14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2011 9:43 AM by ricbuchner

ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.

ricbuchner Level 1

Hi!
      I tried everything on other tread (renaming SING, erasing "indesign saved data" - defaults I dont have it) and nothing worked...

Until yesterday, everything was running fine. Today it got screwed...

My  startup ID CS5 apears all the way to the end, program loads on screen  for a few seconds, I can see the welcome screen (that one to choose if I  want to open a recent file, create a noe one, etc) but this screen is  empty, them the program closes itself, no messages, nothing.

Any help?

Is there an issue with AVG (I just updated to the new version, grrrr..) I tried to disable it, but didnt work.

thanks!

UPDATE:  Some INDD files I can open, by double-clicking it. It loads fine, but  right after I see a popup screen, asking me if I want to save the file  before closing it. If I click yes or no, Indesign closes. there is no  way to edit the file or whatever.

I cant find the crash reporter app.

Im running win 7.

I don't know wich version of ID CS5 I have, since I cant load it to check.

• 1. Re: ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.
          John Hawkinson Level 5

Thanks for opening a new thread. I can't really help you with Windows, but I'm sure someone else will step up.

Seem weird to me that the crash reporter doesn't come up for you...

In http://forums.adobe.com/thread/843667 one person found removing the PMWelcomeScreen plugin helped a similar problem. You could try that...

I would try to figure out why you don't get the crash reporter. I'd suggest  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/508/cpsid_50879.html except someone else recently reported the path didn't work for them under Windows (Can't Find Crash Reporter application).

• 2. Re: ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

John Hawkinson wrote:

I would try to figure out why you don't get the crash reporter. I'd suggest  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/508/cpsid_50879.html except someone else recently reported the path didn't work for them under Windows (Can't Find Crash Reporter application).

As far as I can tell, the crash reporter app is not included in Windows releases of InDesign. Even the path references for Dreamweaver CS4 in the KB article is spurious. I have the master collection installed, and I managed to find it in the OnLocation CS5 folder, but nowhere else in CS5 so far (search is still running).

@ricbutner, go back and re-read Replace Your Preferences Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences carefully and you'll see the paths for InDesign SavedData and InDesign Defaults are leading to different folders. I'ts impossible that you would not have both files if ID ever launched. If you still can't find the InDesign Defaults file, use the keyboard method to replace the prefs.

• 3. Re: ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.
              John Hawkinson Level 5

Huh. I was thinking they might have changed the name, but maybe it just doesn't exist...

• 4. Re: ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.

In the last ten years I can't recall ever seeing the crash reporter on Windows. Does it pop up on Mac, or run in the background, or do you need to activate it? Where do you find the reports?

• 5. Re: ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Under Mac OS X, when you launch InDesign, it runs the Crash Reporter as a background process (/Applications/Adobe InDesign CS5/Adobe InDesign CS5.app/Contents/Frameworks/AdobeCrashReporter.framework/Versions/A/Resources/AdobeCrashD aemon.app). If InDesign crashes, then first the OS pops up a Window inviting you to report the crash to Apple:

osxreport.png

Then about 30 seconds later, the Adobe Crash Reporter pops up:

adobereport.png

The OS logs the crash reports to ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter in the home directory of the user who was running the program that crashed. Adobe's crash reports get annotated with the problem description you fill in and those are also saved (2nd copy) in ~/Library/Logs/Adobe/LogTransport/Archive/Adobe InDesign CS5/7040/ (adjust for version as appropriate).

It seems weird to me that Adobe wouldn't do something similar under Windows, since there seems to be a lot of talk about how they want to see crash reports from users. On the other hand, I understand that Microsoft has a fancy system that lets vendors access Microsoft's crash database for their own software, so maybe it is easier for Adobe to leverage Microsoft's crash infrastructure than to do so for Apple's. On the gripping hand, the ability for the user to provide context in the crash report (and an email address) can be very useful, and it's really helpful for some kinds of users (me!) to be able to see the crash report itself and get a clue of why the crash happened. And I'm outta hands :-).

• 6. Re: ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.

Never seen anything like that on Windows. I've Got ID 7.0.4 open nowand no sign of a crash reporter running in Task Manager, nor have I ever noticed one before.

>It seems weird to me that Adobe wouldn't do something similar under Windows,

Maybe it's because there are so few crashes on Windows (ducking for cover). Seriously, I can probably count on one hand the number of times ID has crashed in the last two years.

• 7. Re: ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.
                      ricbuchner Level 1

Thank you guys for trying to help me.

Peter, I have re-read those 2 posts, tried again deleting Defaults (in the first time, I could not find the indesign defaults, but I did it this time) Deleted both files, no luck. I have also retried the keyboard thing, nothing.

I have deleted that welcome screen plugin, didnt work. Deleted SING thing too... So far, nothing worked.

I tried also adobe cleaner. And its seems is not working correctly too. I have uninstalled ID cs5 throught it, it says there is no CS5 programs in my computer, but I still can access the ID shortcut, make it load, but it crashes 2 sec after program is open, without any notice, popup or report. It just closes.

Maybe the cleaner thing is confused, because I have installed ID in a different hard drive from win 7.

How can I make adobe cleaner actually erase everything related to ID CS5? So far its nothing erased, all the folders and files are right there in D:/program files/adobe... despite adobe cleaser says there is no CS5 programs installed in my computer.

Thanks!

• 8. Re: ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.

I've not had to run the clean tool myself, but you should be uninstalling using the Windows uninstaller first, then run the clean tool to get anything left behind. You can manually delete the files, too, if Windows leaves them behind, but cleaning the registry is trickier, and that's the real value of the clean tool.

In theory there's no reason not to install applications on a separate drive, but I don't see any value to doing so. If you reinstall the OS from scratch you'll wind up having to reinstall the apps, too, to get them properly registered and functioning. I use one drive for OS and prorgams, and a second for Data. I image both on a regular basis for backup, and a failed hard drive costs about an hour to replace.

Was there anything that might be useful in the Event Viewer?

• 9. Re: ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.
                          ricbuchner Level 1

I installed it on a different HD, due lack of space.

Since I have tried everything possible, what should I try next?

where is this event viewer?

Thanks!

• 10. Re: ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

Did you try removing the SING plugin?

• 11. Re: ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.

Event viewer should be under Administrative Tools in Control Panel.

How much lack of space? What do you have free on the C:\ drive? Insufficient free space can cause trouble.

• 12. Re: ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.

John Hawkinson wrote:

Did you try removing the SING plugin?

He said he tried that in the first post, but It seems unlikley to be a Sing problem if it was working one day, but not the next.

Actually,  Windows System Restore might be in order, but after uninstalling and messing around, it probably won't be successful.

• 13. Re: ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.
                                  John Hawkinson Level 5

Yeah, I wasn't sure if he removed the SING folder or the plugin. Most instructions tell you to remove the cache folders but lately some people seem to have had to remove the plugin.

• 14. Re: ID CS5 won't keep open. Started yesterday.
                                    ricbuchner Level 1

Hi!

Thanks everyone for the help!
                                    I just uninstalled ID, used adobe cleaner and reinstalled it. It's working again.

Thank you!!