2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2011 9:20 AM by the_wine_snob

Pre Eements 9 not rendering to save

PastorCB

I have used Premiere Elements 9 for several months putting together videos (from 10 minutes to over and hour) on .dv using the NTSC-DV-Widescreen 48khz and I usually save it using MPEG NTSC DVD Widescreen.  The timer on the rendering will go to the end (0.05), but the percentage will stop as early as 8% to 98%.  It will not finish the rendering and freezes the program.  I have tried to save the files using avi, flv etc. and it does the same thing on all the .dv files.

I have installed the update, followed the "Lean, Mean" editing steps, and re-installed the software (it worked once after that).  I have an AMD QuadCore 2.60 GHZ processor with 8 GB of Ram and using the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OS.  I have also been using the K-Lite codec pack, and have reinstalled that along with updates.  No major changes or software adds have been made to cause the issue.  Would love some helpful tips to get past this so I can render the weekly videos for posting.

Thanks - Chris

• 1. Re: Pre Eements 9 not rendering to save
          nealeh Level 5

PastorCB wrote:

I have used Premiere Elements 9 for several months putting together videos (from 10 minutes to over and hour) on .dv using the NTSC-DV-Widescreen 48khz and I usually save it using MPEG NTSC DVD Widescreen.

• Are you saying it used to work for several months and only now has the problem arisen?
          • If so, have you added any new software or allowed updates to your operating system?
          • Can you use the Windows System Restore feature to restore back to a time when it worked?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Pre Eements 9 not rendering to save
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for letting us know what you have tried already. That really helps.

With Export/Share (the term "rendering" is used by many, but in PrE, it has a different meaning), one thing that can trip folk up will be a lack of defragmented free space on the HDD's (Hard Disk Drives). PrE creates some large working files, and especially with Export/Share. Along with those working files, one also has the destination files, plus the Windows Virtual Memory (Page File), if on a PC.

The general rec. is for 30 - 40GB of defragmented free space, but I usually bump that up. Depending on exactly how PrE's Project is configured, and how the HDD's are allocated, one might be runnning out of space on, say the C:\, due to the Page File, even though they have adequate free space on their Project's HDD. Also, as one works on many Projects, HDD space can be filled up with the Media Cache files, and other similar working files, though that Project is done.

Please examine your HDD's, and let us know their details, especially their size, speed, defragmented freee space, and how each is being used by both the OS and by the Projects' settings.

One other comment: K-Lite usually installs FFDShow, along with the CODEC's and utilities. Did you let it install FFDShow? This has been known to mess up several Adobe programs, from PrE to PrPro and Encore. I would uninstall FFDShow, if it's installed, and then run a Registry cleaner, like CCleaner. When prompted to backup the Registry, do so. Though it is a very safe program, when one is working with the Registry, it is always a good idea to back that up - just in case. I also do a System Restore Point, before doing any Registry editng, or cleaning - just in case.

Now, all of the above is specific to the computer. If nothing above helps, then we probably should look closely at the Projects and the Assets, as they would be # 2 & # 3 in the troubleshooting steps. System is always my # 1, but when we can rule that out, we can move on.

Good luck, and please report,

Hunt