27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 12:25 AM by dkitsov

Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy

milanpeyrac Level 1

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum and video editing so please be patient and bare with me as I try and explain what the issue is. First and foremost I would like to say thank you for taking the time to read my question.

I have a gopro HD recorder which I used on my trip and recorded a bunch of movies. They were recorded in 1080P/30FPS.

I am able to play these on my MAC in any player, (I use VLC) and work fine - no lag what so ever.

I opening up Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and creating a new project as follows with following sequence settings (I've tried multiple ones)

AVCHD 1080P25 Anamorphic or AVCHD 1080P30 or AVCHD 1080P25

Once this is complete I add my video in with an MP3 as audio and a picture saved as JPEG to the first 20 seconds (Video is about 3 minutes long). So far everything is good. Also between the picture and the video I add a video transition.

When I export the video as H.264 1080P25 or H.264 1080P30 (PAL) I notice that after movie transitions from the JPEG to the actual video it becomes laggy and very choppy on all media players, including VLC, Quicktime.

This is were the problem is frustrating - If I remove the JPEG and video transition effect and just have the video with audio track and export with same settings above the video is absolutely fine. No lag what so ever.

So it seems that the JPEG is causing me issues. Has anyone experienced this and could point me in the right direction?

To be absolutely clear, the picture is about 500KB and size is 1280 * 960 JPEG.

The system I am using is

Macbook Pro

2.3Ghz I7 Quad

8gb ram

1gb dedicated video card

I don't think its my computer as I tested both video's (with and without the jpeg) on other machines and get the same results. The Video with the JPEG is choppy while the others play fine.

I would very much appreciate any assistance as I am trying to create a Video to send to all our supports for a rally we participated in.

Thanks so much again for taking the time to read my question.

Kind regards,

Milan

• 1. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
          milanpeyrac Level 1

Does anyone have any idea?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks,

Milan

• 2. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
            Triceratopstamer

I have the same problem. I think it's my pc and the codec. What you should try is to upload your laggy version on youtube (or wherever you want to upload it) and see if it still lags, when you stream it from there. Or save it as a WMV or MPEG2.

• 3. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
              Harm Millaard Level 7

The MBP does not meet minimum requirements. It is too underpowered in most situations - depending on the codec used - to perform adequately.

See: Adobe Forums: System requirements for CS5

• 4. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                milanpeyrac Level 1

Thanks for your input guys. I can see that it requires a pretty beefy computer to make AVCHD files.

However I still don't understand why its only happening when I insert a jpeg? When having the video on its on its no issue what so ever.

To encode a 5 minute file as 1080P25 H.264 it only takes me 5 minutes.

Any more thoughts as to why the JPEG is screwing it up and nothing else?

Thanks in advance

Milan     

• 5. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                  Triceratopstamer Level 1

Thanks a lot! :-) I suggested it.

• 6. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                    SFL46 Level 3

Any more thoughts as to why the JPEG is screwing it up and nothing else?

Without the JPEG and transitions, PrPro is playing the native file transfered from the camera.  When you add the transition, PrPro must decode the video to process the transition and then encode it to play it back.  This takes processor cycles.

I think one way to get around this is to razor the video so that the portion under the transition is as long as the transition.  Then, only that short piece of video needs to go through the decode encode.

You may see this in the thin color bar that appears above the clips--if the bar turns red over the video when you place the transition--that's PrPro way of telling you it cant play back the video at real time speeds.

• 7. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                      dkitsov Level 2

Couple of things that will help you.

The issue you seem to be having pertains to trying to fit a square peg into a round hole - ie you import/render framerates not compatible to the rates of your original recording. An easy way to make sure that you are editing and exporting at the correct framesize and framerate is to either create a new project and then ignore and click cancel on the sequence settings window. After that import your footage and create a new sequence by dragging a clip from a list in a project panel onto create a new item icon. A sequence created garanteed to be correct for the clip in question. If you will try to put video's with a different frame rate into the sequence after that it will produce a less than perfect result (altough doable if you'll use Use frame blending tick in your export media dialoge later)

Also, the settings you use to encode your h.264 are also important. If you choose something like 100Mbps in your bitrate settings in Export settings it might become choppy. For good HD quality Ifor final consumption) no need to go above 30Mbps. Also it is important that your export framerates and or filed order matches those of your sequence, which in turn matches the source file format.

Hope it helps.

• 8. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                        milanpeyrac Level 1

Thanks guys. Let me have a look at what both of you have suggested in a couple of hours and I will report back.

By the way SFL46, what do you mean by razoring? How can I do this also?

• 9. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                          dkitsov Level 2

You may ignore the razoring advice. The fact that you have a jpeg transitioning into the video has nothing to do with rendering. PPro is intellegent enough (unlike after effects, but there it is by design and for a reason) to only render those parts of the video that are needed.

• 10. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                            milanpeyrac Level 1

Hey Dkitsov,

I followed all your steps and again if I add the JPEG i get the stutter. I have exported the clip as h.264, correct frame rates and size. At default of 32mbps - maximum of 40.

It still stutters after the JPEG.

The thing i did notice is above the JPEG the line is red, but where the video is the line is yellow. Any other suggestions?

Thanks alot for your help thus far.

Kind regards,

Milan

• 11. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                              dkitsov Level 2

Quick question about the HdPro Footage footage, do you by any chance use a new GoPro Studio by Cineform to convert your clips?

• 12. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                milanpeyrac Level 1

Hey Dkitsov,

I haven't used any software to convert the clips. All I have done is copied the clips from the SD card directly to my computer.

• 13. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                  dkitsov Level 2

Ok. Let's follow the method of elimination than. Use Preview app on Mac (you are on a Mac, right?) to open the Jpeg in question and then chose Save as and save it as a Tiff or a TGA image file and try doing your sequence with the resulting tiff instead of jpeg.

Just so you know my money is stil on wrong field/wrongframe rate settings. But who knows, there are a few different things that call themeselves jpeg.

Also try reimporting the resulting video into premiere pro as a clip and try playing it inside the premiere pro. Also go to the Apple>System Preferences>Energy Saver and chose Better Performance (it will sign you out, so save your work) to see if the GPU is cauing issues.

• 14. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                    milanpeyrac Level 1

hmmm very interesting.

Yes I have a mac.

So what I have done is saved the jpeg as a tiff and now exporting the footage as h.264 1080P25 PAL default bit rate of 32mbps to max 40. (as before)

I also followed your advice and did not select sequence, instead I dragged the footage over the new thingy and it codec was I-mpeg 25fps.

EDIT - IT DOESN"T WORK ANY BETTER WITH QUICKTIME. I SPOKE TOO SOON!

• 15. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                      milanpeyrac Level 1

Should I try to export it differently maybe? I would still like to keep it HD 1080 - as its shot natively that way

• 16. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                        dkitsov Level 2

sure, try as a quicktime mp4 at around 10000-15000Kbps

• 17. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                          dkitsov Level 2

Also, one thing troubles me still. In your original post you say that your footage was recorded 1080 30p. So I am somewhat bothered that it is being recognized as 1080 25p

• 18. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                            milanpeyrac Level 1

for some reason I thought it said 30fps when i went to information on the gopro file, however it doesn't. What it does say though that the codec used is 1920x1080P H.264.

I will try quicktime now and report back! THanks

• 19. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                              milanpeyrac Level 1

Ok so I just tested exporting with the settings match sequence settings

Format - MPEG Preview

Video Codec - MPEG I-FRAME

Quality - 50

1920x1080P25

Works fine.

If I take off the "match sequence settings" I cant find the option of 'MPEG Preview'... This is what the file was imported as via dragging the footage on as per your first instructions.

Do you know how to make it, quality 100?

If I go to the properties of the file it says its a mpeg2 video dimesion 1920x1080.

This all works fine with no lag...

• 20. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                                dkitsov Level 2

Ok, so now we know that what we were dealing with trully was a user error and I am sure that the part of it is you being new to PPro. The other part of it is general annoyance that one has to deal with, whenever complex output pipelines are involved. When you are using a professional application suh as PPro you are alowed a lot of flexibility. Unfortunately with this flexibility the possibility of error rockets skyhigh. This complexity is in no way helped by the fact that the output is handled by codecs from many different vendors all of which have different UIs and different ways they talk to the host app. QuickTime is terrible in this aspect as well. So you have to be very methodical.

Now that we know that there is really no bug with PPro concerning your issue, you may go ahead and chose any one of the codecs for output that are available and suitable. PPro even gives you presets. For example you can chose a Youtube preset as an option for H264 export. But you have to pay attention to the settings as it is very often so that even if you have correct settings in your Media Export window the framerate and the image dimensions might be different inside a codec settings that are accessible for some of them via the codec settings button, like in the picture below. You can see that even though settings are all matching inside the media export dialog they are not the same in the codec setting pop-upmedia export2.JPG

At any rate look at the summary field and see that those settings match. Including both of them having the same field order (ie none as it is progressive footage in my example. Like below:

media export.JPG

Anyway, as I said there are many things to go wrong. I feel that a lot of Operation Manual reading is in your future, meanwhile it will be better, perhaps, if you use iMovie which is pretty good for simple editing - the kind you seem to be doing - without to steep of a learning curve. I use it myself for some quick edits on the go.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

• 21. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                                  milanpeyrac Level 1

Thank you so much for your clear and concise response.

1 thing though. The actual goPro footage says it natively uses H.264 as the video codec under properties in MAC. However when I drag it to new item in PPro it shows it as a MPEG2 codec.. Is this a mistake in either MAC OS or PPro.

Thank you for all your help and in the end its working as MPEG2 so ill use that codec for this film.

Thank you again,

Milan

• 22. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                                    dkitsov Level 2

Does it really? Or does it say MPEG i-frame only as a video preview? Or are you talking about a rendered clip? Because if you output with a checkmark that says use sequence settings with Mpeg i-frame only it will do MPEG2.

h264 is an mpeg4, hence the mp4 extension of the original file. MPEG i frame only is probably what Ppro uses as an intermediate codec for certain file formats.

I would not use sequence settings as an output and would just output to mp4, as it is more efficient and will be a smaller file size for the same quality (I found 20Mbps be more than enough even for clips with a lot of motion, and even lower for regular clips as far as the final output is concerned). Smaller size clips = less time to upload to the utubes or vimeos.

1 person found this helpful
                                                    • 23. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                                      milanpeyrac Level 1

MPEG I-frame is used when I select "Match sequence settings".

when you say don't use mpeg i-frame and output to mp4. I assume that means using h.264 as the codec (*.mp4 extension)?

When I use this setting - the movie is laggy like beofore, however matching the sequence settings which include

Format: mpeg preview

Video Codec: MPEG I-Frame

Quality: 50

Frame Rate: 25

Size: 1920x1080

This is works fine.

The output file extension in this case is .mpeg

• 24. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                                        dkitsov Level 2

Alright. Cool. I am still puzzled about what might cause the choppiness at this point. I wonder that at the datarate you would encode the mp4 (32Mbps, 40 max) it might be just too much data for your hard drive to handle. As a test I have repeated your workflow (though with a 29.97fps footage) and it plays fine on my MacBook Pro 2009 Quad Duo. I do have a fater HDD though (7200rpm as opposed to the 5400 that come stock).

1 person found this helpful
                                                        • 25. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                                          milanpeyrac Level 1

I have a 500gb XT which 7200 RPM drive.

So I have now resolved the problem thanks to your help. I am able to output to MP4 H.264 1080P 25FPS.

What I did was drop the bit rate down from 32 - 40 max to 20 - 25 max. As soon as I did this its all working fine. No jittering or lag on the film what so ever.. This is a H.264 MP4 file now. WOOHOO!!!!

The original files was 15mbps rate if I look at the properties.

My question now is - What happens if you use a higher bitrate than what actually the footage is recorded in, and can you do this?

• 26. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                                            dkitsov Level 2

Hmm. Still perplexing to me that you would have a playback lag. How many apps are running in the background? Bizarre.

There is really no pointr to output higher bitrate than originally recorded (unless you add a vudeo effect that increases the visual compexity of the footage like Add Grain).

PS. go ahead and give me a golden star

• 27. Re: Problems with creating a 1080p video - Choppy
                                                              milanpeyrac Level 1

I don't have anything else open and I have 8gb of ram... About 5GB free at the time of playing.

My VLC player does go to about 110% usage with the 32mbps one. however I thought it might have something to do with the way the video is captured in the first place and it not liking me bumping the rate.

Glad its all working now though.

Yes you get golden stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again.

PS. I tried playing that 32mbps one on many different computers including some work machines and all lag at exactly the same spots...