20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2011 8:58 AM by windamereinfo

How do I open Premire Elements 8?

windamereinfo

After I get the welcome screen I click on open project I click on the video footage I have in the computer it opens then goes to the task bar and when I click on the icon it will not open at all. I am using Windows 7. Can somone help me?

Thanks,

Ed

• 1. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

After I get the welcome screen I click on open project I click on the video footage I have in the computer it opens then goes to the task bar and when I click on the icon it will not open at all.

I am confused when you say that after you "click on Open Project," and then "click on the video footage."

When one chooses Open Project, they should get a dialog box, allowing them to choose the Project file (PREL). Is that what you are doing? If so, does that Project Open completely? If not, then what are you choosing in that dialog box?

One needs to have a Project Open, prior to Importing any Video files into that Project.

Maybe it's just my confusion here, and if so, I apologize.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
            windamereinfo Level 1

I guess that I didn't make myself clear. When I click on Open Project it

gives me the options to open my existing video footage that I already have

imported into PE8. Yes, it gives me the chose to open my PREL then it starts

to open but it then flashes and goes to my task bar then it will not open at

all.  It just sits on the task bar. Very frustrating...

Ed

• 3. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Thank you for the clarification.

When did PrE 8 last work fine for you?

Have you updated your OS in that time?

Two things that can cause what you describe are an obsolete audio, or video driver. If that is the case here, then the fix is easy. Just go to the audio card's mfgr's. Web site, download and install the latest driver. Do the same for your video card too. That would probably be either nVidia, or ATI/AMD, where you'd go to driver downloads (or similar syntax on the Web site), plug in your OS, and your card's model number, then download and install their latest driver.

Hope that it is just that simple.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
                windamereinfo Level 1

Unfortunately this is a brand new computer less than 2 months old. It was

working just fine less than 1 month ago. I was doing video editing and

everything worked perfectly. Than I was deployed to MS and AL for the

floods, I just got back and today I opened up PE 8 and this happened. I am

wondering if I should delete PE 8 and re install?

Thanks again...

• 5. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

With that time span, it is likely that your OS has updated, and had hot-fixes applied. This feature is set to do so automatically in the OS, and unless you changed that, you probably got a load of updates. These have been known to render a video (and audio) driver obsolete instantly.

Also, with a new computer, it was likely that your audio and video drivers were up to 6 mos. out of date, when they were installed. Mfgrs. use a master disc to install the OS and all drivers. They probably do not update those but twice per year, if at all.

Along with updating the audio and video drivers, take a look over this ARTICLE.

Last, but just as important - thank you for the work that you did in MS and AL. I'm from MS, though down on the Coast, so I know about destruction from natural forces. Thank you!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
                    windamereinfo Level 1

Hi Bill,

I tried all you suggested but to no avail... it still won't open!!! What

get me more than anything is I called Adobe and they told me it would cost

me to have them try and fix this problem. This PE 8 is less than 3 months

old I am told it is out of date. What I do not understand is why they will

not try to help me without a charge. Sorry to go off on you but I am very

sorry that they don't want to help.

• 7. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As for being "out of date," PrE 9 was released about Sept/Oct of 2010, and is still the current release. PrE is on about a 12 mo. cycle.

Sorry that the artilce and the other links were not of help. I had guessed that it would be a video and/or audio driver. BTW - how far out of date were those?

Wish that I had more, but as a test, you can do the following:

1. Create a System Restore Point for now
                      2. Exit Windows, and reboot in Safe Mode
                      3. Choose System Restore, and select a date, from when things were working
                      4. When done, you will need to reboot, as part of that operation, and then try loading PrE

Good luck, and let us know if that helps. If so, it will narrow things down to a change during a particular time frame.

Hunt

• 8. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

My recommendation is to first clean your computer with Advanced System Care. (Free from http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.html ) Run a deep scan.

Brand new computers are full of junk and tmp files as well as very messy registry. This single-click program cleans things up.

Then manually go to Windows Update and ensure you have even the non-critical updates for your computer. (This will ensure your hardware drivers are updated.) You have have to go several times to get them all, if you've got a brand new computer.

Then try re-applying the license, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/542377?tstart=0

• 9. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
                          windamereinfo Level 1

Good Morning

I followed your instructions but it still did not open. Do you have any

more suggestions? Do you think that if I uninstall then reinstall PE 8 would

that help?

Thank you

Ed

• 10. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

Before you resort to the Uninstall/Reinstall, can you tell us a bit about where your Assets are drawn from?

Why I ask this, is that if there is a corrupt Asset, it can cause a Project to not Open. I always lay out my Projects the same way, so it's easy for me to manipulate, check or replace Assets. I do a root Project Folder, and then below that will create sub-folder for all Assets, with names like, Videos, Stills, Audio, SFX, etc.. I then Copy my Assets into those sub-folders, and Import from there. If I suspect a bad Video Clip, for instance, I can go to the Videos sub-folder and test each of those. Same for Audio, SFX, etc.

If one has just Imported from dozens of locations, it is first hard to remember which Assets were Imported into a Project, and then a lot of work to find those files.

If you DO have a corrupted Asset, and can locate that easily, replacing it with another Copy of the original is easy.

If we can rule out a bad Asset, that could well save you a lot of effort. If there is a bad Asset, or a really bad link to an Asset, Uninstalling/Reinstalling will have no effect, as the issue will be at the Project level. Now, if the issue is with some file used by PrE, then the Uninstall/Reinstall will very likely fix that.

Let us know if it would be easy to check your Assets in that Project, or a big, honking deal. Depending on where you stored your Assets, and Imported from, I have a little exercise that might be helpful. If they are scattered around many folders, and Imported from those, then it becomes a real test of memory (yours) and stamina.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
                              windamereinfo Level 1

Bill,

I have only one video clip that I imported from a video camera. Before I

left to go to MS it was working fine. You wanted to know the dates on my

video (4-19-11) and the audio (8-16-10) both sites said I was up to date. If

I go to Organize it shows some of my clips but not all, Maybe 3 minutes out

of 10 minutes. Do you think if I reimport my video it may help?

Ed

• 12. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

OK, so you have one longer AV file, that is used in the Project. Is that correct?

You say that you Imported it from your camera. Can you tell us the exact steps used, the camer make and model, and then the specs. of that file?

You mention that "some Clips play in Organizer, but others do not." Did you use Scene Detect, or similar, to break you one AV file into smaller segments?

In Windows Explorer/My Computer, if you navigate to that AV file (the "master"), can you Dbl-click and play that in the default player for that file type, say Windows Media Player? Does it play fine there?

Let's make sure that the master AV file is not corrupt.

For those drivers, who are the respective mfgrs.? Usually, nVidia, or ATI will release about every month. With Realtek it can be about as frequent, so the 2010 Audio driver would be highly suspect. With the video driver, I would expect to see something from May, and not April, but that 1/mo. is just an estimate, based on the normal histories of both nVidia and ATI. That 4-19-11 date might be slightly suspect, but there could well not be anything newer yet.

Good luck, and let us know about that master AV file, please.

Hunt

• 14. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
                                  windamereinfo Level 1

I found the AV file, I went to start/search/typed AV and 7 AV files popped up. 4 said can't open with WMA but 3 opened and played OK. I guess that that file isn't corrupt. Should I delete the AV files that won't open?

• 15. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Before you delete the file, I would move it to a separate folder, so that it does not get mixed in. Repeat - DO NOT DELETE any files just yet.

If you have an AVI file, that is corrupt, I can recommend a little program, that has saved many AV files for me, Digital Video Repair.

I also wonder about your AVI files, as the Asset used in the PrE was a MOV reference file, and not an AVI.

When I typed "AV file," I was referring to an Audio Visual (AV) file.

Not sure now, what was used in that Project. Everything in the Project, indicates that it was a MOV file, and also a reference file.

Where, exactly, did that file come from. Did you Capture from a DV tape camera, Import from a non-tape camera, or did it come from somewhere else?

Did you run any conversion on the file, prior to Importing it into PrE?

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more. In the meantime, DO NOT DELETE any files, as I do not think that you used any AVI in your Project, and you do not want to go about Deleting any files, until you know what they are, and how they are used.

Hunt

• 16. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Ignore the mention of "MOV Reference Files." That was from another thread.Still, do not Delete any files yet. Even one that does not play, might be recovered, by that utility that I missed. Sorry for my confusion, but I had a major interruption, and just "crossed threads." My bad.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
                                        nealeh Level 5

You should work through the recommendations in PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

How much free space do your disks have?

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 20. Re: How do I open Premire Elements 8?
                                          windamereinfo Level 1

My disk has 1.7 T free, I also have done the forum,,,