3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2011 10:54 AM by spblr

Transparency worked...and now it doesn't following the same instructions

spblr

Hi everyone,

My goal is to take a simple animated movie with a single character on a green screen (using the Xtranormal site, actually), make the green screen transparent, and export as a SWF file.

The method I'm using is as follows:

1. Chroma-key the movie using this tutorial: http://www.ehow.com/how_2101323_use-chromakey-adobe-after-effects.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_2101323_use-chromakey-adobe-after-effects.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_2101323_use-chromakey-adobe-after-effects.html2. Render the movie using these instructions: "Go to Composition>Add To Render Queue. Go to the Render QUeue, beside output module, click the dropdown and choose FLV with Alpha (this is CS5). Once you do that, click the FLV with Alpha link, and make sure that in the Video output section, it says On2VP6 under Format Options. Click OK. Then Click Render."

3. Export the movie as a SWF file.

I follow these instructions and the background exports as green instead of transparent (even thought it looks fine while still in After Effects).  The kicker is that I have used these instructions successfully five or six times before, out of nowhere, the transparency stops working.  I admit I am extremely new to After Effects, so my first thought was to restore all of After Effects settings to the default, in case I accidentily clicked something or changed something, since the first handful of successful runs.  I did this using the Ctrl+Alt+Shift on start-up method and it seemed to work.  Didn't fix the transparency issue though.

Anything I'm missing?  Anything I should make sure I'm doing?  I'm at a total loss!  Thank you!!!

• 1. Re: Transparency worked...and now it doesn't following the same instructions
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

But do you actually enable transparency blending by setting the proper flags/ Flashvars when embedding the SWF in the page? By default, all such stuff is treated as opaque and just drag&dropping it in the browser would not necessarily give a correct rendiution of the final result. Only opening the associated HTML would/ should do that. If that's not the problem, I would assume that due to some update either in Flash player or the FLV encoding compoinents something has changed and you may just sift through the options and re-enable something. The clip being green would indicate that the transparency is actually there, it's just not being used/ displayed....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Transparency worked...and now it doesn't following the same instructions
            spblr Level 1

Thanks for your quick response but I'm actually pulling the SWF file into a PowerPoint using a program called Articulate (which is a program that kind of imbeds itself within PPT).  The SWF files I have done previously all worked correctly in PPT but now they are not.  There might have been an update between yesterday and today...although I wouldn't know the first thing about what options mean what.

• 3. Re: Transparency worked...and now it doesn't following the same instructions
              spblr Level 1

In case anybody has a similar issue in the future this is how I solved it...I updated my computer's Flash Player!  That's it, the process works completely fine now.  Can't believe the solution was so simple.