4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2011 12:01 PM by Jim_Simon

Radeon 5870 vs. GTX 460 CUDA?

Greetings all,

I am currently using Premiere (and After Effects) CS5 and about to upgrade to CS5.5.  My machine is pretty decent right now (Intel i7 920, 12GB RAM, Win7 x64, ATI Radeon 5870) but I've been bothered by the fact that I see a lot of discussions stating that, since ATI can't use hardware MPE/CUDA, rendering times with older NVIDIA cards are much faster than ATI cards (even pretty modern/powerful ones like mine).

So, I was curious if anyone has expdrienced this firsthand or, more specifically, taken OUT a newer ATI card and replaced it with an older NVIDIA card and seen noticably better performance?

I was thinking about getting an NVIDIA 460 and hacking the approved hardware list to hardware MPE enable it since those cards are so cheap now but, obviously, I would only do that if I can really turn up better rendering performance in CS5.5?

I'm doing 100% 5d Mark ii work with a lot of visual effects (and for the most part just importing the clips straight off the camera without converting first via NeoScene--although I might go back to that--still haven't decided [well I own it but haven't installed it back on my recently rebuilt machine])

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/input/eperiences/advice you might have for me!

• 1. Re: Radeon 5870 vs. GTX 460 CUDA?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The hardware MPE will always be significantly faster than the software MPE. When you use an ATI card then you are using the software engine. That is basically all CPU threading for the entire process. Any Nvidia card added to the supported list will take allot of the processing off the CPU such as effects and scaling. That leaves the CPU to handle the encoding ie why you should have an Nvidia card. Any of the 400 or 500 series cards with 1GB of video ram will work with the MPE if you add them to the supported list. The 560 and 570 cards are the ideal ones to get if you can afford them. So yes you need an Nvidia card.

• 2. Re: Radeon 5870 vs. GTX 460 CUDA?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

I completely agree with Eric on this. The fastest HD 5870 graphics card takes 88 seconds on the PPBM5 Benchmark

The best score on the same MPE test in that benchmark, with a GTX 480, takes 3 seconds, almost 30 times faster. On the MPEG2-DVD test the HD 5870 scores 191 seconds where a comparable system with the GTX 480 scores 25 seconds (due to the hardware assisted scaling).

You will see huge benefits from changing from ATI to nVidia in video editing with PP. Maybe not in games, but we are interested in editing performance here.

• 3. Re: Radeon 5870 vs. GTX 460 CUDA?
              jgbcross Level 1

Oh wow.  Thanks for the info.

I've decided that I'm just going to sell my 5870 on the cheap and buy a 560 ti. A bit more than the 460 but apparently well worth it!

Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Radeon 5870 vs. GTX 460 CUDA?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Given the marginally higher core count, you're not likely to see much difference between the newer 560 over the older 460 for that extra $100.