5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2011 5:36 PM by Noel Carboni

my raw files wont open in pse8 or dng 6.4, why not?

boycey36

hi all,

I've got a sony 580 and I cant get my raw files to open in either pse 8 or dng 6.4.

I've updated the camera raw plug-in to 6.2.0.29, which i understand does not have support for the 580.

But the troubleshoot says to try dng  instead which does list the 580 in its supported cameras.

any ideas why it wont work.

incidentally i find it very sharp practice for adobe to not support a major manufacturers raw files in a piece of software that's really not that old. (even if its not the mosr recent version of pse). I would not have purchased it if i knew i would have to upgrade every time i changed the camera body i'm using

• 1. Re: my raw files wont open in pse8 or dng 6.4, why not?
          Noel Carboni Level 7

Interesting that you consider changing camera bodies, at the expenditure of almost a thousand dollars, no problem, but you view buying a software upgrade every few years for a few hundred dollars (Edit:  less than a hundred dollars for Elements) as a big deal.

And it's hard to ignore that they do provide the DNG converter for free.  Perhaps you'll be happier with that when we figure out what you're doing wrong and get it working for you.

When you say the DNG converter "won't work", can you be a bit more specific?

-Noel

• 2. Re: my raw files wont open in pse8 or dng 6.4, why not?
            boycey36 Level 1

thanks for the reply noel,

the camera body and pse8 were purchased a couple of months apart, so not really intending to replace either anytime soon......

my issue with it not working is mainly frustration i guess.... having spent a lot of money on the camera i did hope that the industry leading photoediting software (albeit the cut-down version) would work with it without any problems. I'm very happy with pse's performance once i can actually open a file lol

When i go to the folder where i have the raw files stored and try to open with dng it doesn't show any files. (yes they are definitely in there, they can be seen fine in windows explorer, and picasa will quite happily open them)

the version of dng is 6.4.0.139

the source folder says ' no items match your search ' when i select it

• 3. Re: my raw files wont open in pse8 or dng 6.4, why not?
              adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee

Sony 580 support was added in ACR 6.3. The latest version of the Camera Raw plug-in available for Photoshop Elements 8.0 is Camera Raw 6.2. However if you download the latest DNG converter aka 6.4 you will be able to create DNG files which will be backwards compatible.

When you launch the DNG converter, click on select folder> navigate to the folder and select the folder itself. Choose the location (another folder) where the converted files (dng) will be saved. Hit convert.

• 4. Re: my raw files wont open in pse8 or dng 6.4, why not?
                boycey36 Level 1

thanks for the reply

thats precisely what i tried to do, but the folder with the raw files in it shows as empty.  ( i created a folder called sonyraw  copied all the raw files from the memory card into it, also created an intended destination file called convertedtodng) but the sonyraw folder is empty when i select it in dng (but not in explorer)

• 5. Re: my raw files wont open in pse8 or dng 6.4, why not?
                  Noel Carboni Level 7

Perhaps the confusion is this:  The DNG converter works on whole folders, not individual files.  Thus, the Select Source Folder dialog is just for selecting the FOLDER, and as such you will not see files in it.

Yeah, that's very confusing until you realize it, then you learn to ignore it.

Go to the folder containing all the raw files you want to convert, select it, then return to the main dialog, choose the other parameters, then hit the [ Convert ] button.  That'll get the job done.  Once you have .DNG files, you'll be able to open them with Photoshop Elements 8.

-Noel