9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2011 9:26 AM by the_wine_snob

JPEG image wont load - memory errors

darrenperry1234

hi, im trying to import a jpeg that is 608kb and 855 x 190, yet for some reason i keep getting this 'memory errors' message? ive tried to open and start a new file, but it wont import to that either.

• 1. Re: JPEG image wont load - memory errors
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be a number of things, including a corrupt file. Have you tried another image file to see if you get the same issue?

Meantime, what operatign system are you using? How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive. Fragmentation, lack of space and even spyware or tmp files on your computer can cause these kinds of problems.

Also, where did the JPEG orginate? Did you create it or did you download it from the internet? If the latter, what happens if you open it in Photoshop Elemetns and then resave it before you import it into Premiere Elements?

• 2. Re: JPEG image wont load - memory errors
            luvsfotos Level 1

HiI downloaded the photos from my Canon 7d DSLR memory card. The photos have .CR2 format. The videos have .MOV (or .MOD) format. My operating system is Windows 7. My processor is a 4 quad from Velocity Micro, I have the Micro Edge model which is very fast and I have 8GB RAM. Nothing is downloaded from the Internet. I haven't defragged for some time, so will do that now. I have Norton 360 antivirus so there shouldn't be any spyware. I'll empty the temp files.  Thanks.> Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 09:06:58 -0600

To: corneliusfran@msn.com

Subject: Re: JPEG image wont load - memory errors

It could be a number of things, including a corrupt file. Have you tried another image file to see if you get the same issue?

Meantime, what operatign system are you using? How fast is your processor, how much RAM do you have and how much free, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive. Fragmentation, lack of space and even spyware or tmp files on your computer can cause these kinds of problems.

Also, where did the JPEG orginate? Did you create it or did you download it from the internet? If the latter, what happens if you open it in Photoshop Elemetns and then resave it before you import it into Premiere Elements?

>

• 3. Re: JPEG image wont load - memory errors

Fran, are you and Darren the same person? Why are you responding to replies to his posts?

Do you have e-mail notifications turned on? If so, you'll get an e-mail every time someone posts to this forum!

• 4. Re: JPEG image wont load - memory errors
                luvsfotos Level 1

None of these are questions from me. Fran (luvsfotos)

> Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 09:24:12 -0600

To: corneliusfran@msn.com

Subject: Re: JPEG image wont load - memory errors

Fran, are you and Darren the same person? Why are you responding to replies to his posts?

Do you have e-mail notifications turned on? If so, you'll get an e-mail every time someone posts to this forum!

>

• 5. Re: JPEG image wont load - memory errors
                  darrenperry1234 Level 1

pleased to meet you fran!?! haha

ok steve, back to our issue .....

i can load other jpegs in no prob, there is loads of space and ram on my system, its not that - i use xp. i got the file from an email, its a company logo that was sent to me. i dont have photoshop so i cant open it there. but i have loaded it fine into picnik photo editing, i also tried cropping to make a small change, re saved onto my hard drive, went to load it into elements again... and got the same error message :-(

• 6. Re: JPEG image wont load - memory errors

It sounds as though the file itself is the problem -- and there could be a number of reasons for that.

Open the file in Photoshop Elements (or Paintshop Pro or the free image editor Gimp from http://www.gimp.org/) and then resave it and your problems should go away.

• 7. Re: JPEG image wont load - memory errors
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Darren,

Along with Steve's list of image editors, I'll also add the free IrfanView, as a possibility for editing the stills.

Also, take a look at this ARTICLE. It addresses many possible causes of issues and errors in PrE. Down a bit, there are additional links, and many address memory/resource issues.

As Steve points out, there can be many causes for memory/resource issues, from the system, to the Assets (and in this respect, down to the one JPEG image).

Like Steve, it seems that the JPEG, itself, could be the root cause of the problem.

You mention that it's "608kb and 855 x 190" in the OP. I have a few questions on that JPEG. I assume that the "855 x 190" are the pixel x pixel dimensions. Is that correct? Given that it's an odd size, though not overly-large, how are you planning on using that in your Project? Are you planning on placing that on the Timeline, or using it in Titler? What are the settings of your Project?

Good luck, and thanks for the info,

Hunt

• 8. Re: JPEG image wont load - memory errors
                        darrenperry1234 Level 1

hi guys,

thanks for your input as well bill - it is a banner for a company logo, it will scroll into view (on the same 'what coulour background as the logo - which was another 'background issue i had earlier)

but steve, im pleased to say that your GIMP idea worked, i saved it there then uploaded into premier and it works fine :-)

thank you

• 9. Re: JPEG image wont load - memory errors
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

It looked like it was a banner, of some sort.

What can happen, and especially with a JPEG, is that the file's header data is not completely written, or is improperly written. This is usually a fault in the image creating, or editing software. We see this sort of problem most often with JPEG's, that will not Open in Photoshop, but Premiere (both flavors) is sensitive to this issue too. The normal "fix" is exactly what Steve recommended to you - Open in a less-sensitive program, and just do a Save. Image editing programs, such as GIMP, IrfanView, PhotoImpact, ThumbsPlus (latter are not freeware), will usually be more forgiving about that header data, and will Open the images, then write complete, and good header data back to the new file, when one does a Save, or Save_As.

Had you had access to either Photoshop, or PSElements, you would likely still have had an issue.

Happy editing, and animating,

Hunt