4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2011 8:28 AM by cfg_2451

recovery from dynamic link problem

cfg_2451 Level 2

I've got a copy of Production Premium CS5. I've been climbing the learning curves, but it's huge so I'm still a newbie in many ways, some programs more than others. So please be patient with me.

I've got an existing project in PPro. It's dynamically linked to Encore and I've made some release candidate DVDs. Client decided to replace static lower thirds with motion graphics, along with some other edits.

I believe (it's been a week or so now and my memory isn't the best) that I opened the project in PPro, then did a "File ... Adobe Dynamic Link ... New After Effects Composition", but when AE opened, it was empty. So I imported the PPro project. Added my graphics, did some minor color grading, etc. Part of the work involved some editing in PPro, and when I did those edits I'd see it immediately in AE, so I assumed (darn it) that everything was working fine.

Yesterday I go to PPro for final review before using Encore to make another release candidate DVD, and in PPro I don't see the AE changes. So... dynamic link is a one way street for some reason.

So here's my question. How do I pull those AE changes into the PPro project? I need to do that so that I don't have to redo all that Encore work.

Ah, one last data point. I don't know why (probably not used to working with dynamic link) but I saved the AE project and gave it a separate name. So I have, for example, a.prproj, and b.aep. The more I think about it, the more I think this has something to do with my problem. But... how do I recover?

• 1. Re: recovery from dynamic link problem
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can simply import an AE composition as a footage item by clicking on the saved AE project and then picking out a comp - just like you do it in Encore. However, the caveat here is that this indeed does not work in a 3-fold scenario - you can import AE stuff into Premiere and yes, you can import Premiere into Encore, but not do AE --> Premiere --> Encore. Dynamic Link more or less recognized this loop and thus gave you empty comps to prevent it. So at this point pretty much your only option is to render your AE stuff to conventioan lmovie clips with Alpah channels/ transparency and overlay them in Premiere the old-fashioned way, then again use DL to move to Encore. The only other reason why AE stuff would show up is if it isn't saved in teh same relative position as the Premiere project and thuis items are missing, but as per your description I think it#s realyl more the first scenario that gets you....

Mylenium

• 2. Re: recovery from dynamic link problem
            cfg_2451 Level 2

"So at this point pretty much your only option is to render your AE stuff  to conventioan lmovie clips with Alpah channels/ transparency and  overlay them in Premiere the old-fashioned way"

You lost me. How would I overlay the AE project in PPro? What's the old-fashioned way? I haven't been working in Production Premium long enough to have an old-fashioned anything! ;-)

This is a one hour long "clip" that's of a class taught in front of a live audience. It's not something that I can edit into a timeline. It *is* the timeline. I took the timeline from PPro, add color correction layers to the entire thing, then pre-comp animation layers (motion graphic lower thirds) where they are needed. No separate new clips created, so I'm not sure what I'd be importing into PPro.

• 3. Re: recovery from dynamic link problem
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

So make a looping animated lower-third, render it out with an alpha channel, and import it into premiere.  Done.

• 4. Re: recovery from dynamic link problem
                cfg_2451 Level 2

Looks like I stumped the group.

From what I can tell, it turns out this is a feature, not a bug. Dynamic links are one way streets. I don't see my AE changes in PPro, because that's the way Adobe designed it. Not nearly as useful as I'd hoped. Oh well.