5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 8:45 AM by artist1inresidence

premiere Elements crashes my PC

artist1inresidence

After many years of using Premiere Elements, a new problem - Premiere crashes my PC. I've renedered my project, no problem. Then, during the 'burn' process, part-way through its assembling all the fragments prior to actually burning, the PC dies - every bit as effective as switching off the mains supply. Just a switched-off PC. Has anyone any ideas? [I'm Windows XP SP3, Premiere Elements 3]

• 1. Re: premiere Elements crashes my PC
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you gone to Windows Update and clicked Custom to ensure you have even the non-critical updates?

Have you gone to nVidia or ATI and downloaded the latest drivers for your video card? Have you got the latest version of Quicktime from Apple?

Have you run Advanced System Care, per the FAQs to the right of this forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

Do you have at least 30 gigabytes of free, clean, freshly-defragmented space on your C drive?

But, in addition to all of this, your computer specs seem to indicate your computer is at least 5 years old, so it could also be an indication of a hardware failure.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: premiere Elements crashes my PC
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Read Bill Hunt on BSOD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/772169?tstart=0

Firewall = Crash http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/857/cpsid_85711.html

Premiere Elements Hang/Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/792580?tstart=0

A crash will often corrupt preferences

Reset Preferences = Press/HOLD Ctrl+Alt+Shift while starting program

• 3. Re: premiere Elements crashes my PC
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with both Steve & John T. and strongly suggest looking over the linked articles and Adobe KB.

A full system hang, or reboot (the user may, or may not see the BSOD, depending on settings), is a big deal.

With a Burn operation, either to disc, or to folder, the system will be under stress, and likely more than almost any other operation that is being performed.

The available, defragmented HDD space can really come into play here, as mentioned by Steve. Knowing how much defragmented free space you have could be a contributor too - but a lack of free space will usually not cause a BSOD, which is more often the result of:

Heat

RAM issues

MoBo issues

PSU issues

A driver issue with the OS

Other factors (many outlined in those articles, or tracked down by some of the methods in those articles)

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 4. Re: premiere Elements crashes my PC
                artist1inresidence Level 1

Well, my PC man down the road gave the PC a good clean, re-

seated the boards, removed a bit of felt that was covering one of the fans

, and put in an extra 2 Gig of memory.

Now it goes from encoding through to burning and out the other end with no problem.

So, I guess it was probably hardware overheating?

Thank you all for your very rapid and useful posts - and the links to the articles.

Many thanks 

• 5. Re: premiere Elements crashes my PC
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>hardware overheating

Most likely... I built a computer for my wife a year ago, and did not get the CPU heat sink correctly mounted on the motherboard the 1st time... the computer would turn on, and then promptly turn OFF in about 10 seconds, just as soon as the CPU noticed it was becoming too warm, and the temp sensor would send a signal to the power supply to go into emergency shut down

I reseated the heat sink, and it's been running ever since