4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2011 8:28 AM by Philippe Dohet

Embed a video into InDesign CS 5

The Primate Level 1

I give up. I viewed the Lynda lessons ("that's all you have to do!"), and can't get my video to place without errors in my document. I tried placing it in mpg, mpg2, avi, and flv format. I have the design premium package, but don't know how to use flash. Can someone speak really slowly to me on my level and tell me the steps to place the video? If these formats are not compatible, can someone tell me how to get it correct using the Adobe software.

What I want to do is have the movie play for someone else reading my newsletter with Adobe Reader. Thanks!

Lou

• 1. Re: Embed a video into InDesign CS 5
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Welcome, Lou.

Let's start by getting some more info, please. What's your OS (probably not a factor, but might be), and are you patched to 7.0.4?

How are you making the PDF? What settings are you using, and what happens when you try to play the video?

• 2. Re: Embed a video into InDesign CS 5
            The Primate Level 1

Peter! Thanks so much for responding to  my plight.

What's your OS (probably not a factor, but might be), and are you patched

to 7.0.4?

I  am using Windows 7 in 64 bit mode. What is 7.0.4?

>How are you  making the PDF?

I select export then save as Adobe pdf  (Interactive)

>What settings are you using,

I didn't change any settings. Am I supposed to? I  am using place... from

the file menu then selecting my video. I might get  "import failed" (in the

flv format) or "media files not supported by  flash". Why do I need support

from Flash since I am using Adobe Reader and  InDesign?

When I press continue, it places a cross hatched  box with a film strip

icon in it. I tried to run it in the Preview panel, but  nothing shows there. I

exported it anyway and the pdf file comes up in adobe  reader with a

filmstrip icon again.

>and what happens when you try to play  the video?

I get a yellow band across the top of  the screen that says, "some features

have been disabled to avoid potential  security risks." No matter how many

times, I select "trust this document  always", it keeps coming up. When I

click on the movie icon, with one format I  get just the sound. In another, I

get "Acrobat has encountered an error while playing this  media clip."

Lou

In a message dated 6/3/2011 11:25:41  A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,

forums@adobe.com writes:

Welcome, Lou.

Let's start by getting some  more info, please. What's your OS (probably

not a factor, but might be), and  are you patched to 7.0.4?

How are you making the PDF? What  settings are you using, and what happens

when you try to play the  video?

• 3. Re: Embed a video into InDesign CS 5
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Hi Lou,

Please turn off the autoqoute when responding by email. You can continue to quote pertinent content for clarity.

7.0.4 is the current update for InDesign CS5. If you haven't installed it, that's the first thing to do.

Sadly, I'm a print guy and don't messa round much with interactive content, but it sounds like the problem is in the import stage, not the export. Check the Help files to confirm that the format you want to use is supported. You may also need to update your Flash Player.

• 4. Re: Embed a video into InDesign CS 5
                Philippe Dohet

Hi,

Sorry my answerd was not appropriate to your problem!

I don't know how to delete it

Philippe