2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2011 11:50 AM by jl2000

How do I prepare AEPs for a TV commercial??

jl2000 Level 1

Hi -

I've been using AE to make animated projects that wound up on YouTube and DVD.  I think I know my way around those formats well enough.

Now I'm being asked to put together a TV commercial.  Suddenly I'm not on firm ground.

What's different about working with AE for broadcast TV?  Are there special formats?  Will I have to deliver a video tape?

Where can I read/learn correct procedures for this situation?

I have to respond to this RFP this week so any direction will be appreciated.

Thanks,

JL

• 1. Re: How do I prepare AEPs for a TV commercial??
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have to ask what the broadcaster requires. It could be any one of about 40 formats and options. The best advice I can give you is to work in full HD at 29.97 FPS comps (for NTSC countries, 25 fps for PAL) with square pixels, make design adjustments so that the important parts will still be visible when the spot is viewed on a standard 4:3 TV, decide if it's OK to letterbox the spot for SD delivery, make sure that any legally required disclaimers fall within the safe title areas, and make sure that your colors are broadcast legal.

Then, when your design is complete and approved by the client, render a lossless master and render to the format, frame size, and codec specified by the broadcaster. You'll only know what those specifications are if you ask. There is no standard for delivery. There are more formats that are acceptable than there used to be, but the only right answer is the one you get from the broadcaster.