7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2011 8:30 AM by the_wine_snob

nvidia or ATI

vital02

Hello,

Wich videocard is the best for video editing with premiere elements ?

What are the profits of a NVIDIA and what are the profits of an ATI card ?

What should I buy ?

• 1. Re: nvidia or ATI
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Either brand should work with Premiere Elements. They are both excellent.

• 2. Re: nvidia or ATI
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve. Either will work fine. The biggest concern with a video card in PrE is that it is current enough to have full driver support from the mfgr. If you choose a current model of nVidia, or ATI, the driver support will be there.

It is the lack of driver development and support, that keeps most embedded video-chips, like the Intels, from being a good choice for video editing. Also, some computer mfgrs. use tweaked drivers, that are proprietary. Those can be problematic, but it seems that both Dell & HP do a pretty good job of keeping their proprietary versions of the video drivers updated. That is not always true with some mfgrs., and especially with some of the laptop mfgrs.

The only possible consideration for a video card, would be if Adobe added the MPE (Mercury Playback Engine) to PrElements. It is inside PrPro, as of CS5. MPE only works with certain nVidia, CUDA-enabled cards. None of us knows if Adobe has ANY plans to bring MPE to PrE, and I find that prospect doubtful, because of the target market of PrE and also the price-point of the program. Still, we just do not know what might be in the plans. I would say to go with the nVidia, or ATI card that fits your price range, and if MPE ever does show up in PrE, then just upgrade to one of the supported, CUDA-enabled nVidia cards at that time. If it ever shows up, I predicte that it will NOT be for at least two years.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: nvidia or ATI
              vital02 Level 1

I think I will go for the MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC or the HAWK version.

• 4. Re: nvidia or ATI
                vital02 Level 1

Isn't there a list with supported videocards, can't find it

• 5. Re: nvidia or ATI
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not recall a list of "approved," or "certified" video cards, as almost any, with good driver support, will work with PrE. Now,for PrPro CS5/CS5/5, there is a list, since its MPE relies on the CUDA capabilities of several nVidia cards. The cards on THAT list are certified by Adobe, but several other cards can be used, with a rewriting of a text file. However, that list really has no bearing on cards for PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: nvidia or ATI
                    Skiz77

What about this?

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/873/cpsid_87347.html

I find it entertaining that a TNT2 video card from the late nineties with 1/1000th the performance is supported, but not a mainstream ATI Radeon HD 5750?

I don't know if this is typical, but with my ATI Radeon HD 5700, applying filters and transitions results in awful performance -- basically I can't even click or preview video or anything.

Now, rendering the final version is definitely fast.

• 7. Re: nvidia or ATI
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for that Adobe KB.

That an older, less powerful card is certified is testimony to how little PrE relies on the GPU. I can also see where some cards would not be on such a list, if they were released after the certification list was done, or were not available to Adobe in time to physically test and certify a particular card.

I noticed that Intel chips are listed. The performance of those chips is adequate to run PrE, but my issue is with their almost total lack of timely driver support. Certification of a particular card/chip is one thing, but running a program, like PrE, that interfacs so very closely with the video driver, where there is little driver support, is something that I would bring into question.

Again, thank you for that chart.

Hunt