3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 5:15 PM by eh_what?

Essence Marks When Importing Video from Sony PMV320

kwompus Level 1

Sony gives you a great feature to set marks when shooting for reference during editing...but I can't seem to get the marks to appear after importing into PP.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreaciated as this is a great feature Sony offers for editors.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Essence Marks When Importing Video from Sony PMV320
          Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm not aware of any method to see that information in any NLE.

• 2. Re: Essence Marks When Importing Video from Sony PMV320
            eh_what?

AVID imports shot marks / essence marks as a "locator", FCP does it as "edit marker"

Sony VEGAS, Dayang etc as well.

What I´ve found is, that the camcorder stores the marks in a xml-file in the same folder of the mp4-video file. But importing it to Premiere the Adobe-software doesn´t takes the marks. In the xml-file you´ll find the frame-numbers of every mark, so setting the marks in premiere would be theoretically easy for Adobe-programers.

As Premiere doesn´t have tools like scripts, we can´t make a fast workaround. The only option is to take XDCAM-Browser just to find the marks and use this information in Premiere. Not cool, if you have plenty of marks in your sourcefile.

I´ll write a feature-request to Adobe.

• 3. Re: Essence Marks When Importing Video from Sony PMV320
              eh_what? Level 1

Sony VEGAS Pro 11 does it have:

The software provides all the necessary tools to edit proxy and full-resolution HD and SD XDCAM MXF files natively, and it supports all frame rates and aspect ratios, multichannel audio, Essence Marks, and all HD and SD XDCAM compression types.

Source: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/io

I tested it with footage of a Sony PMW 320, it worked very well and newscutting is a matter of minutes now after shooting out there somewhere.

But I still hope, Adobe will implent this soon...