1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 7, 2011 3:03 PM by Dave LaRonde

Trouble converting 720p 60fps DSLR video to 24 fps slow motion

msp1518 Level 1

Hi gang, so far I have found at least four methods to do this, not to mention many more that are variations on those methods. But I am not getting smooth playback. Clearly I am not doing this right.

When I try to use After Effects I run into some major trouble. Right now I am using this video as a guide...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdPDRMj-jco

I cannot figure out how to save it and be finished. So I do what he instructs and interpret footage to 23.976. I go ahead and render, cool, it seems to work. But then what?

What type/format should I finish with? Should I make it an AVI so it is not recompressed? Or keep it as H.264 since that is what DSLR footage is? I cannot find any of these answers anywhere and his video does not go into details.

Saving as an AVI gives me a file 4GB in size. Ouch. The pre-converted clip was 101mb. Choosing H.264 results in a file only about 20mb in size, so way too small (and clearly artifacted).

I'm sorry for sounding like a complete newbie, but I have researched and tried this on my own. I have no choice but to ask for help.

Oh yes... My final product will be 1080p24. My DSLR shot short is all 1080p24. Other than a few slow motion clips. So when the 720p60 footage is converted to 24fps, I will somehow have to get that footage converted to 1080p so that it matches the resolution of the rest of the footage. No idea how to do that.

Unles PremierePro will just treat it as 1080p and upconvert it since the project is 1080p???

• 1. Re: Trouble converting 720p 60fps DSLR video to 24 fps slow motion
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

msp1518 wrote:

What type/format should I finish with? Should I make it an AVI so it is not recompressed? Or keep it as H.264 since that is what DSLR footage is? ...Saving as an AVI gives me a file 4GB in size. Ouch. The pre-converted clip was 101mb.

Hey, when you work in AE you get used to big file sizes.  One thing you do NOT want to do is go to h.264, a notoriously lossy codec.  If you're on a windows box, I'm no help on a good render codec.  I'm a Mac guy, and I use quicktime for everything I can.  When I can't I use PNG image sequences and use the editor or something else to convert to a good editing codec.

msp1518 wrote:

Oh yes... My final product will be 1080p24. My DSLR shot short is all 1080p24. Other than a few slow motion clips. So when the 720p60 footage is converted to 24fps, I will somehow have to get that footage converted to 1080p so that it matches the resolution of the rest of the footage. No idea how to do that.

Put the conformed footage in a 23.976 1920x1080 comp, then scale it to fit the comp.  It may go a little soft on you.  If that's a problem, you can try out Instant HD from Red Giant software...

...or you can do the entire project at 720.  And check this out:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.html