6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2011 2:31 PM by John T Smith

"Add Media Error" - Premier Elements 7

vydakinfo

Question for everyone.

My laptop (with P.E. 8) is in the shop so I am using my P.E. 7 edition on my home computer to create a simple project.  After attempting to add a four media clip (by the way, all 4 clips are very small, short), I am getting this error pop-up:

"Add Media Error - There is not enough memory to add the requested media."

Now, I can tell you that on my computer, 90% of my work is sitting in an external, 2 terabyte hard drive.  I have over 200 Gigs of free space on my home computer.  This new, short project is the one of the only projects currently sitting on my desktop.  There is no way that I am out of memory.

Currently, while typing this question on this forum, I'm defragmenting my hard drive and doing a disk clean up.  Perhaps my settings are off?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

David

• 1. Re: "Add Media Error" - Premier Elements 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

There is "memory," and then there is "memory." This ARTICLE goes into more detail about one type of "memory," and might prove helpful.

Also, resources can be stolen by other processes and programs, and this ARTICLE might be helpful for freeing up more of those resources, often seen as "memory."

I would also ask that you give us the full details of the computer, the Source Files and the Project. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on what info would be so very helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: "Add Media Error" - Premier Elements 7
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Bill. This message usually indicates a need to render your timeline because you've either added effects or, more often, you've got a mismatch between your source video and your project settings.

What type of camcorder did your video come from? And, when you started your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you select?

Are you seeing a red line above your clips on your timeline? If so, you need to render your timeline (press Enter) so that the red line turns green. You will see a marked improvement in performance.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: "Add Media Error" - Premier Elements 7
              vydakinfo Level 1

Dear Steve and Bill,

Thank you both for your assistance.  From your comments, I decided to do a little research and back track.  I found out that I was accidentally formatting the 'raw videos' directly from my cameras as MPeg1s.  This occurred in error but I didn't notice it when assembling the video project.

After three Mpeg1s, the video project was taking up too much memory and I was unable to continue.

So, I spent about 2 hours reformatting all of the original videos (from the camera) into .avi's instead and soon found that I was able to complete the entire project perfectly.

Thanks for your recommendations.  Both of your comments caused me to re-think the video project from the beginning and it all worked out.

David

• 4. Re: "Add Media Error" - Premier Elements 7
                vydakinfo Level 1

By the way, gentlemen, my video needs are really growing quickly and I looks like I need to purchase some equipment to take this

part-time income rather seriously.  I can easily see myself converting my part time income into a full time venture.

So I'm about to purchase a new CPU and Digitial Camera.  Any recommendations before I begin searching?

I'm not too concerned about cost but I definitely want to ensure that my computer and camera can handle/provide top knotch capability, storage and quality.

David

• 5. Re: "Add Media Error" - Premier Elements 7
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

David,

For the camera, what types of work are you wishing to do? That can narrow things down a bit.

I'd also post the Muvipix.com Community Forums, as there are a lot of varied camera users there, and you are likely to get some great recs.

For a general starting point on the computer, I'd look over Harm Millaard's articles, linked HERE.

Harm is approaching his mechanical sprecs. from the PrPro point of view, but he does cover some lower-cost, but effective items, as well. You might have to read between the lines a bit. For some great topics with questions and answers, spend a bit of time, reading the posts in the Hardware Forum. Lot of good info there too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: "Add Media Error" - Premier Elements 7
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

First, go to the http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum and click the link just above the messages to read several articles

The aim in that forum is mostly CS5, but still some very good information

Second, figure out the computer you need based on the camera you select... BEFORE you buy the camera

This message has a really good graphic about requirements
                    CS5 Requirements http://forums.adobe.com/thread/810750?tstart=0

My CS5/AVCHD 1st Impressions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 includes a link to the computer I built... since the GTX 285 is no longer sold, I would now go with a GTX 460 or whatever is the current "best bang for the buck" - AND I would buy 4Gig-by-3Sticks memory to be able to expand from 12Gig to 24Gig if needed
                    For my home hobbyist, family movies (which means that I am not trying to recreate Star Wars with video effects or many layers) AVCHD editing is "as smooth as spreading warm butter on hot toast" (also the MP4 video from wife's Flip camera)
                    My 3 hard drives are configured as... (WD = Western Digital)
                    1 - 320G WD Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs
                    2 - 320G WD Win7 swap file and video project files
                    3 - 1T WD all video files... input & output files