1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 4, 2011 2:54 PM by Peter Spier

?What steps do I take to layout a book in ID

dryheat1

This may seem like a totally ignorant and naive question, but I am really confused.

My book is finished; the illustrations are finished. I have been through ID CS4 one-by-one and still haven't found the answer.

Do I start a book and create the Master pages first and then add the chapter files?

Do I just add the chapters and then set up my Style sheets and Master pages?

Or do I get over my bad case of Analysis Paralysis and "Just Do It"?

Thanks for all help.

dryheat1

• 1. Re: ?What steps do I take to layout a book in ID
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What do you have now?

In ID, a "Book" with a capital B is a collection of Documents that are managed as a single publication through the Book Panel. This works well for long publications, such as books, but is not at all a requirement. You can have a 1,000 page document if you want to go that route. There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods, but you should decide which way you are going before you start. A single doc keeps everythign in one palce and makes it simple, but it can bog down if it gets too large, and if something goes south, the whole thing is gone. A Book allows you to work on smaller chunks, and when something goes wrong it usually affects only one document, but it's more work to keep styles, master pages, numbering, etc. all coordinated.

1 person found this helpful