6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2011 10:40 AM by soshagayle7

Stroke is messed up

soshagayle7 Level 1

I can not figure out how to re-set my stroke.  Every time I try to change my color it is oulined with the the color.   The T shows that it is in the outline mode but can't change it back to normal type.  Using Indesign CS5.   So frustrated and such a beginner...

Please help.

• 1. Re: Stroke is messed up
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

When the T button is pressed it means the stroke and fill settings will be applied to the text, when the plain button is pressed it means the settings apply to the frame.

Select the text you want to fix, make sure the T button is pressed, then choose the stroke and fill colors. If you don't want a stroke, choose the [None] swatch, or set the stroke weight to 0.

To set a new default for text in the current document, do the same thing with no text selected. Do it with no docs open to set the default for new work.

• 2. Re: Stroke is messed up
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Peter's got that covered nicely but let me make my usual suggestion to InDesign beginners.

1. Buy Sandee Cohen's Visual Quick Start Guide: http://amzn.to/iJMvKX

2. Check out Lynda.com. This link will get you a free 7-day trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

Bob

• 3. Re: Stroke is messed up
              soshagayle7 Level 1

Thank you for your time!!!   I opened my document. Couldn't fix the box I was typing in so I made a new box.  I click on the Outlined looking T....click on none.... click on black and it prints black with a red outline.  I think I may have my swatch panel all messed up ????   No mater if I click on black or not....  I still get red. 

• 4. Re: Stroke is messed up
                soshagayle7 Level 1

Thank you for the info...  Still having trouble but am going to check out the sites you suggested when I get back from grocery store....  yuk.

Thanks again..

• 5. Re: Stroke is messed up
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you adjusting the swatch for the stroke?

Text Swatches.png

The stroke color is controlled by the lower right of the two paired boxes, and it must be brought to the front by clicking on it top make a change.

• 6. Re: Stroke is messed up
                    soshagayle7 Level 1

You are the winner!!   Thanks for sharing your experience.  What I was doing was after clicking on none I was not going back to the other icon.  If you click none and go straight to a color... you get that color wrapped around the black.    Thanks again!