6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2011 9:24 PM by The Primate

Converting videos

The Primate Level 1

I have Design Premier 3.0, and Flash and Fireworks CS5. I want to PLACE my videos (mpg, avi, mp4) into Indesign CS 5 and limit the file size so that the .pdf file is less than 10 Meg. Can I use those programs to convert the videos to something InDesign will use and export? How?

Next, if I do get them into the program, how can I add a skin to them that has play and pause on it like the videos on the Internet?

Thanks!

Lou

• 1. Re: Converting videos
          Petteri_Paananen Level 4

Use Adobe Media Encoder for converting your videos (installs with InDesign). Flash Video is suggested format. After you have placed your video, you can add a skin/controller in Window>Interactive>Media panel.

• 2. Re: Converting videos
            The Primate Level 1

Thanks for the reply! It's really appreciated.

>Use Adobe Media Encoder for converting your videod.

Is that a program included in Design Premium? Or does that have to be downloaded from the web?

Flash Video is suggested  format.

So Adobe Media will have an import selection for my videos and an export selection of "Flash Video", right? Then I can use the place command to put it in InDesign?

>You can add a skin/controller after you have placed your video in Media panel.

Thanks!

Lou

• 3. Re: Converting videos
              Petteri_Paananen Level 4

Adobe Media Encoder is part of CS Design Premium, unless you didn´t uncheck it in installation window, it should be installed into your computer. Try to find it from your Applications (mac) or Program Files (win) folder. Or use search.

After you have opened Media Encoder, simply drag&drop your video(s) to Media Encoder application window, choose right profile or customize your own and click Start Queue button.... Media Encoder will export your video as FLV or F4V (both of them are Flash Videos).

You can File>Place result of that export directly to InDesign and finetune it´s settings in Media panel.

• 4. Re: Converting videos
                The Primate Level 1

Thanks so much for your advice! I have the videos in the Indesign document 

and they have skins!. One more thing. How can I get the size of the

exported  interactive .pdf file down. It's 185 meg for all three. AOL has a limit

of  16 meg for emailing.

Lou

Adobe Media Encoder is part of CS Design Premium, unless you didn´t 

uncheck it in installation window, it should be installed into your computer.  Try

to find it from your Applications (mac) or Program Files (win) folder. Or 

use search.

After you have opened Media Encoder, simply  drag&drop your video(s) to

Media Encoder application window, choose right  profile or customize your own

and click Start Queue button.... Media Encoder  will export your video as FLV

or F4V (both of them are Flash  Videos).

You can File>Place result of that export directly to  InDesign and finetune

it´s settings in Media  panel.

• 5. Re: Converting videos
                  Petteri_Paananen Level 4

You can compress your videos more in Media Encoder... choose another profile or make your own setting. I guess you need to explore a little which settings produce best result - small enough size but still good enough quality.

Couple of tips (if you make your own setting):

-use F4V rather than FLV

-make your video to excactly right size (width&height), measure the place of video in indesign if needed.

-if you have to use Audio, use Mono... if you don´t need audio, uncheck it from Audio tab

Optional methods:

-make framerate lower (FPS)

-cut off useless parts of video

• 6. Re: Converting videos
                    The Primate Level 1

Hi!

Thanks for the clear, simple directions. They worked. One video was 120 Meg

and it's now 12. I appreciate your expertise.

Lou

You can  compress your videos more in Media Encoder... choose another

profile or make  your own setting. I guess you need to explore a little which

settings produce  best result - small enough size but still good enough 

quality.

Couple of tips:

-use F4V rather than  FLV

-make your video to excactly right size (width&height), measure the  place

of video in indesign if needed.

-if you have to use Audio, use  Mono... if you don´t need audio, uncheck it

from Audio  tab

Optional methods:

-make framerate lower (FPS)

-cut off  useless parts of video