8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2011 11:36 AM by digitlman

How to save a clip

FutureUSAFPilot

Hello all,

I am sorry, this seems simple, but I've not found any answer after a LOT of searching.

I have a clip defined in a preview window with in and out points.  I can move it into my timeline if I wish...

I want to "save" this clip.  Forever. Fully outside Premiere, so that I can load it back into Premiere any time I wish, or into After Effects, or some other program.

So that you get the idea...

Imagine that I view/edit an hour of footage each day on average, and along the way I find amazing clips that I CAN'T USE in my CURRENT project, but I want to save them, forever, in a folder called "SPECIAL CLIPS TO USE SOMEDAY" on my PC.

I don't want to export it, because I don't want to change or degrade it in any way... I want to save it exactly and precisely as Premiere understands the clip as defined inside Premiere (originally captured as an avi file into Premiere).

Over time, I will have amassed hundreds or thousands of these clips.

I want to, essentially, right click on the clip, and select "save clip".

Except there is no such thing....

Is there?

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: How to save a clip
          shooternz Level 6

Your clip is already saved.  It is the source clip

Premiere is "non destructive" and your source clip is a reference that will never be destroyed or altered by Premiere...unless you save over the top of it by using the same file name.

Any work you do on it in Premiere will be saved in the Project file,  That maybe all you need.

If you want a unique copy of the work you do on it in Premiere...you need to export it.  ( Thats fundamental intermediate workflow)

Dont freak out about exporting a clip or a section of it.  Thats how it is done. Choose a hi quality export setting.

otherwise ...use the source clip in the next project by importing it from its location.

BTW: I am not getting the impression from your posts that  I want to fly with you any time soon.

:-)

• 2. Re: How to save a clip
            FutureUSAFPilot Level 1

Thanks for the reply, shooternz,

I'm not sure I understand...

So let's say I have a project well under way, 10 minutes of footage edited and looking nice, and time is a-wastin'

As I continue to work, I find this amazing 5 second clip in miles of source footage that I want to save forever.  I will never see it again, because I have hours and hours and hours of video... and if I don't save it now... it's gone.  I'll never find it.

I can't export it... because I'd have to export my entire current project...

So I'd have to save my current project,

Delete the entire timeline,

Drop my 5 second clip into the timeline,

Export the timeline into some format (that might or might not be a good choice with respect to degradation),

Then reload my current project so that I can continue editing.

Did I capture this properly?

II'm not sure what my posts have to do with flight...

Thank you!

• 3. Re: How to save a clip
              Gazzaspi Level 1

This what I do to 'save a clip'.   using shortcut keys and  the 'work area bar'.

Pg Dn to go end of the clip. Then ALT "]"                 (moves the work area bar to the tail of the clip)
              Pg Up to go to the head of the clip. Then ALT "["     
              (moves the work area bar to the head of the clip)

Cntl M brings up export, check it's set to work area, make export adjustments a nessary.

Done

Gary

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to save a clip
                FutureUSAFPilot Level 1

Thanks Gary,

So, you are saying that if you have the preview window selected, and you define the work area around "the clip", when you bring up the export window... it will operate only on the clip, and not the timeline?!

That's perfect.  Well, if not perfect, then pretty close...

Now the problem is, what to save it as?

I'd like the clip to retain all information... losssless, along with the framerate, screen aspect ratio, etc... so that it is "edit ready" whenever I need it again.

Thank you!

A very helpful answer.

• 5. Re: How to save a clip
                  Gazzaspi Level 1

Hi

I would normally use the short cut key method for a clip that is already in a sequence on the timeline.

You can however, just have the source monitor selected, with the in and out points you want, hit control M to bring up export, with 'Custom area' as the default. (Your clip)

As to what is the 'best' setting, I will leave that to someone with more experience than me!

Hope that helps

Gary

• 6. Re: How to save a clip
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

A Microsoft AVI with codec set to None, Lagarith or UT will provide a lossless clip that retains all the information of the original.  (The latter two codecs must be installed separately.  A Google search will bring them up.)

• 7. Re: How to save a clip
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

As Craig says, your "Clip" is already "Saved," as it's the Source File.*  Hoever, if you wish to Export it, to use in other ways, that is a different matter, and others have addressed several ways to do that.

* For a bit of background on Saving, see this ARTICLE. Also, the PRPROJ file (the Project file) is just a database of instructions to be used, when one Exports, or does additional editing on the Project. Nothing has actually been done yet, and the Source Files are not affected. PrPro is just linking to them, so that it can extract data, to be used to display the material in PrPro, or to be used, at the time of Export.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How to save a clip
                        digitlman Level 1
                        function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

FutureUSAFPilot wrote:

Thanks for the reply, shooternz,

I'm not sure I understand...

So let's say I have a project well under way, 10 minutes of footage edited and looking nice, and time is a-wastin'

As I continue to work, I find this amazing 5 second clip in miles of source footage that I want to save forever.  I will never see it again, because I have hours and hours and hours of video... and if I don't save it now... it's gone.  I'll never find it.

I can't export it... because I'd have to export my entire current project...

So I'd have to save my current project,

Delete the entire timeline,

Drop my 5 second clip into the timeline,

Export the timeline into some format (that might or might not be a good choice with respect to degradation),

Then reload my current project so that I can continue editing.

Did I capture this properly?

II'm not sure what my posts have to do with flight...

Thank you!

you can more easily do exactly what you want, you dont have to delete your timeline.

in your preview window with your in/out points set just click on the video and drag it over to the "new item" icon at the bottom of your bin window. you will see a small + sign on your pointer and let go and it will create a new sequence that exactly matches your video settings and will drop in just the marked area of your footage into the sequence. then click Ctrl-M to export to the archival format of your choice. I would recommend h264 as it is the highest quality for smallest size ratio you will get.

that should only take a couple of seconds to do so i think it sounds like a decent solution. then just delete the sequence from your project after it renders. you can even queue it into AME and let it render in the background while you continue to edit in premeire.

good luck

1 person found this helpful