16 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 9:52 AM by JEShort01

Drive speed testing software recommendations?

AdamJRead

I'm still scratching my head deciding whether my external Raid 0 is 'up to scratch' for editing in PP5.5

Can anyone recommend:

1. The disk testing software they are using

2. The parameters they're testing (i.e. Just 'read' or 'copy'?)

3. The results/figures they're achieving.

Thanks in advance.

ADAM
      InterMedia

• 1. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Atto or HDTach come to mind.

Depending on your setup, you may see results like:

HD Tach D1.jpg

for a 2 disk raid0, or

HD Tach E.jpg

for 12 disk raid30.

HDTach is considered a bit more up-to-date than Atto.

• 2. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
            AdamJRead Level 1

Thanks Harm

Well I've used HDTach, and it appears my results are not good.

Untitled-1.jpg

I wonder why?

The set up I have tested is a 2 x 1TB external array connected to a PCI raid card via a SATA lead.

Can you shed any light on what I may have done wrong?  I now have the opportunity to reformat things prior to starting some new projects, and I'm keen to get the set up right.

Many Thanks

ADAM

• 3. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

What raid card? And over a single SATA cable or over a breakout cable with only 2 connections used?

I agree your results are disappointing for a 2 disk raid 0. One would expect a speed approaching 2 x a single disk.

• 4. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
                TyRip

I don't have an answer, but I am interested to know what is going on with your setup too.

I have been debating on whether I need RAID, but I think I will be just fine for a while with as much as I edit. Plus I have 2 new WD Black 1TB drives that bench at an overall average of 110MB/s and start out at 140MB/s in single mode.

• 5. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
                  AdamJRead Level 1

Thanks Harm

I will probably need to open up the PC tomorrow and physically check the card type as I cannot find the box nor purchase receipt & there does not appear to be any 'diagnostic' software out there to scan my PCI slots and report back.  However, I am fairly certain it is a generic/low cost card, perhaps costing around £50uk.

The array is connected from this card via a single cable to an external enclosure with 2 x 1TB drives in it.

Below is what my storage manager says:

Untitled-2.jpg

I'm clearly doing something wrong.

Here's an overview of my set up

Untitled-3.jpg

Thanks

ADAM

• 6. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Is there any specific reason you made a dynamic disk instead of a basic disc? I have all my discs as basic and never as dynamic. It carries an overhead, reducing perfomance.

• 7. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
                      RDA972 Level 3

The disk testing software I use is from Blackmagic. Take it for a lttle spin and see what results it yields.

Capture.JPG

• 8. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
                        AdamJRead Level 1

Harm

In truth I didn't give that issue much thought.  However, I will reformat that drive to a basic partition when I reformat later on this morning.  Do you think that will likely solve the problem?

Thanks

ADAM

• 9. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
                          AdamJRead Level 1

If I revert the two disks in my external raid to basic, will it then allow me to create a Raid 0?  I had thought this was only possible if the disks were dynamic?

Thanks

ADAM

• 10. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
                            AdamJRead Level 1

Harm

Picking up on a completely different thread you're having with another forum user....

---------------------

I would suggest a proper internal raid controller with a multi-lane 8088 connection to connect to up to 4 external SATA disks or even easier, with a 8087 multi-lane connector to connect to up 4 internal SATA disks.

----------------------

I notice that I have SATA ports on my MB.  Is this one and the same as an 'internal raid controller'?

If I want to retain the flexibility of external storage, how do these breakout cables work?  I'm a little confused about the connectivity.

Thanks

ADAM

• 11. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Adam,

On-board raid arrays are software raids, which are best setup in the BIOS. Windows managed software raids carry a lot of overhead, reducing performance. The alternative is hardware raids, which require a dedicated controller card, which are often very costly, especially if you only have a small number of disks to put in the array. But they do perform much better. As you can see my large array has an average sequential transfer rate of more than 850 MB/s with older generation HDD's and an old generation raid controller. With the current crop of HDD's and the latest generation controller, it should not be difficult to achieve figures around or above 1000 MB/s.

For some background on raids, look at Adobe Forums: To RAID or not to RAID, that is the...

For info on the SFF-8087 and SFF-8088 look here: (have to look up the link, will post it here)

OK, found it: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3726423?tstart=0#3726423

• 12. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
                                AdamJRead Level 1

Thanks for all your help so far Harm.

OK, I have now put 3 x 1TB drives inside the workstation, and have converted the disks to basic.

Picking up on your earlier comment about 'setting up raid in Bios'.  I'm wondering if you can shed some light on how to do this?

On reboot, I have the option of pressing 'delete' to enter setup, which presents an array of options, but nothing that seems to specifically address setting up raid.  MB is an MSI P55M.  I have googled to no avail.

Hoping you can shed some light.

Thanks!

ADAM

• 13. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
                                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

AdamJRead wrote:

If I revert the two disks in my external raid to basic, will it then allow me to create a Raid 0?  I had thought this was only possible if the disks were dynamic?

Thanks

ADAM

Adam it sounds to me like you are making your RAID in Microsoft Windows with software.  That will never give you any decent performance.  What motherboard do you have?  If I had only read the last posting ...

MSI P55M-GD41has 6 SATA ports and you can have RAID 0 (plus others but do not bother with them) according to the spec sheet.  Dig our your manual and it should show you how to make under disks there should be an option for RAID but be careful as if you change this option you may have to reload everything.  An internal RAID controller would avoid that issue.  Having no experience with MSI I cannot help with BIOS details.

Here is the later generation controller write and read performance capability.  This is 8 each 15,000 rpm SAS disk drives in RAID 0

HD-Tune-SAS-8-x-147-GB-R0-3-Write.jpg

08-June-2011_21-21.png

Go to page C3 of your manual

BIOS Configuration The Intel Matrix Storage Manager Option ROM should be integrated with the system BIOS on all motherboards with a supported Intel chipset. The Intel Matrix Stroage Manager Option ROM is the Intel RAID implementation and provides BIOS and DOS disk services. Please use <CTRL> + <I> keys to enter the “Intel® RAID for Serial ATA” status screen, which should appear early in system boot-up, during the POST (Power-On Self Test). Also, you need to enable the RAID function in BIOS to create, delete and reset RAID volumes. Using the Intel Matrix Stroage Manager Option ROM Creating, Deleting and Resetting RAID Volumes: The Serial ATA RAID volume may be configured using the RAID Configuration utility stored within the Intel RAID Option ROM. During the Power-On Self Test (POST), the following message will appear for a few seconds:

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 14. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
                                    AdamJRead Level 1

Thanks Bill

I had tried the ctrl I on boot up, but no luck.  I only seem to be able to access the Bios via the delete key.

For now I have (as you know) formatted using Windows software Raid, and am achieving around 300mb/s for my 3 drives which seems OK.

Once I have this project out of the way, I will need to dig deeper and understand why I seem unable to access the Raid set up.

Thanks

ADAM

• 15. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
                                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The 300 MB/s read is good but I would imagine that the write performance is not great.  Normally to really check write performance you have to have unformatted disk drives but Atto can be used with formatted (and with data on them) disk drives to give a rough indication of write performance.

Here is part of page 3-11 from your manual.  I would guess that if you look at your setup in the "RAID Mode" category you would see "IDE" as this shows.  The manual information here is lousy.  It does not show the other options, you probably have options under this heading of ACHI and RAID.  And unless you selected RAID before you loaded windows it is very difficult to change this mode without reloading your OS.

MSI-RAID.jpg

• 16. Re: Drive speed testing software recommendations?
                                        JEShort01 Level 4

Adam, Bill,

I think you should be able to change to RAID after the OS has been loaded, but this may best be done using Intel's Utility.

From memory, and it has been over a year since I have done this, you will want to use Intel's Matrix Storage Manager run from within Windows. You will loose any data on your RAID, so back up first, but your boot drive should be OK, even if the Intel utility changes it from IDE to ACHI. Note too that this may be a one way street; Intel's utility can change a working OS using IDE to ACHI, but I don't think that it can go the other way.

Look for the appropriate Intel utility from your motherboard manufacturer's site for your board, so you are sure of getting the correct one.

Jim