5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2011 12:02 PM by mikepier2

3d realtime camera recorder?

mikepier2

Hi,

Is there a software/hardware solution that records 3d camera information in realtime as you fly the camera around in 3d space around bounding box or wireframe objects using say...a nintendo controller of something like that?

Thanks for your time.

• 1. Re: 3d realtime camera recorder?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you're talking about motion capture then the answer is yes but not on the consumer level. Motion capture systems cost as much if not more than motion control systems (programable repeatable camera moves). OptiTrack is one solution. Here's the top end solution:

If you want to just shoot with a hand held camera and then match the movement to AE's camera you're probably much better off using something like CameraTracker or SynthEyes.

If neither of these solutions work then I probably don't understand what you're trying to do.

• 2. Re: 3d realtime camera recorder?
            mikepier2 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply...actually I am looking for something in virtual 3d to fly around in realtime and be able to record usable 3d camera data.  My current project is to fly around some diamond rings and I thought it would be useful to have some bounding boxes and fly around using a game controller to navigate in realtime 3d.  Does that make sense?  I was wanting to find something  where I didn't have to use keyframing etc.  I figure its not very probable but I thought I'd see if  there was anything like it out there.  Thanks for any help.

• 3. Re: 3d realtime camera recorder?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm still not sure that I follow you. I can see wanting to record some movement in real time. I'm assuming that you have some diamond rings that have either been photographed or rendered in 3D.  If they have been photographed, then you'll want to use something to track the camera movement. If you've placed some rendered 3D objects in a scene and you want to fly around them in AE then you should get a handle on animating the camera. It's very easy if you attach the camera to a null, use the null as the dolly. Then animate the dolly.

I don't know how you'd ever match 3D objects in AE's 3D space with some captured camera move without putting that camera move inside the 3D app and render your objects with the same move.

The only way that you could use captured camera movement to fly around 3D objects in AE is to use something like Invigorator.

• 4. Re: 3d realtime camera recorder?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What Rick said - you're trying to solve a simple problem the hard way and it's only to cost you a lot of dough if you did it that way. People do amazing things with Wii controllers and Kinect, but still, at best these are experiments. The resolution, range and precision on no level holds up to professional capture systems, so for the time being, you'll have much more control using conventional keyframing or using more classical pseudo-3D input devices like a SpaceMouse...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: 3d realtime camera recorder?
                  mikepier2 Level 1

Thanks,  that confirms what I suspected.  I appreciate your time.