15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2011 8:32 AM by luvsfotos

DVD Burn Frustration

KB97034

Granted I don't use PRe very often but no program frustrates me more than this one.

I believe I have finished what I want my 15 minute project to look like.  It contains lots of stills, some video and of course music.  I thought I followed the directions correctly for burning a DVD but apparently I have missed something.  I've tried burning directly to DVD and also to a folder and then to DVD but I get the same results, the disc contains only folders labeled "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS".  There is nothing inside the AUDIO_TS folder and the VIDEO_TS folder contains 5 files:  VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_01_0.BUP, VTS_01_0.IFO and VTS_01_0.VOB.  The VOB file contains 760 mb while the others 20 kb or less.

I know this same issue has probably been address a million times so sorry for the repeat.  I'm using a 3-year old 2.4 ghtz Macbook with 4 mb of ram if that is relevant.  I just want a project I can play on the computer and a DVD player. I have an elementary school end of the video I have to show to 200 people next Tuesday and this is stressing me out.  Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

• 1. Re: DVD Burn Frustration
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Most likely your issue is your source files.

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer? Have you ensured that your project is set up for that video source? If so, there will NOT be a red line above the video clips when you add them to your timeline. Is that the case?

As for photos, have you followed our advice and ensured that all photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size?

How much free space is on your hard drive? Are you editing to this drive or to a second hard drive?

• 2. Re: DVD Burn Frustration
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

folder and then to DVD but I get the same results, the disc contains only folders labeled "AUDIO_TS" and "VIDEO_TS".  There is nothing inside the AUDIO_TS folder and the VIDEO_TS folder contains 5 files:  VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, VTS_01_0.BUP, VTS_01_0.IFO and VTS_01_0.VOB.  The VOB file contains 760 mb while the others 20 kb or less.

What is the problem?

An empty AUDIO_TS is actually expected

The files you describe in VIDEO_TS look correct to me (compare to a commercial DVD)

What happens when you put the disc in a player?

• 3. Re: DVD Burn Frustration
              KB97034 Level 1

The video came from a standard definition Canon digital camcorder that is about 1.5 years old.  I captured the video directly into the project.  Unfortunately I don't remember if there was redline above the video when I placed in the project.  However, I just experimented with placing a video clip in the project and NO red line was there.  Also, I know for a fact that many of the photos have a higher resolution than what you are recommending (3000 x 2000) so I assume that is not a good thing.  Is there in photoshop to resize these photos as a group instead of doing so individually?

Regarding the hard drive, I am using the laptops hard drive and after all my messing around I am down to 38 gb.  I can free up space if necessary though.

I know I should have bought the book but unfortunately I didn' t see your site until just recently.  I really appreciate the help you provide to me and others.

• 4. Re: DVD Burn Frustration
                KB97034 Level 1

Nothing happens when I put it in a DVD player.  I tried it on my laptop as well as a desktop

PC but all I can do is open these folders.  I have not tried on an actual DVD player but I'm sure if that matters.

• 5. Re: DVD Burn Frustration
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

What brand of blank DVD media did you burn to?

That can make a big difference.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: DVD Burn Frustration
                    KB97034 Level 1

TDK.  What would you use?

• 7. Re: DVD Burn Frustration

>not tried on an actual DVD player

You need to do that

The "default" setup of a computer may not always include a DVD player

• 8. Re: DVD Burn Frustration
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

TDK was once a respected brand. However, it seems that things have changed, and not for the better. Many years ago, Memorex adopted a new business model (they too were once respected, but we are going back to the magnetic tape days), where they buy the cheapest discs that day for others, and then just rebrand them. Ritek adopted that same buisiness model, and now it seems that TDK has followed suit.

I recommend two brands: Verbatim (DVD-5's and DVD-9's), and Taiyo-Yuden (DVD-5's). I use Verbatim for all DVD-9's, and T-Y's for all DVD-5's.With over 2000 DVD-5's delivered, I have never had one return, or one failure. With the Verbatims, I've delivered almost 500 DVD-9's, with not one return, or failure.

One power-user does recommend a brand of DVD-5, Falcon Media, but I have never used it. He claims that in his testing, it has fewer errors, than T-Y's. Since I am still at 100% success, I have never felt compelled to change things, and, as I buy in lots of about 1000, it would be a bit, before I need more blank discs.

I also agree with John T., in the testing process. Usually, a computer's multi-drive will be the most forgiving player, that one can encounter, though not always. For client discs, I first Burn to Folder, and test with DVD software players on my PC. I then burn a disc, and test on three computers' multi-drives (different makes and models), then on six set-top players, ranging from a bargain basement US$ 49 unit, up to a very high-end esoteric. If my disc plays on all of those, then that is the best that I can do for QC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: DVD Burn Frustration
                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Under the File menu in Photoshop Elements is a Process Multiple Files tool for batch resizing your photos.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=30

Although, from your description, it sounds as though the program has successfully created your DVD files.

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: DVD Burn Frustration
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

For the semi-automation of Scaling in PS, or PSE, see this ARTICLE. It will also give you a bit more background on Scaling, outside of PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: DVD Burn Frustration
                              KB97034 Level 1

I tried it on my home theater system and it played perfectly.  It turned out even better than I had hoped.  Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. It's amazing how knowledgeable and helpful everyone is!     

• 12. Re: DVD Burn Frustration
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

That is great news!

Hunt

• 13. Re: DVD Burn Frustration

Good... now, to be able to test on your computer, you need to search and find DVD player software

• 14. Re: DVD Burn Frustration
                                    luvsfotos Level 1

This question is from some other forum member. Don't know why they're linked to my e-mail address.

Fran (luvsfotos)

> Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 20:00:52 -0600

To: corneliusfran@msn.com

Subject: Re: DVD Burn Frustration

That is great news!

Hunt

>