11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2011 11:22 AM by Mack Ramedia

Black border

Mack Ramedia Level 1

In PrE 8, I'm taking a 640 x 480 avi and resaving it as a wmv. After I render it, the window is smaller and has a big black border around it. Why is this so?

• 1. Re: Black border
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the full specs. of your Project Preset?

Did you Import the 640 x 480 material into an NTSC DV Project?

If so, what is the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio) of that 640 x 480 material?

What are the output settings for your WMV Export/Share?

It's very likely that there is a mis-match in the workflow somewhere. Knowing exactly what you are starting with, what your Project's Preset is, and what your full Export settings are, will probably point someone to the spot, where the mis-match is happening.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Black border
            Mack Ramedia Level 1

The video that I'm starting with was done by someone here a couple of years ago, and I'm not sure what he used for project settings. Is there a way I can discover that info?

• 3. Re: Black border
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Open your video in this program. If you can post of screen capture of the report screen, we can identify the necessary specs.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 4. Re: Black border
                Mack Ramedia Level 1

k, I'll start with the original avi I received. Is this what you're looking for?

screen shot.jpg

• 5. Re: Black border
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The 640 x 480 Square Pixel (PAR = 1.0), should fill the Frame of an NTSC DV Standard (4:3) Project w/ PAR = 0.9. Is that the Project Preset that you used, or did you choose NTSC Widescreen (16:9) Project w/ PAR = 1.2?

In the Program Monitor, does the 640 x 480 PAR = 1.0 Clip fill the Frame?

If you did choose the NTSC DV Standard (4:3) w/ PAR = 0.9, what were the WMV settings chosen?

Good luck, and thank you for the G-Spot screen-cap. That tells us a lot.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Black border
                    Mack Ramedia Level 1

I'm not sure where to choose all that, so here are my project settings.

screen shot 2.jpg

• 7. Re: Black border
                      Mack Ramedia Level 1

C'mon folks, I need sum hep. I'm not a smaht mayun.

• 8. Re: Black border
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for the screen-cap on the WMV Export/Share settings. Those look good to me.

The Project's Preset is chosen at New Project. Once one has established the Project's settings, there is a way to look back to see what was chosen. In PrE 4.0, one would go to Edit.Project Settings>General to see those. IIRC, the exact location might have moved in later versions. Others can give you the exact location in PrE7 through PrE9, should it have changed.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Black border
                          Mack Ramedia Level 1

K, I think I see the problem. When I opened the new project is when my settings got out of whack. I'll try starting from scratch. I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks.

• 10. Re: Black border
                            Mack Ramedia Level 1

That was it. I kept going to Edit/Project Settings and it would not let me change them. I see now that you have to choose settings when you open the new project. I didn't really find the settings intuitive, however. I just took a lucky guess and chose DV NTSC. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like you should be able to change the project setings anytime, not just at set up. Maybe something for v 10?

Thanks!

• 11. Re: Black border
                              Mack Ramedia Level 1

Well guess what. I still ended up with a border. It's a small one; more like an outline, so I can live with it, but after all that it woulda been nice not to have one at all. Oh well.