1 2 Previous Next 53 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2012 2:33 PM by mjCrane782

Nikon D7000 & CS5.5

Jim_Simon Level 8

This one has me a little stumped.

A producer I work with has recently purchased a Nikon D7000 camera.  We have a major project coming up, so we decided to run some tests of the footage and Premiere Pro 5.5, as we'll probably want to take advantage of the new Merge Clips feature..  The results are more than a little disappointing (and confusing).

The camera uses H.264 compression in an MOV container.  (Bleck!  I feel dirty just having that foul Apple junk on my system.  But that's another issue.)  It produces stand alone files, no folder structure to worry about.  Playback in 5.5 is very choppy, regardless of Playback Resolution.  Export takes about 3X real time, and uses less than 20% CPU cycles, whether doing it directly or through AME.

The same clips in the same sequence play smooth as butter in 5.0.3.  They export faster than real time using 100% of the CPU, both directly and through AME.

Both DV and RED clips seem to play fine in 5.5.

I'm not sure what to make of this 5.5 degradation.  Any ides out there?

(Sample Clip)

http://depositfiles.com/files/bd55vhsyp

• 1. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
          shooternz Level 6

Idea....I think you should take your own advice that you would normally provide to others in instances such as this.

Tell the producer to get a "real camera" for making movies.

:-)

BTW Jim...welcome to the real world.  It aint as bad as it may seem and you now have QT installed ! ....funny what the $$$ does to the attitude of us pros!

I will down load the file later and see what happens in my system.   I have never had any issues with QT or files supplied in those DSLR formats from colleagues.   Will report back.

• 2. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
            JAKE JONSON Level 1

I'm getting very choppy playback as well on my main system with PPro CS5.5.  It plays back fine using Windows Media Player, however, on the same system.  I'll have to try it on my laptop later.  I'm stumped as well.  My Canon DSLR MOV's play fine though in CS5.5.

• 3. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
              Powered by Design Level 4

I cant remember the thread but someone else had a D7000 and I found that renaming the .MOV to .mpg played it smoothly in 5.5

Glenn

picture059.jpg

Edit: found thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3679960

• 4. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Tell the producer to get a "real camera" for making movies.

After seeing the aliasing and other artifacts people complain about, and after trying to pretend a still camera can actually be used as a video camera, I will definitely be recommending the AF100 for this shoot.  He's already planning on about $7,000 for equipment.  He just might have to bump it up a bit for some additional lenses.

Still, the drastic performance difference between 5 and 5.5 under identical conditions confuses me.

• 5. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Good memory with that thread, PbD.  Answerers the question perfectly.

(Hey, I wonder if I can now remove QuiRkTime?! )

• 6. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                    JAKE JONSON Level 1

YES!  Wow... changing to .MPG from .MOV causes PP 5.5 to play it smoothly! The MOV 'format' has had so many pitfalls through the years, it seems.  Not my favorite.

• 7. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5

Glad that  helped.

I wish ADOBE would  create a web based database that someone could check their camera and see how it  works with Premiere.  I know Premiere isn't made for every camera out there but  sometimes that is what the client or friend brings you.

Little things like just  changing the .MOV to .MPG and now something works would help allot of  people.

Maybe Todd or someone  else could make a help page for us giving suggestions for the best way to bring  in footage from different cameras.

Im sure it was set up  some of the mods here wouldn't mind running it and adding to  it.

Anything to make it  easier for new people to use Premiere is better in the long  run.

Enjoy:   GLenn

• 8. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                        Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi PbD,

First of all, I'm the documentation for Premiere Pro now so you can direct your requests to me. Todd is the tech support lead now and you'll see him often on the forums here.

I like your suggestion for including the workflow for importing footage into Premiere Pro for certain cameras and will take that into consideration. However, most cameras "just work." The Nikon D7000 is one of those exceptions, however. There is a problem playing back that footage, and we are working hard in seeking a solution.

For now, we have this page describing import formats: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WSd79b3ca3b623cac97fa024001235833a568-800 0.html

• 9. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          we are working hard in seeking a solution.

I personally recommend entreaties to Nikon to scrap the MOV wrapper and just use a standard AVI or even MTS wrapper instead.

• 10. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5

Thanks Kevin.

Good to know.

Glenn

• 11. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                              3dmus Level 1

it's odd. For me there was no degradation going from CS5 to CS5.5 with my D7000 files. Or maybe there is, but I haven't been observant enough!

• 12. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                Colin-B Level 1

Little things like just  changing the .MOV to .MPG and now something works would help allot of  people.

No software should really rely on the filename extension to decide how it should read or decode a file. It is after all just part of the filename and not very reliable. It's the actual file contents that matter, and they don't change just because the filename extension is changed. This is still a MOV file even if you change the filename extension.

I can't understand why Adobe place any importance on the filename extension in deciding how to process files.

• 13. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                  This is still a MOV file even if you change the filename extension.  I can't understand why Adobe place any importance on the filename extension in deciding how to process files.

I have a theory about that.  Quicktime is still a 32-bit process.  To increase performance, Adobe created native 64-bit Quicktime importers for some MOV codecs, but not all of them.  So some MOV clip handling in Pr relies on Quicktime and some doesn't.  I don't see how Pr could ignore the file extension in the MOV case.  This looks like a case where decoding  the flavor of H.264 video inside Nikon's MOV container relies on 32-bit Quicktime.

-Jeff

• 14. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    This is still a MOV file even if you change the filename extension.

Not sure how this data affects that idea, but even after removing QuickTime completely from my system (yeah ), the renamed files still work fine in PP 5.5.

• 15. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Grin... so much for the old saying "if it looks like a Duck and quacks like a Duck" since now it seems is all you have to do is CALL it an Eagle, and PPro sees an Eagle instead of a Duck!

Oh well... whatever works

• 16. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                        RDA972 Level 3

" it seems is all you have to do is CALL it an Eagle, and PPro sees an Eagle instead of a Duck!"

Perfectly valid point but,

"What's in a name? that which we call a rose
                                        By any other name would smell as sweet"

• 17. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                          3dmus Level 1

I sadly have to retract my earlier statement that there's no difference between CS5 and CS5.5. I now distinctly notice the difference (maybe b/c I'm using longer clips, not sure). I will try the renaming workaround. However, is there any due date for the official fix?

• 18. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

I've heard nothing.

But since a simple rename works, and doing so obviates the need for QuickTime being installed, even after the official fix I'll still be renaming.

• 19. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                              3dmus Level 1

OK, thanks and can confirm that the workaround works. Just one minor annoyance: Windows Media Player can't play the files anymore. Would I somehow need to install a new codec or something (which is odd considering the fact that I only changed the extension)? In the mean time I reverted to using quick time.

• 20. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

WMP is about the worst media player out there.  Use The KM Player, VLC or GOM Player instead (all of which can play QuickTime files without having to install QuickTime).

• 21. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

As Kevin said, we're working on some fixes for some performance issues in this area. We'll give an update here as soon as we can.

• 22. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                    3dmus Level 1

Many thanks for the update. In the mean time, I noticed Adobe Bridge seems to be struggling with the files once they've been renamed with ".mpg"? Takes forever to get the thumbnails showing, and preview of the video...takes even longer? It may be just my system/codecs loaded etc, but just wanted to check if this behaviour is expected or not.

• 23. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                      praguebrian

Changing the file extention to .MPG makes the playback run smoothly for me, however when I apply effects it stutters again. It also stutters in After Effects regardless of changing the extention, even without any effects added.

• 24. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                        praguebrian Level 1

Hi Kevin, since your post was dated Sept. 15, 2010 and it's now 9 months later, could you update us about the status of this fix. I just bought a D7000 and am using a trial version of PPro 5.5 while trying to decide whether I'll buy it or go for another product. So far with this stuttering it doesn't bode well for PPro. I've changed the file extention to .MPG, which allows it t play back fine in PPro, but not in After Effects (even before I apply any effects). And in PPro, once I apply an effect, it again stutter unless I first render it. Is there a workable solution in sight or should Istart looking into other products? Thanks.

Brian

PS: I didn't mean to double post, I was tired when I wrote the post above and wasn't able to formuate my thoughts properly. I wasn't able to delete it.

• 25. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

That stuttering sounds more like a limitation of your system than any problem with PP or the media.  What are the hardware specs of your system?

• 26. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                            praguebrian Level 1

Hey Jim,

I'm on a 2.6 GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard (10.6.7) w/ 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2  SDRAM, 200 GB Hitachi Serial-ATA @7200 rpm, NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT and Eizo SX2262W 1920x1200 display.

If my system isn't strong enough for this, are there any cheaper options than upgrading my system?

• 27. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Yeah, I'd say it's more of a hardware than a media issue.

For this kind of stuff, a recent quad-core CPU is very strongly recommended, an i7-950 or i7-2500K at a minimum.  And with the 64-bit nature of PP, anything less than 8GB of memory is just asking for performance issues to occur.

Finally, you'll do a lot better price/performance wise going with Windows 7.

• 28. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Unfortunately, the fix didn't get done for CS5.5. We're still working on it and hope to have a fix in an upcoming release. Sorry I can't be more specific.

• 29. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                                  praguebrian Level 1

Hey Kevin, thanks for the update. Just a question: obviously my system isn't strong enough for this either way, but if I upgrade my system, what problems am I going to encounter with my D7000 footage? It's tough making expensive purchasing choices based on a lot of unknowns... Thanks.

(PS: My apologies, you original note on the matter was from June of this year, I was looking at your "psts since" date when I thought you'd made the post in Sept., whihc seemed curious since the D7000 wasn't out yet, silly me...)

• 30. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm using an i7 920 and once the files are renamed as .mpg, they work fine in CS5.5.  I can easily have four layers running without a glitch.

• 31. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Going a bit offtopic.

Is the rest of the footage you got the same quality as the uploaded clip.

I find it somewhat disappointing: noise and flickering and not sharp.

Is this the Nikon or the guy behind the camera?

• 32. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                                        RDA972 Level 3
                                                                        function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

I'm using an i7 920 and once the files are renamed as .mpg, they work fine in CS5.5.  I can easily have four layers running without a glitch.

Ditto here.

I stopped experimenting after stacking more than 10 tracks with effects of the footage the OP provided.

Assisted by the Quadro 5000 and the i7 980X, CS5.5 plays back the multi-layered composition at full resollution as if it were one track of DV footage.

• 33. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Is this the Nikon or the guy behind the camera?

I'm hoping the latter.  All the footage looks as disappointing as the uploaded clip.  It was a first test without any special attention paid to camera settings, just to see how the media worked on my system with CS5.5.

• 34. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                                            5004sqdn Level 1

Jim:

I downloaded GOM player and found that it makes a real mess out of my .mov files. It plays them all upside down and a 59 sec clip played in 3 secs and a 2min 50 sec clip played in 6 secs.

Any ideas please?

• 35. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Try VLC or KM Player instead.  I have both installed and both work fine.

• 36. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                                                5004sqdn Level 1

As usual, Jim, your advice and help were fruitful. I downloaded VLC and "voila" .mov files show well in there.

This is probably not the time to do this but Oh - what the heck.... I would personally like to thank you and Ann, Harm, Colin, Shooter, Bill, Stan and Todd (and I know I have left others out) who religiously profer your advice to help us all out. I lurk a lot and don't always ask questions but they are usually being asked by someone else anyway. I am a newbie to CS5 and am learning a lot from these forums.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN.

• 37. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Glad we could help.

• 38. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                                                    LordOfVisions

FYI: You may find this interesting.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3780003#3780003

• 39. Re: Nikon D7000 & CS5.5
                                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Man, that's a whole lot of work.  Seems easier to just batch rename the extensions.  That works perfectly, and you get the added benefit of not needing QuickTime installed.

1 2 Previous Next