• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

7 minutes to open project

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2011 Jun 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I've gotten my project to work now in RH8, it continually takes 7 minutes to open now. Is this a worry? should I do something else? It's only got 300 topics.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 03, 2011 Jun 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a long time for a project that size. If you have not done so already, try rebuilding your cpd file.

Also, check and see if other projects take a long time to open. It would be useful to know whether the problem is specific to that one project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2011 Jun 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also working with RH8. When I have a very slow project, the first thing I try is the following. It almost always speeds things up.

Open the .cpd file in Microsoft Office Access. The .cpd is an access database, so you can condense it.

1. Right-click on the cpd and open it with Access.
  2. Click the Window Office button.
  3. Manage > Compact and Repair Database.
  4. Close the cpd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2011 Jun 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Microsoft Access removes unused data but it does not correct erroneous data. Deleting the CPD does both.

In older versions of RoboHelp the Microsoft Access route avoided the loss of some data so it had an advantage for those who have Microsoft Access installed.

RoboHelp 7 changed things and now it is quicker and arguably better to just trash the old CPD. Rename it if you have doubts.

Both RoboHelp 8 and 9 have an option to delete the CPD before opening any project and I haven't seen anyone report problems using that or manually deleting the CPD.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2011 Jun 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
Thank you for this help. I tried it this morning but had a problem.
I did not see the Window Office button in your #2 and also did not see #3.
What I had was under my Help menu, there was Detect and Repair.
I started Detect and Repair and it went through an update process for Access 2003.
Can you advise? I attach two pics.
Access2.pngACCessDB.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CPD is gone! I followed dsarig's advise and opened the cpd file in Access. I chose Detect and Repair from the Help menu.

When I closed the access file and went back to my c: drive, the access file was there but no cpd. So I opened the RH8 project, generated again, and went back to see if the cpd appeared again, but it didn't!

Advice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see the cpd file now. But it's still taking 7 minutes to open up the project. I have no other projects going that are near the same size and so I can't say that other projects are or are not opening slow as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2011 Jun 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you work in an environment where active virus scanning is occurring, you might try excluding the project folder from active scanning and see if your opening time improves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp