11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2011 11:09 AM by the_wine_snob

All .m4v files only import for 1 second (PRE 9/Windows 7)

Alan (Advent)

Hi,

I'm a new PRE 9 user and am experiencing a really significant problem with importing .m4v files: Every .m4v I select ends at the 1-second mark and there does not seem to be any way to make the program see past that 1-second mark in the source file. Other file formats I've tried seem just fine, but most of the source material I want to use is already in .m4v files and have to think that this is some kind of bug.

Does anyone know what's going on here--and, more importantly, how to fix the problem so I can access the entire content of the .m4v files I want to use in PRE 9?

Thanks a lot and take care,

Alan

• 1. Re: All .m4v files only import for 1 second (PRE 9/Windows 7)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

Welcome to the forum.

Where did the M4v files come from?

What does the free utility, MediaInfo say are the full properties of those files?

When you have Imported them into PrE, if you Right-click on one in the Project Panel, and choose Properties, what does PrE say are the properties of these files? It could be that PrE is missing an important flag, and perhaps one can choose Interpret Footage, to force PrE to see the files correctly.

What is your Project Preset, chosen when you do New Project?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: All .m4v files only import for 1 second (PRE 9/Windows 7)
            Alan (Advent) Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Thanks for the rapid reply (and the welcome too). I think most of the files came from Handbrake (importing DVD content) if memory serves. All these .m4v files play just fine in Windows Media Player, QuickTime Player, etc.

I opened the properties for the last .m4v I tried to use (this morning) in PrE and the properties are listed as follows....

Type: MPEG Movie
            File Size: 566.6 MB
            Image Size: 718 x 370
            Pixel Depth: 32
            Frame Rate: 90000.00
            Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo
            Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
            Total Duration: 00;00;01;09
            Average Data Rate: 425.3 MB/second
            Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.1847

MediaInfo documents the same (.m4v) files properties as....

General

Complete name                    : C:\Users\Alan\Videos\Advent\Advent performances\Advent at MARPROG (Franklin's shoot) DVD 1.m4v

Format                           : MPEG-4

Format profile                   : Base Media / Version 2

Codec ID                         : mp42

File size                        : 567 MiB

Duration                         : 1h 6mn

Overall bit rate                 : 1 188 Kbps

Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-04-15 13:27:00

Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-04-15 13:43:34

Writing application              : HandBrake 0.9.5 2011010300

Video

ID                               : 1

Format                           : AVC

Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                   : Main@L3.0

Format settings, CABAC           : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames

Codec ID                         : avc1

Codec ID/Info                    : Advanced Video Coding

Bit rate mode                    : Variable

Bit rate                         : 1 093 Kbps

Width                            : 718 pixels

Height                           : 370 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 2.25:1

Original display aspect ratio    : 2.25:1

Frame rate mode                  : Variable

Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps

Minimum frame rate               : 9.990 fps

Maximum frame rate               : 29.980 fps

Color space                      : YUV

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0

Bit depth                        : 8 bits

Scan type                        : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.137

Stream size                      : 521 MiB (92%)

Writing library                  : x264 core 112

Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=0 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=0 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=300 / keyint_min=29 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=20.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=3 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Color primaries                  : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361

Matrix coefficients              : BT.601-6 525, BT.1358 525, BT.1700 NTSC, SMPTE 170M

Audio

ID                               : 2
            Format                           : AAC
            Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
            Format profile                   : LC
            Codec ID                         : 40
            Bit rate                         : 91.0 Kbps
            Maximum bit rate                 : 339 Kbps
            Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
            Channel positions                : Front: L R
            Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
            Compression mode                 : Lossy
            Stream size                      : 43.4 MiB (8%)
            Tagged date                      : UTC 2011-04-15 13:43:33

Text
            ID                               : 3
            Format                           : Apple text
            Codec ID                         : text
            Bit rate                         : 1 bps
            Stream size                      : 327 Bytes (0%)

Also, new PrE project appear to default to: "NTSC-Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders-Standard 48kHz" (which I'm assuming is the default, as I don't recall changing anything).

I hope this information helps. Any insights as to how to get past this problem (bug?) would be greatly appreciated.

Take care and thanks again for your help,

Alan

• 3. Re: All .m4v files only import for 1 second (PRE 9/Windows 7)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

Thank you for the info.

If you are starting with a DVD-Video, I do not understand what Handbrake is doing in the ripping. What you want from the VOB's on the DVD-Videos is the MPEG-2 files, which will be either 720 x 480 (NTSC), or 720 x 576 (PAL), and at 29.97 FPS (NTSC), or 25 FPS (PAL).

Why you are getting that odd Frame Size, and why Handbrake is using AVCHD for the CODEC, are mysteries. I do not know if this is due to some setting, or perhaps just the way that Handbrake does things.

Though aimed at an issue in PrPro CS4, this THREAD might be of use.

You might want to take a look at this ARTICLE, and especially Jeff Bellune's instructions at the end.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: All .m4v files only import for 1 second (PRE 9/Windows 7)
                Alan (Advent) Level 1

Hi again Hunt,

Brief update: Based on your feedback, I tried setting "Assume this frame rate:" (in "Interpret Footage) to 29.97 and now the video portion seems to be the correct duration--however it appears to have sacrificed all the corresponding audio in the process. So it seems as though PrE is misinterpreting the file's video frame rate as 90 kfps, even though MediaInfo knows that it's actually standard 29.97 (drop-frame if I remember correctly)--and, while I can change the "Interpret Footage" to get the video right, that kills all the audio.

Am still wondering if there is some bug here (possibly in a codec or the way the Adobe software seems to be misreading/miscalculating the actual frame rate of the file.

I hope this info is helpful. Again, any guidance toward a resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

• 5. Re: All .m4v files only import for 1 second (PRE 9/Windows 7)
                  Alan (Advent) Level 1

Hi again Hunt,

Thanks for the additional feedback (that you posted while I was constructing my last reply). I think I still have access to the original DVDs, but am not sure if and how PrE can import them aside from copying the .VOB files--and that doesn't seem to allow for transitions between segments to flow accurately. If there's a better way to import the DVD video directly (without using Handbrake), that would be great. Otherwise, I'm wondering what the best solution would be. (Still think PrE should know how to interpret the existing .m4v files correctly, as all the other video software I run can play those files just fine though.)

Thanks again!

Take care,

Alan

• 6. Re: All .m4v files only import for 1 second (PRE 9/Windows 7)
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

Though not the "ultimate" workflow, give this a try:

1. Copy your files to a different Folder.
                    2. Rename them, by post-pending something like "audio" to the end of the filename, just before the extension.
                    3. Import those into the Project too.
                    4. Drag to the Timeline, and then Unlink the Audio & Video. One can do this by Alt+clicking on just the Video, or by choosing Unlink Audio & Video.
                    5. Delete the Video
                    6. Select all Audio Clips, and drag to Audio Track 2
                    7. Now, with the Interpret Footage files (already in your Project), do just the opposite, Deleting the Audio.

I'm still looking for another thread, or two, about issues others have had with Handbrake footage, but have not located them yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: All .m4v files only import for 1 second (PRE 9/Windows 7)
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

Here is a THREAD with issues when using Handbrake. John T. Smith added some other links. Perhaps something in those would be of use.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: All .m4v files only import for 1 second (PRE 9/Windows 7)
                        Alan (Advent) Level 1

Hi again Hunt,

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I don't think I can get more than 1 second of audio out of the .m4v files via PrE (or accompanying Adobe software), so I suspect that will prevent me from getting the audio portion of the .m4v file. Took a brief look at the threads you very kindly posted--and, while I think there is definitely some helpful info here, there are two things I'd like to try to address more directly if possible:

1. As virtually every other video software (including Windows Live Movie Maker) loads/imports/interprets these .m4v files correctly, I still have to assume that there is an inherent bug on the Adobe side. As Adobe formally documents support for .m4v files, I would hope that they would step up to address this particular problem and provide some sort of fix. (Am guessing this fix might also help Premiere Pro CS users, too, as there seem to be quite a few references to what appears to be the same problem there.) Is there any way to escalate this to the appropriate support team within Adobe?

2. Is there any easy/practical way to leverage .VOB files directly from DVDs in such a manner that adjacent clips can be aligned to allow a smooth transition between video and audio frames can be maintained within a PrE project? (Most video-ripping software, Handbrake included, seems to be able to process these transitions smoothly, so I'd hope there might be some way to accomplish the same thing within the Adobe [Elements] software suite.)

Alan

• 9. Re: All .m4v files only import for 1 second (PRE 9/Windows 7)
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

The M4v file format is but a wrapper, and various flavors of file can be inside. The support of the format by PrE and PrPro will be for camera-generated versions, where all of the header info is in place, where it should be, and in a perfect form. When such files are generated by 3rd party programs, then it becomes a matter of, might work, but might not. Working with the Handbrake files might be more of a Handbrake issue, than an Adobe issue. I just do not know.

In the DVD/VOB article, that I linked to, Jeff Bellune steps through a ripping that will assemble the MPEG-2 streams into one seamless file, i.e. it concatenates the files. His instructions are in Reply # 21 in that article.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: All .m4v files only import for 1 second (PRE 9/Windows 7)
                            Alan (Advent) Level 1

Hi Hunt,

Thanks very much, once again, for all your help. My first project did not actually breach a .VOB boundary, so I just went ahead and dealt with that as the source. Will definitely check out the additional info you so kindly shared to try and get a better understanding of what's happening and other ways to get around it. (Will still try to report the problem to Adobe, though, as there is some incompatibility that no other software I've encountered seems to have any issue with--and it would really be nice if they could update the software accordingly. Will let you know if I make any progress on that front.)

All the best,

Alan

• 11. Re: All .m4v files only import for 1 second (PRE 9/Windows 7)
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

One of the strengths of most Adobe software is that it very closely adheres to standards, whether the DVD-specs., the JPEG specs, etc.. One of the weaknesses of most Adobe software is that it tries to very closely adhere to all those standards.

Adobe shoots for 100% on output, but has to draw the line somewhere with input. Some other software tends to play a bit fast-n-loose with some standards. That may, or may not be an issue.

When an Adobe product cannot input a particular file, one often has to rely on other software, to at least get started.

An instance of this is with some programs' JPEG files. If the header is not well-written, Photoshop will just not Open them. The trick, that usually works is to first Open the problem JPEG in another program, like IrfanView, PhotoImpact, or ThumbsPlus. Then, just do a Save. Those programs are much more lenient with the poorly written header info, and can usually Open all but the most corrupt files. However, they then write good headers, with that Save, and PS usually has zero issues with the files.

I see something like this with some converted DV-AVI files. Every now and then, PrPro will get their Duration incorrect. I have never found a way to correct that in PrPro. What I did find, however, was that PrE usually got the Duration correct. I just Import those problem files into PrE, then Export/Share to the same exact format/CODEC and settings. The two files look the same, have the exact same bytes, and file matching utilities see them as identical. Still, some is now different in the header, as PrPro will see the correct Duration with the PrE Exported file. A workaround? Yes, but for the few such problem files now always work perfectly, so I am happy that I have that workaround.

Good luck,

Hunt