6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2011 7:03 PM by Molly702

Really Really Need Some Help With Shatter/Masks/Reflections

Molly702

Hello everyone I have become quite stumped on how to create the effect im looking for.

What I want to do is have a video acting as a reflection in lets just say a mirror and have the mirror break to reveal something behind it. Now the tricky part is I do not want to just add a shatter effect to my video and make it break. What I want it to look like is a reflection and when the mirror breaks the video actually doesn't move at all and you can only see the reflection in the broken pieces as they fall.

So far I have only been able to create the shatter effect directly to my video and my video falls to the ground which clearly doesn't look like a reflection in falling pieces of mirror/glass.

I saw this type of effect in a video so ill post the link to that to hopefully give you a better understanding to what I want. I realize that they probably didn't make this in any effect and they actually shot it live on the spot with a video camera but I want to re-create this.

youtube.com/watch?v=HQ7R_buZPSo&feature=player_embedded#at=44

Thanks,
      Shaun

• 1. Re: Really Really Need Some Help With Shatter/Masks/Reflections
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What I want to do is have a video acting as a reflection in lets just say a mirror and have the mirror break to reveal something behind it. Now the tricky part is I do not want to just add a shatter effect to my video and make it break. What I want it to look like is a reflection and when the mirror breaks the video actually doesn't move at all and you can only see the reflection in the broken pieces as they fall.

Here's the first problem that I see. If you were looking at your video in a mirror then the video would be backwards. That's the only difference there would be from looking at the video directly.

Here's the second problem: When a mirror shatters the reflected image will depend on the angle between the mirror and the item. You won't see your "video" in any of the mirror pieces that have rotated in X or Y. You won't "only see the reflection" of the video, you'll see everything around the video like the walls, the floor, the ceiling.

The only way to simulate this behavior accurately is to use ray tracing (tracing the path of light) and an environment map. AE's shatter effect does not support ray tracing. The next option is to use something like displacement mapping to fake it. At speed no one is going to be able to say that the reflections are not right.

Here's what I'd do. I'd set up a shatter map to give me the mirror segments, then I'd use that shatter map as a displacement layer for the video and keyframe the displacement so that there was none until the mirror breaks, then I'd crank up the displacement quickly to move the pixels around as fast and as far as is practical. This would sell the effect.

On the other hand, it would be a very simple thing to use Blender, an open source (free) 3D program that not only supports ray tracing but shatter effects, and create your mirror shatter there.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Really Really Need Some Help With Shatter/Masks/Reflections
            Molly702 Level 1

Alright thank you very much I will try out that program because im fairly new to AE and probably couldn't pull off what you just explained and make it look good. I do want to note that I am using a video with a green screen so it would only be reflecting the model and there would be no background or anything like that. If I could only just get a big piece of glass and film this it would be so much easier it seems. I will try out that program and let you know how it turned out.

Thank you for your quick response!

• 3. Re: Really Really Need Some Help With Shatter/Masks/Reflections

Blender will take some time to get to know if you're new to 3D.

There are tutorials on shatter maps. Here's a good one

I'd pull the key on the greenscreen footage first and render it. Then I'd work on shattering the image. A screenshot of what you are working with would help.

• 4. Re: Really Really Need Some Help With Shatter/Masks/Reflections
                Molly702 Level 1

Alright so basically I want Image A to be showing first and then I want it to shatter into falling pieces and as it shatters you can start to see image B in the background. These are both actually videos and I had to change the background to blue because green was removing the flames on his head when I would key out the green.

If this is going to be extremely difficult for a beginner I might just settle for having image A shatter into pieces and fall to reveal image B. I just thought the effect that I saw in the video I linked looked extremely cool and I wanted to replicate it.

Image A - http://i55.tinypic.com/2zq6b2q.png

Image B - http://i53.tinypic.com/260epur.png

• 5. Re: Really Really Need Some Help With Shatter/Masks/Reflections

Now I'm even more confused. Is image A, the little monster, supposed to be in a frame or is he just full screen. From looking at the example footage, this is easily done in shatter.

First create a comp with your guy, and some kind of background layer and name it MirrorComp or something similar. The background could be a solid or an image. Then key him out. Now add another layer on top that has some kind of noise and overlay or screen it onto the bottom two layers. Adjust the in point of this layer to the point where you want the mirror to shatter.

Now create another comp named Final or something like that and drop your MirrorComp in as the top layer and the background footage (image b) in as the bottom layer. Now apply shatter to the MirrorComp layer and adjust the timing of the Shatter effect to match the timing of the noise layer layer edit by setting keyframes for Force 1 position or radius.

That should do it.

• 6. Re: Really Really Need Some Help With Shatter/Masks/Reflections
                    Molly702 Level 1

The proportions are not how the final video would be I just took screenshots of the videos. If you remember the video I posted in my first post I basically just want to replace that guy with my little monster and the car replaced with the red image. I will try what you suggested and see how that turns out. Again thank you for your quick replies and for all of this help!