12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2011 1:22 PM by Dave LaRonde

AE CS5 only see black when playing a rendered mov file in QT

studiobrain Level 1

AE CS5 Mac 10.6:  After rendering a movie as Render:Best Settings / Output:Lossless I get an mov file (quite large, 193MB) - awesome thats what needs to happen.  Now upon viewing that mov file within QT, I get the timer (8 seconds) and the playhead scrolls those 8 seconds, yet I see nothing - only darkness and utter black.  Now on the flip:  when I render this same file as Best Settings / H.264 and play the mp4 wha lah you get a smooth playing video.  Downside, this file needs to be uncompressed and at the highest quality and playable in QT (a mov).  Is the file too large for my machine to handle playing?  Is this another QT vs AE bug?  Anyone please, input is as alway greatly appreciated.  Oh, 1 more piece of the puzzle: Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC Widesceen (1.21).  This is a file to be played on an LED arena ribbon...

Thanks

• 1. Re: AE CS5 only see black when playing a rendered mov file in QT
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What happens when you import the file back into After Effects or into another media player? Do you only see black then? (The point is to determine whether the problem is with the movie or with QuickTime Player.)

> Downside, this file needs to be uncompressed and at the highest quality and playable in QT (a mov).

That seems very strange. Uncompressed movies are not for playback. They're for intermediate transfer between post-production applications, archiving, etc.

Are you sure that the people who are going to be playing this back want an uncompressed file? Are those the specs that they gave you?

> Pixel Aspect Ratio: D1/DV NTSC Widesceen (1.21).  This is a file to be played on an LED arena ribbon...

Really? I can't imagine why an LED screen would have non-square pixels.

• 2. Re: AE CS5 only see black when playing a rendered mov file in QT
            studiobrain Level 1

Hey, Thanks for the feedback.

They said uncompressed but I realize that seems quite strange.  They asked for Quicktime Animation or DVCPRO at D1 Widescreen (1.2 px aspect ratio).  They also ask for an uncompressed .avi file.  Hmmm...

When I add the mov file back into AE and place it on another layer it plays fine.  (does this indicate a QT issue?)

What would you recommend as the best output?  Im new to the output as movies as Im a web guy who usually uses AE in conjunction with Flash...

Thanks Again

• 3. Re: AE CS5 only see black when playing a rendered mov file in QT
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

cubical38 wrote:

They asked for Quicktime Animation or DVCPRO at D1 Widescreen (1.2 px aspect ratio).  They also ask for an uncompressed .avi file.  Hmmm...

Then that's what you give them.  I'd go with Animation, personally: it's lossless.

When I add the mov file back into AE and place it on another layer it plays fine.  (does this indicate a QT issue?)

Relax.  If you can do a RAM Preview in AE on the footage and it looks good, you're fine.  You just don't have drives that are fast enough to keep up with the high bitrate of a lossless codec when you use a viewer.

• 4. Re: AE CS5 only see black when playing a rendered mov file in QT
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

How big is this movie, anyway? I mean in pixel dimensions. QuickTime Player has conniptions with really big (wide or tall) movies.

I agree with Dave that you should give them what they asked for. That's one of the first rules of this business.

But you should really probe them about why they want uncompressed files for playback... especially if they said uncompressed or DVCPRO, because that really makes it seem like they don't know what they want or why. I could be wrong and they've got great reasons, but it smells funny.

BTW, there's a guy on the Creative COW forum, Walter Soyka, who I think does a lot of output for arena LEDs. You might want to pop over there and see what he has to say.

http://forums.creativecow.net/adobeaftereffects

• 5. Re: AE CS5 only see black when playing a rendered mov file in QT
                  studiobrain Level 1

The display and composition is 9792px w X 36px H.  I have posted here a link to the .mov.  The client this is being done for says he is unable to view it in QT or VLC.  Are you able to play it back?

http://ge.tt/91mNbu4

• 6. Re: AE CS5 only see black when playing a rendered mov file in QT
                    studiobrain Level 1

On another note, when savin as an mp4 (H.264) it plays back fine (in QT).  Very compressed but fine, so I am not seeing the px deminsions as the issue.  Is there a codec missing from my AE?

• 7. Re: AE CS5 only see black when playing a rendered mov file in QT
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I just played your QuickTime movie fine in QuickTime Player and in After Effects. Here are some screenshots of it playing in QuickTime Player:

fit.PNG

normal.PNG

This isn't working for you?

• 8. Re: AE CS5 only see black when playing a rendered mov file in QT
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

>  Is there a codec missing from my AE?

That wouldn't cause the file to play fine in some places and not elsewhere.

This is a gigantic file in terms of horizontal pixel dimensions, and the data rate is quite large, too (nearly 200MB for only 8 seconds). I suspect some combination of QuickTime Player and the computer on which you're trying to play it (e.g., slow hard disks).

Does it really matter whether this can play in QuickTime Player? We've seen that it plays in post-production software. Has the client tried playing it in the way that it will actually be played/used---i.e., on the LED screen at the arena?

And, again, are you and they really sure that this huge losslessly compressed format is what is required? As I said before, this is very much not the kind of format that is intended for playback and distribution. Uncompressed files and files compressed with Animation are intended for purposes like use as intermediate files in post-production, not playback.

• 9. Re: AE CS5 only see black when playing a rendered mov file in QT
                          studiobrain Level 1

Okay so here is the issue.  QT version released with Snow Leopard = fail, QT the previous version = pass.  Very strange...  When speaking with the client he adimately stated that the file was too "small" and that he usually gets files over a G...  I agree with you and have never used a file of that size for anything being viewed (all full-length movie production aside).  I will pass on to hime what he asks for simply because it is what he asked for.  Thanks for all the help and if the issue weather it QT Apple or a combination of all please share...

Thanks Again

• 10. Re: AE CS5 only see black when playing a rendered mov file in QT
                            alfo77777

I had the same problem myself - and the main problem was

1. Quicktime on 10.6 is crap
                            2. I figured out that each frame was around a megabyte each, and even Mac Quicktime (unless working with a high-end graphics card, large RAM and a big processor) just can't handle these things.

It was the same for me on Windows with QT Pro.

Hope this vaguely helped

• 11. Try opening the After Effects movie in Quicktime 7
                              cupomedia

I have the same problem of the black screen export. The exported files do open and play in Quicktime 7.

• 12. Re: Try opening the After Effects movie in Quicktime 7
                                Dave LaRonde Level 6

cupomedia wrote:

I have the same problem of the black screen export. The exported files do open and play in Quicktime 7.

I'm sorry to hear that, but unless your system and software is identical to that of the original poster's, it's impossible to say what your specific problem might be. 

But I have to ask you: if you can see it in QT 7, what's the problem?  The most charitable description one can give of QT X is that it's a work in progress, and shouldn't be relied upon.