4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2017 3:17 AM by try67

PDF version different than what shows in Metadata

avheatherim

USUALLY, when I open the metadata of a pdf, the version shows in the first few characters (1.2, 1.3, 1.4, etc)

%PDF-1.2%âãÏÓ

I've come across a couple pdfs that SAY 1.4 in the metadata, but when opened with adobe reader they say pdf version 1.5! Which is correct? Is there a more efficient way to look for the pdf version?

Here is an example:

The metadata says version 1.4-

%PDF-1.4%âãÏÓ14 0 obj<</Linearized 1/L 140724/O 16/E 131916/N 1/T 140412/H [ 452 172]>>endobj            

But when I open in adobe, the version says 1.5- (Seen in Document Properties)

screencap.png

Can someone help?

• 1. Re: PDF version different than what shows in Metadata
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The file can be tagged one thing and the pdf can conform to a different standard. Open the pdf file in a text editor (not a word processor), the first line should be a good indicator of what standard the file conforms to.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PDF version different than what shows in Metadata
            avheatherim Level 1

How can I find the pdf version that adobe "thinks" it is? Is there another way to programatically check the version (besides the beginning of the metadata, because that's proving inaccurate)?

• 3. Re: PDF version different than what shows in Metadata
              jenss92283927

Dear all,

Is there anyone who can help? I have the same behavior with one of my documents.

When I open the document with Notepad++ the first line starts with: %PDF-1.4 and the second line with: %âãÏÓ. However when I open the document with Adobe Acrobat Reader the properties show PDF-Version 1.5 (Acrobat 6.x).

In the document “Adobe® Portable Document Format - Version 1.7 - November 2006 -Adobe Systems Incorporated” I found the following hint:

In PDF 1.4, it is possible for a Version entry in the document’s catalog dictionary (see Section 3.6.1, “Document Catalog”) to override the version specified in the header, which enables the version to be altered using an incremental update.

I found the catalog dictionary within the document by using Notepad++, but there was no version mentioned. Then I tried a search within Notepad++ for “1.5”, but I could not find anything.

Has anyone any idea where the version 1.5 could come from?

Thank you in advance.

• 4. Re: PDF version different than what shows in Metadata
                try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

PDF files are not something you can just open in a plain-text editor and read like a text file... They are very complex, include encoded streams as well as revisions and updates within the file. If Acrobat is telling you it's PDF 1.5 then you should trust that.