8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2011 9:35 AM by Grant H

Interactive PDF not working- .ai is the problem

dparker111111

I am on a mac, running cs5, creating a 1 page (non-facing page) interactive PDF from INDD. Every time I run the interactive PDF (to create interactive form), open it in Acrobat, it says "No new form field annotations were detected". I go back to my INDD, remove one specific placed .ai file, run it again, it works fine. So I assume the vector file is the problem.

The problem placed file is a CS5 .ai file, CMYK, placed into the document. I've tried creating a new .ai file, pasting the line drawing, replacing the box on the indd with the new image, nothing. I've tried outlining all fonts on the ai file, nothing. I've tried making the ai file RGB, nothing. I've checked for stray points on the ai, nothing.

I have found that I cannot place more than 2 or 3 .ai's in the same page, or it doesn't work either, but in this case, there is only one placed ai file.

ANY suggestions? I am finding TONS of quirks with this process (boxes can't touch, multiple placed ai files cause it to stop running, etc). I've found several online tutorials of "best practices" and followed each on to the letter, and this still isn't solving my problem.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Interactive PDF not working- .ai is the problem
          dparker111111 Level 1

I am bumping this back up, b/c SOMEONE has got to have an answer for this! Please help- this can potentially affect 900 individual documents causing a LOT of headaches for my design group.

• 2. Re: Interactive PDF not working- .ai is the problem
            John Hawkinson Level 5

There are a lot of different ways that Illustrator can save files, and a lot of different choices in the just even the .ai format saving dialog. Have you experimented? Do you see the same problem if you save as Adobe PDF?

• 3. Re: Interactive PDF not working- .ai is the problem
              dparker111111 Level 1

I have done "Save As" in illustrator with the following:

Version Illustrator CS5

Fonts = 100%

Create PDF comatible File checked

Embed ICC Profiles checked

Use Compression checked

I was under the impression I shouldn't use PDF placements, as you suggested (saving the ai file as PDF). I have also tried unchecking Embed ICC Profiles, and that didn't make a difference.

I DID however try a test, and opened the ai file in PS, saved as a tif and it works fine- this would be an "ok" solution, but it now means any time I have this issue, I have to create yet another version of this ai file for placement. I just can't seem to find any rhyme or reason to why select file just don't work.

I'm testing as many things as I can think of, but nothing seems to solve this baffling mystery. I'm open to all suggestions!

• 4. Re: Interactive PDF not working- .ai is the problem
                John Hawkinson Level 5

I was under the impression I shouldn't use PDF placements, as you

Why? PDF is a great format to use.

I DID however try a test, and opened the ai file in PS, saved as a

tif and it works fine- this would be an "ok" solution, but it now

No, that's an absolutely horrible workflow and solution. That converts

a vector format to a raster format, losing information and resolution

independence and future editability. At all costs avoid this!

means any time I have this issue, I have to create yet another

version of this ai file for placement.

Also true of PDFs, that is the downside. Think of this as a debugging

exercise, you are trying to find the problem. So try a bunch of things

you would not tolerate in a normal workflow to see if they

give you indicators or ideas about where the real problem lies.

PDF files and AI files are quite similar, so one may inform the other.

• 5. Re: Interactive PDF not working- .ai is the problem
                  Grant H Level 4

Yep: I HATE using the ID/PDF/Form workflow...  The one time PC is better 'cause you get LiveCyce to create forms... (not sure why not for mac... any way) wont help you now but check it out for next time...

G

• 6. Re: Interactive PDF not working- .ai is the problem
                    dparker111111 Level 1

John-

I normally wouldn't mind a debugging exercise however when there is no reason one works, one doesn't, and it's affecting our production schedule, it's beyond frustrating. I'm thinking there MUST be SOMETHING I am missing or doing wrong, but I created these files the same as I have on all of the others in the past.

• 7. Re: Interactive PDF not working- .ai is the problem
                      Grant H Level 4
                      there MUST be SOMETHING I am missing or doing wrong

Nope i dont think so, unless you want a "boring" form layout!!!  PDF form NOT great... soooo many limitations on design!!! (you prob have more graphics fills and so on)

G

• 8. Re: Interactive PDF not working- .ai is the problem
                        Grant H Level 4

Check out the inDesigner.... (Michael Murphy)  www.theindesigner.... he had a GREAT tut on designing for forms video tutorial... may have the answer for you...

G