7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2011 5:44 AM by the_wine_snob

3.0 .avi problems

chasingpavements

I've been working on a project for sometime, and until yesterday, everything worked fine. Now, all of the .avi files in the project can't be found (though they've never been moved), and when I reimport them, they are only found as audio files. I've used GSpot and, apparently, all of the codecs for all of the videos are installed and working correctly. Is there a specific codec I need just for PE3?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: 3.0 .avi problems
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>until yesterday, everything worked fine

Have you installed any new software, and have you received a Windows update?

Working to not working usually means that SOMETHING has changed

Post a GSpot screen shot so everyone may see the details

• 2. Re: 3.0 .avi problems
            chasingpavements Level 1

No, I haven't installed anything nor have I had an update. Attached is the GSpot codec.

codec1.png

• 3. Re: 3.0 .avi problems
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your codec is XVID, which is a streaming video DISPLAY codec, not one designed to be edited... and it usually does NOT edit

To edit an xvid file, start at http://www.xvid.com/

Or find a program to convert to DV-AVI Type II with 48KHz 16-bit Audio

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 3.0 .avi problems
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Where did the AVI files come from? Did you Capture them from a miniDV tape camera, or elsewhere?

I am next confused, as you say the files cannot be found anywhere, except as Audio files, but then post a G-Spot screen-cap of an Xvid file. Where did the file, that you ran thorugh G-Spot come from, if your AVI's have suddenly turned into Audio-only files? Maybe it's just me, but I am completely confused.

As John T.says, Xvid is a very highly-compressed, delivery-only format, and is not meant for editing. Is that what you started with? If so, how did they turn into Audio-only files?

Can you clear things up a bit for me?

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: 3.0 .avi problems
                  chasingpavements Level 1

John - Thanks! That does make sense - but what am I supposed to do on the Xvid site? And I know that Windows Movie Maker can convert the videos, but I'm still confused as to what happened in the first place. Not that you would know that, I'm just saying.

Hunt - I ripped the .avi files from a DVD, and they were saved on an externial hard drive. The files are still .avi files, and they can still be played (as videos) in pretty much any video player, but when I import them to Premiere Elements, only the audio is imported. They're still listed as .avi files, but there's absolutely no video. It looks like an .mp3 file - wavelengths and all.

• 6. Re: 3.0 .avi problems
                    nealeh Level 5

AVI in itself is not a codec. It is a container for encoded media, and in your case the encoded video uses the xvid codec. What program did you use to rip the video from DVD and what settings are available in that program?

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 7. Re: 3.0 .avi problems
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As Neale points out, AVI is but a "wrapper." Almost anything can be inside that wrapper. This ARTICLE will give you much more background.

As far as CODEC's are concerned, this ARTICLE will fill you in.

When you ripped the DVD, you started with a compressed MPEG-2 format file, and then you used additional heavy compression with the Xvid CODEC. That is a delivery-only CODEC, designed to produce streaming media for playback, and not for editing. You have lost quality twice in this workflow, and have created a file, that is not likely to be edited in PrE. Some NLE's do a much better job, than PrE. I would recommend that you either use one of them, convert to DV-AVI, or rip the DVD's to DV-AVI, which will edit smoothly in PrE. One NLE that seems to do better with Xvid and DivX is CyberLink's PowerDirector.

Remember, simple playback is much different, than editing that same footage. As Xvid is designed for streaming playback, so long as one has the CODEC installed in the system, playing is OK. It is when one goes to edit that material, that problems arise.

Good luck,

Hunt