3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2011 5:12 AM by BobLevine

ENDNOTES and InDesign CS5

Obenreizer Level 1

What is the best way to work with Endnotes in InDesign?  Either I'm missing something--or InDesign is missing something.

I want to write manuscripts directly into InDesign, but there doesn't seem to be an efficient way to handle Endnotes.  (Please, please, tell me I am wrong).  For you Adobe die-hards, resist your gag-reflex when I say I have to compose in MS Word (which handles endnotes with ease), then dump the resulting file into InDesign.

Yeah, InDesign does Footnotes, but they are distracting and largely reserved to formal technical papers. 

Could someone clarify the Endnotes situation in InDesign?

If Endnotes are doable, could you tell me how, or direct me to resources. 

Save for the endnotes issue, I would ditch MS Word in half a heart-beat.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: ENDNOTES and InDesign CS5
          peter minneapolis Level 4

Obenreizer wrote:

What is the best way to work with Endnotes in InDesign?  Either I'm missing something--or InDesign is missing something.

I want to write manuscripts directly into InDesign, but there doesn't seem to be an efficient way to handle Endnotes.  (Please, please, tell me I am wrong).  For you Adobe die-hards, resist your gag-reflex when I say I have to compose in MS Word (which handles endnotes with ease), then dump the resulting file into InDesign.

Yeah, InDesign does Footnotes, but they are distracting and largely reserved to formal technical papers. 

Could someone clarify the Endnotes situation in InDesign?

If Endnotes are doable, could you tell me how, or direct me to resources. 

Save for the endnotes issue, I would ditch MS Word in half a heart-beat.

Thanks in advance.

You're not the first one to feel this pain. Add your request to the crowd at wish.

If you haven't tried it yet, search Google for terms like "InDesign endnotes," without quotes, and you'll find the accreted experience of the community waiting for you.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 2. Re: ENDNOTES and InDesign CS5
            Obenreizer Level 1

Peter,

As you recommended, I formalized a request to Adobe.

(Still hard to believe Adobe is getting beat by Microsoft in this area.  Unbelievable.)

Cheers.

• 3. Re: ENDNOTES and InDesign CS5
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I get the fact that endnotes is a hot topic issue, but please try to resist the urge to compare Word to InDesign. You do not use one instead of the other but one in conjunction with the other.

Bob