10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 6:39 AM by Sudhir T S

Flash Builder + Flex 4.5 + unit tests = Unknown error generating output application.xml files

Brian Vaughn

I have been running into a problem with Flash Builder when it comes to executing my unit tests for Flex 4.5 applications. Almost every time I try to launch the unit tests, Flash Builder errors with the following message:

Unknown error generating output application.xml files. Check the Eclipse error log for more details.

Looking at FlexUnitApplication-app.xml reveals the following (stripped unreleated bits to make the issue more apparent):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
      <application xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/air/application/2.6">
           <initialWindow>
                <!-- The main SWF or HTML file of the application. Required. -->
                <!-- Note: In Flash Builder, the SWF reference is set automatically. -->
                <content>[This value will be overwritten by Flash Builder in the output app.xml]</content>

The square brackets in the <content> node seem to cause Flash Builder (or one of the executables it calls out to) difficulty when parsing the XML. Manually editing the XML to remove the square brackets and then re-launching often works (though sometimes I have to repeat this loop once or twice before it does work).

Any idea what's causing this?