff confuses me a bit. All I know is that I am supposed to have everything CMYK before it goes to print

• 7. Re: Why do pdfs sometimes print darker?

It's not necessary. I usually place RGB images into InDesign.

Then using PDF export I convert to the Destination Profile from there. Choosing something like Coated Fogra 39 or Gracol 2006 (depending on what the printers want).

You can contact the printers and aske them what colour profiles to use.

• 8. Re: Why do pdfs sometimes print darker?
                        Nicelodeon Level 1

Thanks so much for the help!