8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2011 6:43 AM by ~graffiti

Acrobat 7 editable form

NikParsons

I'm trying to get the size of a pdf down, the person that needs to use it says they have acrobat 7.0.8 for the PC.

I have produced the form in acrobat 9 pro on the mac adding editable boxes.

I used PDF optimiser to downsample the images and unembeded arial and verdana and made it compatible with acrobat 5.0 and later (when I tried version 7 and under and 6 and under they had error messges) then went to 'extend features in adobe reader so it could be edited and saved.

The file made was 430mb but I need it smaller, can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Acrobat 7 editable form
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You'll want to ask in the Acrobat forum for starters.

Also, the form save function will not work in Version 7.0.8 of Reader. I believe it has to be 7.5 or possibly 8.

• 2. Re: Acrobat 7 editable form

Sorry. Noticed you mentioned they have Acrobat 7.0.8, not Reader. The end users will need a higher version of Reader though.

Also, you will probably be in violation of your user license if you enable a form for someone else. I'd definitely look in to that first.

• 3. Re: Acrobat 7 editable form
              NikParsons Level 1

I'm sorry I'm confused I have produced a form that someone needs to fill in and send back. The end user is on Acrobat 7 but has an error message every time they try to send it. Why would it violate my user license?

• 4. Re: Acrobat 7 editable form

I thought you were enabling a form for someone that only had Acrobat 7 (and couldn't do that themselves) and wanted to send the form to other people. That would be the violation.

If they have Acrobat, you do not need to enable the forms.

I'm not sure how they are trying to "send" the form but they simply need to fill it out, save it then email it back to you unless I'm missing something here. Are you saying that that process doesn't work or something else?

Also, what exactly is the error message (there are many to choose from)?

• 5. Re: Acrobat 7 editable form
                  NikParsons Level 1

They have acrobat but its only reader 7. They can't upgrade at this moment in time.

The form works fine here on a test pc with acrobat 7.

But they had an error saying 'There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired.' when I saved it for version 7 and above (this happened twice so it can't be the file corrupting).

But when I saved it as version 5 they could read it, fill the form in and save it but the file size was getting too big.

I noticed the further back the version you saved, the larger the pdf was.

Is there another way of making it smaller?

• 6. Re: Acrobat 7 editable form

Before we go any farther, let's clarify whether they have Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader and let's be sure of the version. There is no Acrobat Reader. They have one or the other and it makes a big difference.

Like I said earlier, they need a newer version of Adobe Reader to deal with enabled files. Enabling PDF files they way they are through Acrobat didn't even exist until version 8.

Also, if everyone is using Acrobat (again, not Reader) then you'll want to head over to the Acrobat forum.

• 7. Re: Acrobat 7 editable form
                      NikParsons Level 1

I have been told they are definitely using Reader 7.0.8.

I have used the full version of Acrobat 9 Pro to produce it. I had no problems creating it and used extend features so they can type in and use drop down menus.

• 8. Re: Acrobat 7 editable form

Tell them to update to a newer version of Adobe Reader. 7 is too old.