6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2011 10:08 AM by the_wine_snob

Help, Again, new problem?

Nohjekim Level 1

Hi Guys

I decided to start a new thread since this is another thing all together and the other one was getting pretty long.

Same project new question.

I hope this won't be as big a hassle.

Ok: I finished creating all of my film clips from Poser, 7 for Lucy and 5 for the Ghost and moved everything into PE8 to see if it was all working.

Everything looked fine until I imported the Ghost video that goes on track 2 that has a black background.

A couple of days ago I created a test video of the ghost on a black background.

When I imported it into PE8 and put it into track 2 the ghost appeared just as I hoped superimposed over track 1 appearing in the scene with no background.

I could adjust the transparency and everything worked great.

Now I imported the final ghost video, actually the same file only more of it, and when I place it on track 2 the black background does show and blocks track 1.

What am I doing wrong, it worked the first time and I don't think I did anything different.

To check I went back and imported the original test file and it appears with a transparent background when placed in the same line wiht the new ones.

How to I get the new video to have a transparent background like the first ones I did.

Thanks for all the help.

Sorry to be such a newb.

Mike

• 1. Re: Help, Again, new problem?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

The most likely explanation for what you see is that earlier, you Exported the "ghost" with an Alpha Channel, and that was used to "mask" out the black background, when that Clip was placed above the Lucy scenes. Check that your Poser output has an Alpha Channel, to be used as a mask.

Also, Rt-click on the ghost Clip to see if the Alpha Channel is being used. Think that is done via a checkbox in PrE, but test me on that, please.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Help, Again, new problem?
            Nohjekim Level 1

Hi Bill

I think I may have found the answer.

And it may relate to what you said in a way.

I looked at both files the one that worked and the one that didn't in GSpot.

The one that worked was created using no compression.

The one that didn't work was created using Microsoft Video 1 compression.

I'm in the process of creating a new non compressid clip right now.

Back in a few minutes.

Mike

• 3. Re: Help, Again, new problem?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

I am not up on that MS CODEC, so cannot tell you whether it allows for an Alpha Channel, or not. Many formats/CODEC's do, but others do not. As that MS CODEC would not install on my laptop, I cannot even test it for you.

With Exports that contain Alpha Channels, one is often given the option to Export to Millions of Colors, and then Millions + of Colors. The difference is that the Millions + will have the Alpha Channel. That is what the + is. As there is more info in the file w/ Alpha Channel, and all other things being equal, the one with the Alpha Channel will be a larger file.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Help, Again, new problem?
                Nohjekim Level 1

That appears to be the problem.

I made a short test video and the background is transparent.

I just got done outputing the whole ghost sequence now I'll have to start over. Sigh!

This time I will do each segment and check it before I do the next one.

Thanks again.

Mike

If I don't run into any more problems I'll post a link to the video here in a day or two.

• 5. Re: Help, Again, new problem?
                  Nohjekim Level 1

Hi again.

I got everything made and into PE8.

The ghost is working fine, no background showing.

I had to do the Ghost in 10 segments (2,500 frames total, 250 each) because of the file size when no compression is used.

If the files get too big the process just kind of grinds to a halt and sits there forever.

With the Lucy part of the animation using compression, I could do it in larger segments (3,500 frames total of 875 frames each).

The Ghost frames take about 19 gigabytes of disk space all by them selves.

Your info on the alpha channels helped my with the title frames too.

I had tried to import the files with clipping paths which didn't work.

I went back and created alpha channels for them in Photoshop and they worked great.

Now the tedious part is done and the fun starts, finding sound effects, music, special effects and putting it all together.

This is graduation weekend so I won't be able to get back at it until Monday but  as soon as I get it done I'll post a link.

Thanks again.

Mike

• 6. Re: Help, Again, new problem?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Mike,

That is fantastic news!

Sorry that you had to segment things, but you found a workflow that does what you need.

An Alpha Channel can be used as a Clipping Path, but only in programs, that support that specific use, like Photoshop, InDesign and AI, etc. For Video, you want it to be the more generic Alpha Channel. The good news, is that as an Alpha Channel, it does what you want and need.

When you get back to things, please let us know how the Project progresses. You have worked through a lot, and have jumped through flaming hoops to get there. You are to be commended for sticking with it, and doing all the requested tests. I think that RoboDog2 and I learned a bunch in the process, and we did not have to work up the sweat, that you did...

Good luck, and enjoy the weekend. It's also "graduation time" around here, but it for all of my wife's graduating Drs. I refer to this time of the years as, "the rubber chicken circuit," as that is what is usually served at the dinners for each group of Drs. This year, with our travels, we have both been able to graciously avoid many such events.

Hunt

PS - in another forum, I got nailed for mentioning the Millions + Colors for Alpha Channel. In PrPro CS4, that term changed to "32-bit Color," meaning the same thing, but with a different term. I missed that the OP was using CS4, and just basically copied what I had instructed you to do, and posted. Another poster took me to task for using the wrong, official term. Such is life.